Weight Distribution (4-Wheel Scaling)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

Yep, it's me again...

I may or may not be the only one, but I have always wondered how well balanced my Savage is. After looking at some of my race-car stuff, I decided to "scale" my Savy like a 1:1 race car, by checking the weight at each wheel. Here's what I did-

Here's an old Sunbeam digital scale I had collecting dust...
savagescales003vl5.jpg

I then made three stacks from magazines and a box that were exactly the same height as the scale-I used a level to be sure.
savagescales002kh7.jpg

There we go. I set the truck down and gently pressed on the center of the truck to settle the suspension-the magazines turned out to work great, they slid with the tires as the suspension moved.
savagescales004gf9.jpg

I switched the scale right to left and turned the truck to be able to check the weight at each wheel. I also made several weighs at each corner to get as accurate reading as possible.

RESULTS

The truck: Savage X 4.6 RTR, Dirt Bonz on Warlocks, polished pipe w/deflector, center skid, 5-cell hump pack, everything else stock or stock weight.
*Note-the fuel tank was empty during this test. A full tank would affect the test by a very small margin.

Weights in ounces:

LF wheel-40.8 oz RF wheel-43.7 oz

LR wheel-46.5 oz RR wheel-45.5 oz

Here's how it all breaks down:

Front weight-84.5 oz Rear weight-92 oz
F/R Weight Distribution- 47.9%/52.1%

Left weight-87.3 oz Right weight-89.2 oz
L/R Weight Distribution- 49.5%/50.5%

Total Weight- 176.5 oz, (or 11lbs. 0.5oz)

Most relatively stock Savages should have a similar balance; different wheels/tires or bodies should change the weight pretty evenly at the wheels, as would the absence of a center skid. A full fuel tank would make the left side a touch heavier than the right, and very slightly more rear-heavy. Overall, I'm impressed at how well HPI kept such a big truck so evenly balanced. Your results may vary though-I'd like to see some other people's results!

Can you tell i was a little bored today? :chainkiller:

Latest posts

Members online

Back