Xl 5.9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingolf

So my local hobby shop tells me hpi is as good as closed . To add insult to injury they apparently discontinued the xl 5.9. Once they are out of parts they have in stock that’s it . Anyone know of a source of parts for hpi that will be around for years to come ?

Hey guys thanks for the info . Does anyone know if HPI really is out of business ?

From what I understand they are currently looking for a new buyer , the other buyer RIPMAX in the UK must have fallen thru in the last year or so.....

Funny , put the RC trucks away for the winter and all of a sudden next spring you couldn’t even buy a savage in Canada if you wanted to . Would have never guessed that

If you're serious about using it long term just buy the parts you need now. I have a spare part for almost everything even if I never broke or had issues with it before. Look on ebay for parts. Avoid Chinese low quality stuff for diff gears.

Consumables/wear and tear items like brake disks, slipper pads and anything else just buy now. I would recommend a robinson racing gen 3 steel spur (includes beefy slipper pad) and hardened clutch bell so you're not worrying about those later.

Good point. I like lots of guys have stocked up on some parts . But some parts you don’t expect to fail do fail . For example the one way bearing ! Don’t think any shops in Canada have any more . Anyone know if they fail very often . Could you buy one still

Anyone know what the trick is to recognizing the gear shift from first to second ? I can never really tell . Turn the adjustment for second out half a turn and still can’t tell

Anyone know what the trick is to recognizing the gear shift from first to second ? I can never really tell . Turn the adjustment for second out half a turn and still can’t tell
If it's really low/early, it's hard to hear. If your slipper is slipping, it's also hard to hear. If your clutch is slipping... hard to hear.

You can hear mine shift @2:37 a few times as I go back and forth:

In my later video, it's a bit harder to hear, especially in the grass as I increased the bell from 15->16 and put smaller tires on it, so it would jump through 1st gear pretty quickly. I didn't change the 2 speed adjustment when I changed the bell/tires/pipe. Figured I'd adjust that if needed after running it a bit.

Both of those videos are me fighting with tune, the first one especially. The second is with a louder pipe, different CB and tires to try and help it out/improve the issues. By the end of video 2, it's way better than it was, but still not perfect. Probably still a bit on the lean side.

You can definitely hear the shift on the truck in the first video. Does that truck have a 2 speed transmission ?

You can definitely hear the shift on the truck in the first video. Does that truck have a 2 speed transmission ?
Yes. Just 2 speed. I had a 3-speed savage once, but it was a pain to get shifting right and I sold it along with the truck. This is just a stock savageX transmission in this one.

The more you turn tight/clockwise the later the shift point becomes.

Depending on what you drive it on, I would adjust it after driving on a smooth surface. When you go WOT (wide open throttle) have it shift towards higher rpms rather than earlier. But don't have it to where the engine sounds constant and it's not shifting.

Shifting too soon just defeats the purpose of allowing it to accelerate as quickly as possible. And if you're off-road it's going to impact acceleration negatively if it shifts too soon in the powerband.

That's just my preference, but if you strictly drive off road then follow the same steps for adjusting but be sure to only test and adjust while driving off-road and avoid on road surfaces during this time. You'll hit 3rd sooner on road but you'll be able to go through gears off-road.

It should be easy to hear if adjusted right. I bought a 5.9 xl off eBay recently for cheap because they couldn’t get it to shift into 3rd. Upon further investigation it was actually grabbing 2nd right away, and the shift the previous owner was hearing was the 2/3 shift. All because the second gear clutch was WAY to loose. A little adjustment on both clutches and it shifts like a champ now. I have found even on a fairly new 3 speed that the factory specs for tuning it aren’t reliable. They all need a little fine tuning to get shifts just right.

Well I finally got it so I can here the shift but goes into second almost right away . Of course I was ripping it on a hill and burned out another slipper pad ! Almost new pad and the nut was tightened so the spring was completely compressed . Dam

Well I finally got it so I can here the shift but goes into second almost right away . Of course I was ripping it on a hill and burned out another slipper pad ! Almost new pad and the nut was tightened so the spring was completely compressed . Dam
I would take some sand paper just to scuff the surface of the new pad, clean the surface of the metal slipper plates and gently sand those as well.

That is what mine was doing. Luckily the second gear clutch is adjustable without opening trans. I’d tighten down a little more so you can get more out of 1st gear. Helped mine a lot.

That is what mine was doing. Luckily the second gear clutch is adjustable without opening trans. I’d tighten down a little more so you can get more out of 1st gear. Helped mine a lot.
If his is shifting from 1st to 2nd too quick, doesn't he have to take the top off to change the 1st gear shift? I thought the 2nd -> 3rd was the one that was adjustable externally. Been a while since I had a 3-speed.

So my local hobby shop tells me hpi is as good as closed . To add insult to injury they apparently discontinued the xl 5.9. Once they are out of parts they have in stock that’s it . Anyone know of a source of parts for hpi that will be around for years to come ?

The thing is about this, there will always be parts for the XL available on ebay. I have had to buy a few things from America and I did buy a couple of spare spur gears from integy recently. I don't think it's anything to worry to much about. There will always be parts for them one way or another.

saying that, I have 2 x 47t spur gears and 2 x 52t spur gears and a huge bag full of plastic parts that I could probably almost make a second car out of if I tried lol. Does anyone know if any vented clutch bell will fir the XL? Does it have to be the hardened steel version if I'm running the steel spurs? Bit worries about running out of parts myself now. :|

Someone earlier had recommended Robinson racing spur gears . I did go to the web site

Latest posts

Members online

Back