What to do with your unused K4.6 Savage engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiantspaz

I upgraded my Savage K4.6 SS to an RB modded STS D30M and decided to install the HPI K4.6 into my Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 sport.

I little info on the Inferno MP7.5 sport, stock it has a 1.3 HP Kyosho GS .21 and the power was a joke. The buggy was intended for a beginner so the power delivery was smooth, so smooth that it got boring in a big old hurry. I would never have bought the buggy except my LHS was going out of business and I picked it up for $100.00 and it was an RTR :jamout:

Back to the the K4.6, this is a great engine. It has enough grunt to push the very heavy Savage SS around so I thought WTH lets stuff it into the Kyosho.

First off you need to buy some upgraded parts to make this setup worth doing. The plastic differential center spur gear needs to go, I replaced it with the Kyosho lightened 46T differential center spur gear which is made of steel.

Stock 46T differential center spur gear:
kyoif105_1.jpg
kyoif105.jpg

Lightened 46T differential center spur gear:
kyoifw310_1.jpg
kyoifw310.jpg

I could have stayed with the stock two shoe clutch setup but I decided to upgrade to the Kyosho three shoe setup instead.
kyoifw110.jpg
kyoifw136.jpg

You also need to get the aftermarket engine mount setup to install non-Kyosho engines. I got the King Heads setup.
khz-kp-010.jpg

The Inferno came stock with a 13T clutch bell and 46T spur gear, I knew that gearing was going to be useless with the K4.6 so I bumped up the CB to a 15T HPI racing unit. All the buggy would do was roast off all of it's tires with this gearing. After it caught traction the buggy is a missile! It was fun as hell on the road but once in the dirt all it does is donuts everytime you nail the throttle. I moved up to an 18T CB and now the buggy is so fast that once the K4.6 is in it's powerband it is gone!

The AWD Inferno is like a drift RC. The K4.6 has so much power that it just over powers the buggy sized tires. It is so much fun to be able to just stab the throttle and have the buggy jump sideways and this is on the road. I have completely burnt the tires off the rims so fun it the dirt will have to wait until I get some new rims and tires.

Most of my friends just stick their old stock engines into a box in their basement where they just sit and rust up. I try to use anything I can to make my RC's faster. It is amazing how much power the HPI Savage engines have when they are installed into a lighter platform. The K4.6 engines from HPI are reliable and hold their tunes well, also it seems that it is a very good buggy engine from my first impressions.

I need to get a new digital camera, when I do pics and vids to come.

Pretty radical DS. I'm also enjoying my k 4.6's power with the SS Savy kit it came with. You'll do well with a camera from what I can see. I base that on your effort to post a clean presentation. Good job, and get a vid on this mod of yours. I'd like to check it out.

Heading out to get a camera today, I'll try to get some pics up tonite. The buggy looks awesome.

The stock shocks for the Inferno MP7.5 sport kinda sucked so I installed TMAXX Integy piggyback shocks. For the front of the buggy the Integy shocks were perfect but they were a little short for the rears, Kyosho used the same shock body with different length shafts. I just used a spare set of savage shock ballends to make up the difference in shock length and the Integy's look HOT compared to the stockers.

I also used the HPI polished exhaust that came with my SS. For now I have my old Hellfire RTR body on the Inferno, looks like of Ivan "ironman" stewarts race trucks. I am looking for an 1/8th scale Subaru WRX STI body for the buggy but I am having no luck finding the 2004 bodystyle in this scale. Anyone even seen one of these bodies?

Cool... Getting a camera, I can't stand the fact that taking pics and driving an RC ride at the same time is nearly impossible. Dude,... Totally sounds like your deep into it. Thought about MGT shocks instead of the maxxes? Yea.....can't help on the Subaru body., but good luck on finding one.

I tried a 200mm body it didn't fit. I need like a 280 or 300mm body but HPI only makes the older 2002 WRX stly body in that size.

Cool... Getting a camera, I can't stand the fact that taking pics and driving an RC ride at the same time is nearly impossible. Dude,... Totally sounds like your deep into it. Thought about MGT shocks instead of the maxxes? Yea.....can't help on the Subaru body., but good luck on finding one.

This is a pic of what the Inferno MP7.5 sport looks like stock.
maincar2.jpg
maincar1.jpg

I think that the diameter of the MGT shocks are too big to fit past the upper A-arm.

OK took some pics of the k4.6 powered Inferno. I resized the pics to 800 x 600, I hope they are small enough, if not I will resize them again.

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

The tires are completely useless right now. I went to the closest HS to get new rims and tires but no luck. I will get some before the weekend to take some vids for you guys.

OMG, those are the baldest tires I have ever seen on a 1/8th scale buggy. That is hillarious!
BTW, did'nt Kyosho make a WRX bodied Rally version of the Inferno a couple of years ago? Might look for one of those bodies.

What are those, slicks? lol. Your upgrades sound pretty exciting.

There slicks now...roasted for sure...lol. So whats the top speed on that thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no clue. I haven't been able to get it up to top speed yet, all it does is roast off the stock Inferno rubber.

I can say that is moves out even when spinning the tires. I'll try to get some vids up so you guys can see. I'll even do one with the already smoked tires so you can LYAO.

I'll look forward to that one, DS. HPI makes a road tire, that is much like a slick with treads, in the stadium truck class. I think they might be what your looking for on this little terror. Sorry, don't have a link for ya. see if you can find them on HPI's on-line store, for a visual.

Thanks, I'll check out HPI. Proline also make a road rage in the 1/8th scale buggy class, they might be an option too.

OMG, those are the baldest tires I have ever seen on a 1/8th scale buggy. That is hillarious!
BTW, did'nt Kyosho make a WRX bodied Rally version of the Inferno a couple of years ago? Might look for one of those bodies.

Yes they did but it was a 2002 body style. I own an 04 STI so I was hoping to make a little version of my daily driver.

Here ya go. Now, bottom scroll to the right. I had a blast sticking these guys on my Tamiya TT-05 electric with a 200mm VW BUG body that I had to trim the tar of to get a trick fit. They were totally oversized for the 1/10 TT-05 and created some big-a$$ rollout to say the least. They MAY hold up to the abuse you can dish at them....for a while, anyway....lol

Those look cool as hell! Thanks Doob, I'll be checking a set of those suckers out in the future.

Thanks, I'll check out HPI. Proline also make a road rage in the 1/8th scale buggy class, they might be an option too.
Those prolines are deffinately bigger and wider. My savage can run those for pavement racing.

Oh... And one more experiment to consider, when using a slick type tire,... By removing the front wheel drive capabillity on this guy, you can harness a more efective road grip, with the traction concentrated at the rear end. So...without FWD from the drivetrain, you can eliminate front-end traction loss that sacrifices the tire tread, and takes away the load from the rear. There will be a loss in handling.

I got the Proline road rages and glued them to the Kyosho stock rims because my LHS didn't have any 17mm buggy rims, BOOO!

Fact is this thing is hard to control, stab the gas qand it is all over the place. I will get a vid once the new glue job dries, the buggy just balloons the tires and breaks the glue.

Ok, used the front of the good old F150 as a camera mount. Photobucket is being a pain. I tried to upload a vid at 640 standard and the darn site wouldn't upload it. So back out side to take another vid at 320, the quality isn't that great sorry.

It still give you the idea of how fast the Inferno will go. Had an accident in the vid, spit out the RF dogbone. Did it again later and I noticed the diff drive cup is half gone :duh:

Anyway, you'll get a laugh at least. Better vids to come, I promise.

A side note. I couldn't drive to save my life today. The buggy really doesn't like the road rage tire either, very twitchy.

I'll get the drive cup fixed and take some new pics with a camera man this time so you can catch all the flip overs and power slides that were out of the camera's veiw.

Hey, DS. WAZZ UPP?. This probably already came to mind, but does your TX allow for steering rate adjstment? If so. You might get enough room to reduce the twichiness. That, incombination with the steering end-point adjustments, brought in some. just an idea.

That Inferno can zip..... ok.. Now lets see a k4.6 in TT-01 Tammiya 1/10th sedan....lol. or an HPI RS4... HEY!....It could happen.....lol. Cool vids, DS.

Dude... Wouldn't be totally cool to make a camera mounting bracket to fit on a head set of some kind?... you know, like a motorcycle helmet, or even better, a football helmet w/ the face guard on it, so that might help in the mounting process. That way, you can take your vids anytime, any place, and use the lense to see where your driving, while you control the ride at the same time. You can then walk, or run to get better cam coverage, while you drive. This is because you'll know where you plan on going. (I hope) lol

The mount idea is kinda crazy, but it would definitely work.

I did some searching on the dreaded devil, Ebay. I scored a Kyosho Impreza Rally, basically it is an Inferno missing all of the really good race parts, for $50.00 shipped :FarleyParty:

Sounds silly but it is hard as hell to find an 1/8th scale Subaru body. I plan on frankenstiening the rest of the Kyosho Rally. I may make my oun frame and use the diffs and spare Savage arm's I have laying around to do something crazy with.

Here are some pics of the now STI Inferno.
DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

Still powered by the mighty K4.6.
DSC00079.jpg

It looks like a huge Zip-Zap, I kinda like it. The huge wheels make it look like it came from some rally anime or something.

$50 bones ...Huh. You robbed the guy....lol. Yea, The cam idea is abit hairball, but it sure be nice to be able to take your own vids while driving. Having someone else shoot your greatest dirving is a hit or miss, situation. They turn away at the wrong time, forget to turn it on, run out of tape or memory, and not know the difference, oooops! the lense cap...lol I just think it's got potential.

Latest posts

Members online

Back