What is this part used for ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzman

Hi Guys, Well have two of these now, they come as part of the roll cage set for the Savage X. I know where it fits but have no idea what it does. And before anyone says Antenna mount/support it isn't. The antenna comes out the radio box a good 50mm in front of the roll bar and this bit fits to the side of it. Found someone asking the same question on here but they never found out either. Come on someone must have worked it out.

Attachments

• DSCF0258.JPG
    DSCF0258.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0259.JPG
    DSCF0259.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0261.JPG
    DSCF0261.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0262.JPG
    DSCF0262.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 4
By the way it mounts it’s got to be for antenna surely Gazzman or perhaps guide for throttle/brake servo rod lower down?

By the way it mounts it’s got to be for antenna surely Gazzman or perhaps guide for throttle/brake servo rod lower down?
Well that was my thought to, but as you can see from the photos it nowhere close to the antenna tube, have tried it both ways round, it dosn't fit anywhere else on the chassis. As you can see from the picture of it in my last post it has a raised bit on it, bit like the fuel tank supports to locate it and then a screw hole to fix it. the only place it fits perfect is on the roll bar also why does the roll bar have this the fixing point on it if not for this piece, nothing else fits to the roll bar at this position.

Attachments

• DSCF0263.JPG
    DSCF0263.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0264.JPG
    DSCF0264.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0268.JPG
    DSCF0268.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0266.JPG
    DSCF0266.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Lol, oh yes see what you mean!
Found the same thing when fitting my long awaited sway bar set & noticed two pre drilled holes on upper wish bone supports.
Emailed HPI & replied saying they were left in for a future design that never got finalised for production, perhaps email them & see what they say got me wondering now!👍🏻

@Gazzman

SENT THIS TO HPI ASKING WHAT IT'S FOR . I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY.....

Attachments

• HPI 85239.JPG
    HPI 85239.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 3
Lol, oh yes see what you mean!
Found the same thing when fitting my long awaited sway bar set & noticed two pre drilled holes on upper wish bone supports.
Emailed HPI & replied saying they were left in for a future design that never got finalised for production, perhaps email them & see what they say got me wondering now!👍🏻
Yer, I wondered what they were for to. HPI make me laugh sometimes, They never seem to do future devolpment anymore just seem to keep discontinuing products. They need a dam good kick up the arse.

@Gazzman

SENT THIS TO HPI ASKING WHAT IT'S FOR . I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY.....
Well, after the suspense, this is the answer i got from HPI:

The roll bar comes 1 roll bar, 2 roll bar support and mounting hardware.

Thats it. thats all i got from the company...
Hi ELWOOD, thanks for asking HPI what it's for but found this in the forum from a thread by someone asking the same question and the reply from them was what's quoted above, about as much uses as a chocolate teapot.

sure does look like the black part I used on my throttle/brake linkage

Attachments

• DSCN6938.JPG
    DSCN6938.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN6939.JPG
    DSCN6939.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN6940.JPG
    DSCN6940.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN6941.JPG
    DSCN6941.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 9
WOW , WE HAVEN'T MADE MUCH PROGRESS , GUYS WERE LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THE SAME PART 9 YEARS AGO ON THIS HERE FORUM : POST WAS :LITTLE ROLL BAR PART .

AND JAM YES THAT DOSE LOOK LIKE YOU FOUND A USE FOR IT , CAN'T WAIT TO HERE BACK FROM HPI .....

Attachments

• HPI  DUNSEL.JPG
    HPI DUNSEL.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
Jam1 siad, sure does look like the black part I used on my throttle/brake linkage
That's not the same part Jam 1, look closely at the part in my photo at the start of the thread. the screw hole on yours is in the centre of the bit, on this it is offset to the left.

Attachments

• DSCF0167.JPG
    DSCF0167.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0169.JPG
    DSCF0169.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
WOW , WE HAVEN'T MADE MUCH PROGRESS , GUYS WERE LOOKING FOR AN ANSWER TO THE SAME PART 9 YEARS AGO ON THIS HERE FORUM : POST WAS :LITTLE ROLL BAR PART .

AND JAM YES THAT DOSE LOOK LIKE YOU FOUND A USE FOR IT , CAN'T WAIT TO HERE BACK FROM HPI .....
Yep... 9 years for a simple answer to a simple question. LOL. We would make good Politicians don't you think.!🤣

LOOKS LIKE THE SAME PART TO ME. I'M SURE "JAMMALAMMABINGBANG 1" MODIFIED THE PART TO FIT HIS NEEDS AS WE ALL DO..... KINDA LIKE THIS :
Well it maybe it is but if Jam 1 had to modifed it, which he has if it is the same part then HPI didn't intend it for that application so back to the original question what is it meant to be used for.

sure does look like the black part I used on my throttle/brake linkage
I honestly don't know where that black part came from,But I have a habit of hoarding parts and things for my RC Trucks, I was redoing the linkage for the throttle/brake and while searching thru my stuff I located this part among the goodies like linkage rods and such, if you look at the way I have it mounted to the servo horn it is bolted to the arm in 2 places and I am using the big slider hole to put on the override springs and other bits so it works like it should.... I have been in this hobby since about 1985 or so and I am able to see how something should work and modify parts to fit my needs, that part may have been from OFNA or HPI or some other source I really do not remember where i got it I just know it fit the need of that particular item and I used it. that to me is what this hobby is about....

I'm not arguing the point, I just wanted to know what HPI's intended use was for it. After all it comes with the X rollcage kit and all the other parts in the kit are used with the rollcage plus the rollbar has a place that it fits exactly. I just wanted to know what its purpose was.

Ya I too am interested on what HPI's intent was for the part, maybe it is an antenna tube I have no idea , my savage was built from a box of parts from a member here so my experience with the Savage is limited... but I do know I used that part or similar for my linkage...

HPI PART 85239

RESPONCE FROM HPI :

The part you marked is an aerial tube support which mounts to side of chassis from many years ago when 27Mhz radio was used with long aerial tube.

Regards

Robin
Product Co-Ordinator

Of course it had to be something dumb like that, I remember the 30 inch long antennas on 27 or 75 band radio systems.... all that wire was a real PITA to deal with.... long time ago I used to use a piece of lexan scrap with holes in it so I could lace all the wire thru that and servo tape the whole deal down on top of the receiver...

I knew it was something on those lines, strange though as back then the carry handle was metal & didn’t think you could fit savage x handle to older TVPs!
Thanks for update Elwood. 👍🏻

knew it was something on those lines, strange though as back then the carry handle was metal & didn’t think you could fit savage x handle to older TVPs!
Thanks for update Elwood. 👍🏻
Your right they were metal back in the old days but the plastic handle does fit the older TVPs. My old 25 has the old stlye chassis with a platic carry handle. Never thought about the old 27Mhz radio gear with the mile long ariel wire. It would have allowed you to loop it back on it self to keep it under the body. Wish I had known about it back then, could have saved a fortune on snapped ariel tubes from landing upside down.😜

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back