What Savage do i have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FM696269

Hey guys, first post here and probably a noob one but here goes. I bought a HPI Savage today from a guy at work, ive had it running and apart from a weak brake, its all good as far as i can tell. Only problem is, i have no idea what savage it is, can anyone tell by looking at the pics? also what size engine is in it?

IMAG0217_zpseb3heojo.jpg IMAG0218_zpspimews0y.jpg IMAG0224_zpsavwzjncx.jpg

Welcome to the site FM696269!

That's a little bit of a mixed bag savage you have there. My best guess is that it is a Savage 21. I say this because of the TVPs, air cleaner, roll bar and red shock springs. You also have Dirt Bonz tires, HPI 8 spoke wheels and the engine is a HPI K4.6. The electronics box cover appears to be missing as well, this is the old style radio box. You would benefit from updating to the X style radio box.

welcome to the forum!!!

I would guess that it's either a 21 or an ss.

an SS ??? what makes you even say that ? it is for sure way before and SS and if I am not mistaken the SS also has the X in the tvp plate and this one does not... also the radio box is for sure from an earlier design as it is NOTHING like the box in my X is and mine is a hodgepodge of parts from different trucks also, although mine is mostly newer parts from a couple Savage X rigs....

I'm sure there was 3 ss kits over the years. The x being the last one, so not all SS kits have an x on the tvp's

I'm sure there was 3 ss kits over the years. The x being the last one, so not all SS kits have an x on the tvp's

You are correct. Only the savage X SS had the X TVPs. There was also the savage SS and the savage SS 4.6.

Part of what confused me at first was the hodge podge of parts on that truck. However, as I look at it closer, it could definitely be a savage SS 4.6.

Thanks for clearing that one up, I was not up on all the savage models over the years....

You could check the diff gears. 21 had 2 internal gears and the ss and 25 have the 4spider gears.

But the previous owner could have upgraded that. I know I did... :)

You could check the diff gears. 21 had 2 internal gears and the ss and 25 have the 4spider gears.

But the previous owner could have upgraded that. I know I did... :)

Actually the 25 SS came with the 2 spider gears also, at least mine did. I upgraded it with the diff mod back when I first got it

That is strange. The RTR 25 came with 4 spider gears.

Thought the SS versions where the upgraded versions..

The reason is likely because the SS came out before the 25 RTR.

I am looking at the standard parts list for both trucks though, they both list the 2 spider gear sets. The 4 gear sets are listed as option parts.

That has to be the case. An upgraded version.
I do recall there was a yellow sticker on the box about the 4 spiders..

That has to be the case. An upgraded version.
I do recall there was a yellow sticker on the box about the 4 spiders..

Unfortunately they do that quite a bit. Makes it tough to get stock parts when stuff changes so much.

Another reason to just buy upgraded parts. :)

Pretty sure that's a special edition savage 25. I remember those screened/logo'd TVP's... maybe they were just an HPI "upgrade": http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Savage_Flamed_Tvp_Chassis_Plates_p/hpi73938.htm

Could have swore they came on one of the limited/special edition rigs.

Very possible. However HPI's site only lists them as an option part for several model savages. No standard part listings are shown.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/73938?show_disc=true

hey guys, wow, didnt expect so many replies, seems an active forum, so thanks for that :)

yeah it came with 2 shells, 1 i have, but the other is at his house, ill take pictures of both monday if he remembers to bring the other in.

Do you have a link to the X style radio box and how it would benefit me from my current one?

tried tuning it for half hour yesterday, couldnt really get it right, it was either rolling with no revs, but when i turned the trim down it stalled. Then the one time i got it to tickover stationary, when throttle was applied it was held back, sounded like it was overfuelling, but adjusting the mixture needle took me back to where i was, proper pain in the ass!

also noticed when i apply full throttle, the carb only opens up half way, like i can pull the bar from the pulley to open the carb another 1/2 open, is that normal or should it be opening the carb all the way?

cheers guys

the carb should be opening the whole way. I would check the linkage to make sure that nothings binding. you may have to center your servo also.to do that, you just pull the servo horn off, and center the trim. that way, the servo "throw" is equal in both directions. then you just trim as needed.

if you pull the air filter off and look down into the carb, you'll see a sliding "piston". that's what opens and closes the carb. during idle, it should be open about 1mm. you can ajust the open by either trimming the servo, or with the idle needle.

I would set the carb back to factory settings and go from there. that can be found in the manual( if you don't have one, you can get download it for free and hpiracing.com)

one thing you can do to make it easier to tune, is seal the enginehttps://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/nitro-engine-sealing.15150/

heres a link to the radio boxhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-XL-5-9-Battery-Radio-Box-4-6-X-HXL4-/311372916531?hash=item487f45a733

just type in "hpi savage x radio box" on ebay and you get a bunch of those....the it's just an easier to use and neater box than the 21/25 box.

awesome thanks mate.

ive never took apart an engine, so unsure if i should really mess about with sealing it, might give it a go though.

yeah the linkage from the servo to the pulley is piss thin, like when i apply full throttle and then pull the carb open that extra half, the linkage bends in the middle, is there an upgrade for that or is the bar ok being so thin? its like paperclip thin.

I'm guessing that will be my brake problem too as they don't lock up, they just slow me down gently

also, I'm having to drop some fuel into the glow plug hole to get it fired up to begin with. I'm blowing through the pipe that goes onto the top of the exhaust til it comes out fuel pipe to carb, pinching it and putting it on, but it just isnt trying to fire, but the glow plug glows bright, any ideas what could be causing that?

My guess is that its a little gummy inside. Spray some wd40 in the engine and crank it. You should do that after every day of running anyway.

It (could) be you taking off the fuel line everytime and getting air bubbles in the line. Instead of taking off the line, leave it on. Youll hear the air bubbles come out as you blow on the siphon line ( the line that goes to the pipe). They make the same sound that a straw makes when your drink is almost gone.

Sorry for the double post dumb tablet.

It sounds like your servo is weak. Try centering it. If that doesnt work, you might need a stronger servo or batteries.

There is an aftermarket linkage from ofna that works. Ill post a link later

sweet cheers for the help mate. could be the batteries, i do have 2 rechargable packs with it, dunno what mah, ill post pics tomorrow.

but with the bar bending when i pull the carb open id say the servo aint centred like you say, ill get it home tomorrow and have a browse n get some more pics up

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back