X won't pull a wheelie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory976

I have about 9 tanks of 20% O'Donnel racing fuel through my Savage "X". I'm having a hard time even pulling or popping a small wheelie. My HSN seems to be set perfectly. It has great midrange and top end, but very sluggish from a dead stop on the low end. I've leaned:( my LSN out about 1/2 turn from stock, it did run a little cleaner, but nowhere near even popping the front end up off the ground. I do live in Denver, Colorado at 5280 feet, so altitude may have a little to do with it. My sliiper is pretty much locked down.

Should I tune my LSN a little leaner even more? Anyone have an X that does or does not wheelie?

Also, I heard the .25 has a very generous head clearance at 0.029 w/ 3 0.008 shims installed. Would removing one shim from underneath the head help?

which spur clutchbell combo are you running and also at 9 tanks the engine hasn't had the time to open itself up yet either it takes a good 3/4 gallons personally.

I would tune the LSN more my X wheelies to much when I run it on the grass it will even pull the front wheels up on pavement

i had same problem with mine , try buyin a alum tuned pipe and give your lsn a twik , i cant keep my two wheels down it also sounds great and looks great.

Leaning out LSN DID NOT HELP!

O.k, I've leaned my LSN to the point to where the idle became erratic and would cut out after I gunned the trigger, and it made, maybe like a 10% difference!:mad: Its just like "rrrrrrrrr" rrrrrrrrrr" when it takes off,(almost like it's overpowereing or slipping the clutch. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the slipper clutch locked down. And if it's not, if I were to tighten it even more, it just seems like the engine just does not have enough torque to pull the wheels up! Like I said, my HSN is set great. Good power there!:) What about a 14tooth clutch bell? Would that help?

I would assume a R/C truck 2 stroke is like a snowmobile 2 stroke in the fact that when I go from 850ft in Minnesota to 8500ft in Wyoming I lose about 20% of my horsepower just because of less air I'm not sayong this is the answer to your problem but I would keep it in mind

actually I'm having the very same problem. I'm using the K4.6 trinnity 35% fuel. I did get her to lift the front wheels off the ground at one point, but wont flip over, which is a good thing.... i think. It has taken me several attempts to tune her correctly and every time she sits for a few days she needs to be tuned all over again. I'm going to start recording all the settings when she runs again and will be able to help a little more.

i run my slipper tightened all the way and its also screwed and locked.
run somemore fuel through it and enjoy it a little.just keep a eye on the temps and don't get it to hot.run it,enjoy it and flips will come

just need some more run time on the motor and it will come around. You have to be very carefull with the F4.1 on the X. it is a very tempermental engine you run it to lean and your gonna blow it up fast. If you take the time and break it in then it will be a good engine. Just like said above run it and enjoy it and the wheelies will come.

i had same problem with mine , try buyin a alum tuned pipe and give your lsn a twik , i cant keep my two wheels down it also sounds great and looks great.

yea, if you have the stock plastic pipe ditch it. i would say that was one of the best investments i made. its made tuning more consistent from day to day. (i went with a werks pipe)

I can't make my savage X wheelie either. I have about 2 gallons through it and still nothing. I bought a BUKU pipe today so i should have it in the mail by friday hopefully. I have leaned out the LSN to the point that it won't even run anymore. I then start from break in settings and adjust from the very beginning and still no wheelies.

Tuning could be a problem, but considering the fact that you have only 9 tanks on the motor it is not completely broken in yet. The inital break-in that you did was required for the sake of the motors piston and sleeve setting right, but now they are sort of "polishing up" the setting between themselves. With my Savage X and my MGT 8.0, they did not start pulling wheelies until maybe the 14th or 15th tank. Once you get to there, re-set the needles to the factory settings (flush, with the exception of the idle) and give it a good tune.

Also, a good exhaust does help. I went from the stock plastic exhaust on my F4.6 to the Buku, and I could have sworn my truck accelorated twice as fast and had gained a good 10mph top speed.

yea, if you have the stock plastic pipe ditch it. i would say that was one of the best investments i made. its made tuning more consistent from day to day. (i went with a werks pipe)

the pipe isnt really the problem. granted the plastic pipe isnt that great, but i had trouble keeping my x on the ground with it installed. it took it almost a gallon, but after that, it had so much low end torque i had to up the sg/cb combo. i have the flm 1.6" tvp's and it still pulls wheelies with a 14/52 combo weighing in at almost 18 lbs (i think).

just keep playing with the tuning and keep an eye on the temps. 225-250* is optimal, but don't freak if you get above that. i ran mine at 335* for a tank or two and it didnt really hurt it in the short run, but I'm sure it lowered the pinch a greater amount that running it in the optimal temp zone.

I do not see the pipe as the problem either, however after I broke mine in and got it tuned, it was pulling the front end off the ground with ease (about the 8th or 9th tank). Since you have 2 gallons through it, I would recommend you check and clean the inside of your clutch bell. I have 2 gallons through mine and the truck started to lose some bottom end and could not pull wheelies, so I cleaned out the inside of the clutch bell with some sandpaper. After a while the inside of the clutch bell will get glazed over, causing the clutches to slip, so there is less grab. Slipping clutches also heats up the CB which could result in more frequent stripped spur gears or damaging the CB bearings. I recently torched a new set of CB bearings in less than 2 tanks of fuel and I think it may have been due to the cb needing to be cleaned out.
My $.0000002

Keep in mind, it wont wheelie if it dosent hook up. Is your truck peeling out? Try rolling into the throttle so both wheels are hooking. Get it rolling a little then floor it. That with low gearing and stiff rear suspension will wheelie. Run a 15/52 or lower with the shock spacers in the rear. It should wheelie then.

I many cases, poor engine performance symptoms not truely poor engine performance. In your case, with a "seasoned" engine, I would look for other things.

Air cleaner - is it clean?
Is your header gasket in good shape?
Fuel and pressure lines, tank lid o-ring - good seal?
Clutch - excessive wear, dirty?
Transmission - is it stuck in 2nd?
Is the slipper disk in good shape?

It's usually something stupid simple, but it seems that I screw with the engine tune for hours before I find a completely different problem!

I have an X 4.6 SS, all stock. Still breaking in my engine, finished 4 tanks. I have the hsn set to 1/4 turn out and the lsn set to 1/8 turn out. She wont keep off the ground!!! I've even flipped her 3 times, which scratched my roof! ARGH!
It could be a compression issue; a leak on the mill or the tubing and tank seal.

Latest posts

Members online

Back