xtm 457 motor in my savvy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boaty1

Hi all. After some questions and some help, I went ahead and bought an xtm 457 motor off ebay. It showed up in the mail today and I'm having a few other questions. Most importantly, I need to know what I need to put a rotostart on this motor. Ive heard several different options and many argue that they wont fit this motor. I need an absolutely positively for sure fit. I have heard of changing the crank, but I don't want to do that. What backplate and rotostart do I need? Just getting ready to bolt it in, if I can find a spare clutch nut and also a header pipe without robbing 1 from another truck. THANKS GUYS. Your help is always appreciated.

well i heard the xtm 457 is the same as the LRP .28 spec 3 so you can see if that plate fits if they have a plate for that mill but I'm not sure. i could be wrong about the mills being the same

The backplate for a XTM 24.7 is what you need. It comes with the one way bearing. With this backplate you can use the hpi s-25 rotostart unit.
Hobby people usually has the backplate. $23.99 part# TS1C. Use with HPI87110 $13.00. This is the set up I have always used and I know it works. The backplate is smaller allowing for more gearing options.

Another solution (I have not tried) is this backplate.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLBV6&P=7
It uses the same one way and is the same size as the stock backplate. Just has holes made for the HPI roto plate. Same part # as above. A bit cheaper too.

I have two of these motors but an running pull starts on both of them sorry. I am very happy with the motor though. It has a ton of low-end punch and pretty easy to tune. It doesn't rev as high as my lrp spec3 but it makes up for it on the low-end. I am running +3 pinions on my lst xxl and it still rips wheelies if I want it to. It's an sh based motor so I'm sure you will have no problems converting it to rotostart. One odd note. I purchased a new backplate straight from xtm and the included one way bearing would not work. It was just a tad too thick. Another note. While having my engine refreshed by rbmods at the world finals I was told the front bearings are known to develop a slight air leak after about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons. I would grab a new bearing just to have onhand. I noticed some oil residue on mine just before the 2 gallon mark just like rick said. I just broke in my spare and am going to replace the bearing on my 2 gallon motor today. Bearings are cheap $5 for a stock bearing and $10 for a ceramic from avid. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back