XL drive cups abnormal wear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodsy

These cups have had about 5 packs put through them. They are not standard but have an extended drive shaft.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220932762549#ht_746wt_1037

2012-02-21172931-1.jpg

I've sent a message to the supplier and am lucky they didn't damage my Savage.

They made a metallic noise then all went quiet. The cap screw to the main front drive shaft sheared. Possibly saving the front diff.

Hell knows what they are made of. But it's soft as butter.

Original V extended

drive.jpg

A lot of metal missing there.

Dog bones are as new. I'm starting to think they are not HPI as stated but cheapo knock off's.

Need the extra width with the XL TVP's.

Anyone have a good source for legit parts or another option?

Cheers

Goodsy

Ok just spent the last hour on the puter looking at XL drive cups. Seems you need the upgraded XL HD dog bones when used.

My bad.

max that is what happens to the shd drive cups if you use regular dogbones . as they pop out and rub on the cup. goodsy the good news is once you get the proper dogbones these cups will still work fine. i did the same thing you did and learned the hard way as well. just file the mushrooming off the out side and they will be fine.

max that is what happens to the shd drive cups if you use regular dogbones . as they pop out and rub on the cup. goodsy the good news is once you get the proper dogbones these cups will still work fine. i did the same thing you did and learned the hard way as well. just file the mushrooming off the out side and they will be fine.

ohhhh lol... i have some xl cups i use reg dog bones on them but i stuck small pieces of fuel tubing in the cups on the difs to hold the bones in better ... maybe thats why they never done that ...

Won't he have change out the outdrives in the diff too? Not 100% sure on it though, just a thought. Cuz I know everything on the XL & Flux is SHD and the other savage models are either standard or HD. Two completely different sizes.

This problem has only affected the outer front drive cups.
No wear on any of the other cups.

Anyway HD dog bones on the way. As well as new drive cups. Mickey your advice came to late.
To me they looked stuffed so new part in.

Expensive lesson though.

Latest posts

Members online

Back