Water Proof ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

I have noticed quite a few guys water proofing their stuff.

This is another one of those gimics started by our good buddies over at traxxas.

There is no reason to water proof your truck unless you plan on making it into a boat or submarine.

Running your truck in water is bad not only for your truck. The water causes rust on all the steel parts of your truck; Bearings, bolts, axles. The mud causes extra load on the drive train which is bad for your motor and Drive train parts. The mud also adds extra weight which will cause you to break more parts and will cause suspension issues and not to mention that it makes clean up about 4 times as long. Another big issue is that water in the air filter makes it hard for your motor to breath and in the worst case sucking muddy water into your motor could mean death to that mill.

Long story short don't worry about water proofing your truck just don't run it in water.

#1- They (Traxxas) only sell electrics as Waterproof.

#2- It doesn't hurt to waterproof your electronics. Puddles do sneak up on you. And my R/C used to always hunt down the first puddle/river/drainage ditch/creek it could get to during a run-a-way. (before I got Spektrum)

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story short don't worry about water proofing your truck just don't run it in water.

i agree with this for my trucks caz i don't run my in snow or rain.

might not be a bad idea for some you you savage-lovers that run in the snow or huge mud puddles tho.

Come on Alex, we all know the downsides to running in water but It is something about the 4wd, truck and when mud is around I gotta go driving through it....same thing in my 1:1 ride, haha.

I just be careful of what I do drive through and make sure to let them dry out really good if it does get wet. Then a REALLY good bath and drying when done ASAP.

I agree with just no running it in water but on occasions a puddle here and there has snuck up on me.. I''' tay away from water proofing, big reason why i got rid of my offshore boat.

ya alot of u guys are lucky lol you get to bash all year long!! lmao always to much snow here during the winter lol

my revo is waterproofed because i drive it winter, we make a nice in the yard with jumps and stuff, its a blast, and my truck looks like a giant snoball when I'm done, i hang from the rafters and spray a little wd40 and let it drip dry, it still looks brand new
ive seen vids of people running there summits, completely submerged and theres just no reason for that, other driving in the snow, i always try to stay away from puddles and mud

Ican understand not wanting to ruin elec's. but maybe I don't know much, but how in the world would you water proof your mill. I don't think its possible. Bashing is great. waitng out this snow Is getting to me. Deffanatly not worth destroying a mill. Plus last time in the mudd. Only a week of clean up. Cant wait for better weather.

H20?????
i don't run my savy in the yard,sand,tall grass, pavement,mud,water,skate parks, on and on.
bottom line is if the track isn't runnable I'm working on my savy. i don't want to break it in some water or smash it into a curb. i want to tear it up on the track.
crazy8-1.gif

as far as waterproofing your mill... the only thing i do make a splash shield for air filter, the top of a pactra spray can works awesome, just ream a hole in the top and slide it over the filter, put the clip and your all set, i also put dielectric grease on the terminals for my ezstart on my revo, its the only truck i run in the winter

as far as waterproofing your mill... the only thing i do make a splash shield for air filter, the top of a pactra spray can works awesome, just ream a hole in the top and slide it over the filter, put the clip and your all set, i also put dielectric grease on the terminals for my ezstart on my revo, its the only truck i run in the winter

great idea! I'm gonna get a tat of my first picco .28! wait ! a tat of my first picco .28 in my savy with out the lid.. that will be sweet..

money is always the issue
Same here man LOL.

As far as waterproofing goes, I don't think it is a bad idea depending on where you live. The savvy radio boxes do a pretty good job of keeping out splashes of water, but where I live it rains a lot (Northern California), so even on sunny days when I go out to the bashin spot the grass is sopping wet. I do pretty much get to bash year 'round but my truck usually ends up soaking wet and covered in slightly damp dirt, even if it hasn't rained in a few days, just because it is wet here so much it takes a long time for everything to dry out. If I waited for it to be really dry I would only get to run like two months out of the year LOL. Other RC's like the Blitz's could really use some protection from water where I live even if your not hitting puddles.

a tat of, a while truck would be BIG and EXPENSIVE, i have a picture of a engine, drwan new school/graffiti style, that will be next, on the other side of forearm, its going a whole rc-related theme going on down there

their is a video on youtube on how to waterproof a esc.with plsti dip.let me say this i tried it and fried my esc.if anything i whould just plasti dip the seam of the esc but not the board. like the video shows.i learned the hard way.plus if u open the esc u void the warrinty like i did and your 250 in the hole

Come on Alex, we all know the downsides to running in water but It is something about the 4wd, truck and when mud is around I gotta go driving through it....same thing in my 1:1 ride, haha.

I just be careful of what I do drive through and make sure to let them dry out really good if it does get wet. Then a REALLY good bath and drying when done ASAP.

Well you could find a really big dirt hill for the 4wd :)

Just throwing my $.03 in the ring (+ interest).

Waterproofing is a matter of taste - just like sand proofing (for the Baja 5B folks), mud-proofing, gravity-proofing (if someone figures that one out, let me know - it will save me a ton of money and time!).

Traxxas is a manufacturer who deals with primarily entry-level friendly vehicles. That's not to say they don't have race able vehicles, but they design to the masses, and they probably are tired of customer support calls, complaints, etc from folks who have done exactly what the manual told them NOT to do.

I think it is just a way to increase marketability, and cut down on overhead and support costs.

Want something waterproof? Get a submarine. Otherwise, use your head and at least understand there are repercussions for being a bonehead :)

Bob

Well said bob.

If trx has there way you will be seeing them in walmarts and toys r us soon. That just shows you what the mind set and goals of trx is.

Thought I would throw this in here. HiTec just came out with there own line of water proof servos. Don't have a link as I saw them in the new RCCA mag but there was a pic of them functioning in a tank of water. Suppossedly they test them fully submerged for 30 minutes, with power to them.

Thought I would throw this in here. HiTec just came out with there own line of water proof servos. Don't have a link as I saw them in the new RCCA mag but there was a pic of them functioning in a tank of water. Suppossedly they test them fully submerged for 30 minutes, with power to them.

I saw that too....about time someone besides traxxas came up with one. I haven't found any for sale yet thoughmoney man

Well said bob.

If trx has there way you will be seeing them in walmarts and toys r us soon. That just shows you what the mind set and goals of trx is.

I actually hope that DOES happen! More people getting involved in R/C is good for everyone. Traxxas was my first R/C vehicle, mainly because that's what I had heard of. The hobby needs entry level hobby grade stuff to get more mainstream i.m.o. I think their model is working well and I wish the other companies would do more to get new people. I LOVE HPI but without buying that Revo I may have never discovered them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back