Which engine for Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutnut

I know it's been asked like a thousand times but i'm looking for a new powerplant for the XL but i keep reading differing views. I'm after an engine that will accelerate quick & pop wheelies all over the place so need plenty of low - mid grunt (big block - 30/32) but also a speed freak so want good top end that screams (28). Then there's the brand issue. There seems to be the picco .28 club or the lrp 30+ club but now i'm hearing mixed views on the OS mills too...

Having no experience with these engines in a big truck like the XL i figured i'd ask here.

I will be bolting an ERCM 221T sidebleed to whatever engine i go for and if i'm honest, money is not really an issue but I want the motor to run stock rather than a full ERCM extreme mod type thing.

My initial thoughts were the LRP .32 but some suggest the 30 is better - why? Same for the Picco .28...

Rather than me ramble on, if you have experience of upgrading the XL (particularly with the 221T pipe) then please jump in! :)

Cheers

Nut

lrp .32 is great, and so is the picco. I personly like dynamite. I don't have experience with an xl, however. os and sts are also great engines. it all depends on what you personaly prefere.

Personally I would go with the LRP 32, I have had the LRP 30 and I wasn't as impressed with it as much as the LRP 32 that is in my new Savage. I am running the 221T pipe but I have the end bleed version. My theory is if the LRP 30 was better than the 32, why did they even make a LRP 32? The 32 has more power. There is no replacement for displacement.

I like the bigger is better theory also, I have an Axial .32 in my X and just love it.... lots of power and speed too.....
I also have an Ofna .32 in my MMT and it hauls that 18 pound monster around without breakin a sweat doing it.....

The LRP .32 is what i think i'll get but i don't understand how a picco .28 could compare. it has a whole 1hp less yet people recommend that over the LRP .32... why? The RPMs aren't really any higher and with gearing the LRP should in theory spin the wheels faster...o_O

Anyway, i think i'm set on the .32.

Will keep you posted... i also have an stock XL 5.9 at my disposal so will post a comparison vid once i get them all run in, tuned etc. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Back