XS Flux making it fast and drivable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrayser

Ive had a XS flux for over a year and a half now. I started with a 2 cell battery and it was somewhat drivable. I Had it sitting on the shelf for about a year and I decided to mess around with it. I bought a 3 cell(I know) and traxxas wheelie bar that I modified. Well lets just say I cannot give it any throttle without it flipping. I was wondering what upgrades I should get? My goal is just to make it stupid fast. I read about the 2.2 tires and the traxxas 2075 servo. I will get the right wheelie bar. What do you recommend? The truck is stock right now.

Ive had a XS flux for over a year and a half now. I started with a 2 cell battery and it was somewhat drivable. I Had it sitting on the shelf for about a year and I decided to mess around with it. I bought a 3 cell(I know) and traxxas wheelie bar that I modified. Well lets just say I cannot give it any throttle without it flipping. I was wondering what upgrades I should get? My goal is just to make it stupid fast. I read about the 2.2 tires and the traxxas 2075 servo. I will get the right wheelie bar. What do you recommend? The truck is stock right now.

These are my upgrades for my Raptor:

#10105-11 - Pro-Line Big Joe II 2.2” Tires Mounted to Desperado Wheels (4) *installed*
#106730 - HPI Racing Center Universal Drive Shaft Front/Rear (2) *installed*
#106709 - HPI Racing Universal Drive Shaft Savage XS Front/Rear (4) *installed*
#109922 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x19mm (1) *installed*
#109923 - HPI Racing HD Cup Joint 5x10x15mm (1) *installed*
#109926 - HPI Racing HD Diff Shaft 5x23.5mm (4) *installed*
#110650 - HPI Racing SS-40WP Servo (1) *installed*
#106712 - HPI Racing E-Clip Eliminator Suspension Shaft Set XS (1) *installed*
#108020 – HPI Racing Aluminum Locking Hex Wheel Hub (4) *installed*
#108169 – HPI Racing Aluminum Threaded Shock Set (4) *installed*
#106732 - HPI Racing Adjustable Upper Arm Set *installed*
T-Bone Racing Thrasher Front/Rear Bumpers (2) *installed*
Bad Horsie Shock Covers (4) *installed*

You could try adjusting the initial punch down a bit on the ESC.

Sway bars help high speed turns a lot. You probably want consider rebuilding the diffs and the shocks. Once you get the low speed handling straightened out you'll want to work on the high speed handling.

I rebuilt the shocks this morning and it made a big difference. I will do the diffs a little later. What weight are y'all running in the front/rear diff? Also what weight oil are you running in the shocks front/rear?

Also I'm running a MacBook so how do I get the software to play around with motor settings?

I rebuilt the shocks this morning and it made a big difference. I will do the diffs a little later. What weight are y'all running in the front/rear diff? Also what weight oil are you running in the shocks front/rear?
I'm running 40 all around. Also have 30k in the front diff and 60k in the rear.

I have seen people using 50k / 100k. What will that give you in your diffs?
I believe you probably saw a post by me saying I was using 50k/100k but it's actually 30k/60k. You get less chance of the diffs unloading on acceleration, better steering on throttle, overall better high speed stability. The thick diff fluid and the sway bars keep my truck planted in the corners.

Would you recommend sway bars and diff fluid as a first upgrade?
Depends on what you want to do. I got mine as a box of parts in a trade with someone local, so I had to rebuild them. I would say wait until you break/wear out your ball cups on the transmission and diffs, then do the diffs when you replace the parts. The sway bars are a worthwhile upgrade at any time since there's very little you have to disassemble to install them.

Well I just spent the better part of 5 hours making a new slipper out of gasket material, changing or putting fluid in the diffs. After all was said and done it still slips and I'm not sure if its the slipper pads I made or the adjustment nut. It seems like I get the nut tight and turn a little more and its loose again. I guess I will just have to wait to get new slipper pads and I'm either going to locktite or double nut the spring. Either way I'm putting it away before its in pieces from my AR 15.

Well I just spent the better part of 5 hours making a new slipper out of gasket material, changing or putting fluid in the diffs. After all was said and done it still slips and I'm not sure if its the slipper pads I made or the adjustment nut. It seems like I get the nut tight and turn a little more and its loose again. I guess I will just have to wait to get new slipper pads and I'm either going to locktite or double nut the spring. Either way I'm putting it away before its in pieces from my AR 15.

Might be time to replace that lock nut. Once they start slipping they're no good.

Get a new nut, the slipper puts out alot of heat which affects the nylock part of the nut and not letting it hold tight.....

https://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-S...TF8&qid=1486678673&sr=8-21&keywords=Savage+XS

Seems quite spendy on amazon. as far as other places it is all out of stock currently....

https://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Slipper_Clutch_Plate_Pad_Set_p/hpi105805.htm

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=Savage+XS+slipper

Guess it is a waiting game to get things still....

Mine doesn't have any nylon? It never did. I have a older version of the xs flux if that makes any difference. I just ordered 2 sets of pads from the guy in the UK.

I saw the new nut also doesnt have a nylock portion so with that I would use a bit of blue locktite and let it setup a couple days before driving it again.....

I have the same problem with mine. I put a 3cell and it flips when I punch it hard. The wheelie bar isn't much help. I also keep burning up my slipper pads with 3cell Batts. I don't have that problem with 2s.

Latest posts

Members online

Back