1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WILDFIRE ClodBuster project

Discussion in 'Other RC's' started by Jam Racing 1, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jam Racing 1

Jam Racing 1 NPTB Monitor, Master of the known universe.... HPISF Staff

Hi all i thought I would finally post up some pix of my ClodBuster me and my son modded after I got this one back from my youngest son, it was completely abused and had many broken parts on it so we decided to build our own chassis and all to make it another MTRA Monster to go in our group. this one makes 9 we have to play with between the three of us who own them....

Started with just the 2 gearboxes and also took them down to replace a bent axle and check all the gears for wear.....
    Here is what I took away from my son when I found it laying in a corner abused and broken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We started the build with a few pieces of 1/8 plate and some channel and some angle for pieces to make parts out of notice they are about twice as thick as the ESP parts that we had

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First off we built the stirrup and notice it is all 6/32 hardware used on this, the crossbraces were built by us also using some knitting needles and some threaded rod all capped off with acorn nuts to be good looking.... also notice the channel used on the rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link bars also custom made by me and my son, how they are made is a secret so I cannot share how we did em ,but lets just say these are not going to bend ever....they are 9mm round and stuffed with carbon rod is about all i can say...

[​IMG]

these became the steering servo plates with the servo mounted to a couple pieces of angle to bolt on the plates. these mount to the stock axle stiffeners and through the original bellcrank mounts, very stiff and strong.... the steering is direct out to the axles now and this thing will steer all 4 tires with the same setup on the rear end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these pieces became the upper and lower shock mounts, my son spent alot of time giving them some shape to look nice..... and the upper link mounts are also here we made them out of 3/4 inch channel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lower shock mounts

[​IMG]

Electronics plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the batteries mount down on the lower plate we made out of some blue acrylic material i found at
    Tap Plastics, also the body mounts are made out of strips of 1/8 kydex from the same place....
    The shocks are off a savage truck and have 30 wt oil inside....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the battery mount plate down low, they are held in with a couple reusable zip ties....
    i started off with an evx esc, but soon changed to an evx 2 caz the first one gave it all up in testing..... I run 2 six cell 3000 mah batteries and this thing has some power to spare.....

[​IMG]

Course I had to paint up a body for it so i used the proline F650 shell all painted up as WILDFIRE, my son did all the masking and I slung the paint on it.... a few decals and she was ready to roll. I got a set of V Spike tires for christmas and painted the wheels blue to match the paint job....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope ya all like this truck we built, it took about a year of part time work , but the end result is just stunning and she works well in every place I have run it so far, it climbs like crazy and actually handles pretty well considering its size....
    Thanks for looking.....

• Like Like x 2
  2. X

X Conspiracy of One HPISF Staff

Great custom build there Jam! Thanks for sharing it. Question, how is the steering? It looks from the pictures as if there isn't alot of room to turn the wheels. To make that worse, I think it would look alot better with larger wheels/ tires to match the scale of the rest of the truck.

Love the super secret 4 link bars!

3. Jam Racing 1

the steering is good on in fact I have the dual rate turned down so the tires don't hit the steering plate, remember this is a 4ws rig so it steers great..... in fact it will roll over if i steer it too much caz them tires bite so hard on dirt or pavement..... As for larger tires on it, I am afraid I will snap axle housings with bigger tires on it, I think the 6.6 will have to do for now :)

4. WoodiE

WoodiE Kind of good admin HPISF Staff

Great Jam, now you've resparked my desire to build a Clodbuster myself. Good looking build. I'm sure it was a lot of fun building it with your son!

5. Jam Racing 1

We really enjoy our ClodBusters, we do like the real trucks do and have freestyles and side by side drags over old bodies and even run a roundy round course we call Chicago style racing... all in all they have to be my favorite trucks to run for just plain fun......

between 3 of us we have total nine monsters to run with, we always laugh so much havin fun , makes for some fun relaxing r/c fun......

• Like Like x 1
  6. FullThrottle

FullThrottle Well-Known Member

Nice work Jam!!
    That is a gorgeous Clod!!
    Makes me miss my 5 or 6 Clods(+ 2 Bullheads) from days gone by!!

7. Jam Racing 1

Thanks Guys we are proud of it also....

8. Gav

Gav Active Member

Looks great jam.... Sweet build, love the classic monster truck look

9. SMaxxin

SMaxxin Active Member

I haven't seen a Clod build in years, it looks great! Those tires are rare and were being bought by collectors for a pretty penny back in the day.

10. Jam Racing 1

Thank You for the comments, the truck runs 2 21 turn 550 Traxxas motors with one wound in reverse, I got them on e bay, I got those tires for a Christmas present from my wife, my son got them from someone on e bay who was reproducing them is limited quantities and has since run out of his stock..... all in all I am satisfied in the truck it always draws stares from people who see it......:)

11. Jam Racing 1

HillClimbing WildFire, Zombie Destroyer , and the JPH TXT1 Trucks

12. Jeremy83

Jeremy83 Member

Awesome build. you are a master blaster.

13. Jam Racing 1

Today I got the axle tubes for my truck, they are alloy from Hot Racing and will add a lot of strength to the truck as well as look so SWEET...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will install them after my Birthday because I have to wait till then for the wife to let me have them :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jam Racing 1

After using WILDFIRE for awhile it became obvious that the stock 5 pin drive just wasn't gonna work anymore, so the search has been on to find alternative wheels that would support the existing 6.6 tires I already have....
    Traxxas came out with the Monsterjam series of trucks and they are using a short course style wheel that is 2" on the outside and 3 inches on the inside with a 12mm hex that the ClodBuster uses to run the pin drive hubs, so we used the existing hex and cut the original ClodBuster wheels off right at the beginning of the wheels face inside, thus removing that part of the wheel that fits exactly into the 2" part of the traxxas wheels....

So I gritted my teeth and commited 4 wheels with broken pins to the dremels cutoff wheel and soon had 4 half wheels, after a bit of sanding to make them square I painted the half wheels I had to a nice blue to match the ClodBuster, the traxxas wheels already have a silver center so the blue with silver looks like it was planned that way and the back half of the traxxas wheels are black so it looks almost factory done.....

ClodBuster wheel as it comes.....

[​IMG]

it was cut off just before the center section of the wheel..

[​IMG]

these are the sections I painted blue, but decided afterward to paint them a darker blue using Ford Blue engine paint....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so after paint I have to epoxy them together with gorilla glue 5 min epoxy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so that has been one of the things I have been working on with this ClodBuster, it has been down awhile with steering mods and other upgrades so these wheels were necessary to get it back on its wheels...

Best thing is the offset changes also and will widen the truck by about an inch giving my ladder links a break by not hitting them at full lock which I have had turned down so they did not hit before...
    I will get pics of the tires mounted after the wheels have a chance to cure the epoxy a few days....

• Like Like x 1
  15. X

X Conspiracy of One HPISF Staff

Looking great so far Jam. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

16. Jam Racing 1

Glued the wheels today, used epoxy and made up a batch of epoxy putty to smooth out the transition between the 2 halves to make a smooth job and add some strength to them....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a bit narrower than a stock Clod wheel is, but the tires will pooch out a bit to protect the wheel bead from impacts......

17. Jam Racing 1

I mounted the tires on the wheels today, they turned out NICE if I do say so myself....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now i have to work on the new steering setup and I will be able to run this Big Bad Boy again......

18. Jam Racing 1

Got the steering servo mounts today, took a lil modding, cut one corner off to clearance the axle tube but now they are mounted and waiting on my servos to arrive, had to modify the lower shock mount also by cutting down one corner so the servo did not interfere with that, all in all I am happy with how this seems like it is gonna work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to fab up the steering linkages, getting close to being a running truck now.....

19. Jam Racing 1

Servos arrived yesterday, got those mounted now..... still gotta fab up a bracket for the upper link mount to keep it from turning but that's an easy mod to do, closer to mounting the gearcases to the chassis to make it mostly done.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted