Venting tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renots

I was wondering if anyone vents their tires? I’ve heard it helps with ballooning and extends the life of your tires.

What do you mean by this?

As in having a hole to let the air escape freely?

Pretty sure most rims come with vent holes already done?

I vent the rims 3 1/8 inch hole evenly spaced around the inside of each wheel, a hole in the tire can lead to tearing and loss of an otherwise good tire.....

So, I saw a video where someone taped up the rim holes and then had a circle drill on the tires... I’ll try and post a link to the video. See what you guys think.

I don't wanna say this is stupid..... But I'm pretty sure this is stupid ?

Why block the hole in the rim, just to drill holes in the tyres... To me thats dumb. You're moving a hole from a material that is more resistant to wear and tear to a material that is not very resistant to wear and tear.

I'm no expert in this but I'd say to avoid this, especially considering that tyres and rims aren't cheap...

Why block the hole in the rim, just to drill holes in the tyres... To me thats dumb. You're moving a hole from a material that is more resistant to wear and tear to a material that is not very resistant to wear and tear.

I'm no expert in this but I'd say to avoid this, especially considering that tyres and rims aren't cheap...
Haha!! Thanks!! I just wanted to know what you guys thought. Seems interesting... but, I think I’ll probably pass on it.

That arrma talion is pretty sick though!!

I think the reason to do it is centrifugal force. Naturally, the stuff inside the tire is trying to go to the tread of the tire when spinning. Basically when you vent the tire instead of the rim you are working with the laws of physics instead of against it (as far as getting water, etc, out).

Also, per Proline's website:

Last edited:
I think the reason to do it is centrifugal force. Naturally, the stuff inside the tire is trying to go to the tread of the tire when spinning. Basically when you vent the tire instead of the rim you are working with the laws of physics instead of against it (as far as getting water, etc, out).

View attachment 7174

View attachment 7175

well centrifugal force will tend to throw water to the tread side and I know ProLine recommends cutting holes into the tread face, they after all manufacture and sell tires and a torn tire will need replacing and if you have a set of 3 due to one tearing you will of course buy another to complete the set..... I still vent the rim....

well centrifugal force will tend to throw water to the tread side and I know ProLine recommends cutting holes into the tread face, they after all manufacture and sell tires and a torn tire will need replacing and if you have a set of 3 due to one tearing you will of course buy another to complete the set..... I still vent the rim....

How's that tin foil hat fit? Conspiracy theories and all.......

Can't force others to take good advice. The person in that video is not the only person doing it. In fact, it's relatively commonplace in high power, big tire setups. Go take a swing by the Arrma Forum if you don't believe me.

Tin Foil hat ????? HUH ???? so now you mocking me???? if you don't think tires tear at holes cut into them then maybe you need to go into the real world and see just what can happen, I saw a guy throw the whole foam insert setup out that small hole he cut into his tire, he was wondering how he was going to get it back inside the tire so I am just stating what I know another occasion a drag guy actually has a tire just explode off the wheel and all we can figure is it split where it was vented and just threw the whole thing off the wheel while the sidewall was still glued on the wheel, but maybe that is not what is wanted here by some guys... Tin foil hat INDEED!!!!!

View attachment 7174

View attachment 7175
Oh wow!! So, it seems like a good idea then.

I've been putting holes in my tires for 15+ years. I run in wet conditions a lot, wet grass, snow, so water always ends up in the tires. Without holes in them, the water stays in there, destroys the foam and makes it way out of balance. Whenever I bash in an area that was wet, I'll find a long dry spot, then spool the truck up to WOT a few times and it sprays almost all the water out of the tires. DO NOT DO IT when holding the truck up in your hand... unless you want a gross tire water shower. I've done it... it is not pleasant.

I use a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel at a relatively high speed with very light pressure. Then it more burns/melts a hole in the tire and doesn't leave any jagged edges. It also helps avoid you snagging the foam.

I know some say that sealing the wheel holes and gluing properly without any holes anywhere is best.. but any time I run my trucks, there always ends up gaps at the bead where the glue lets go and I'm not going to sit there after every 5 minutes and check that my tires glue is holding 100%. Putting holes in the tires works for me.

I don't run in dirt/sand hardly ever though. 75% grass/25% skate parks. So I don't have to contend with dirt/sand really getting in the tires.

I've been putting holes in my tires for 15+ years. I run in wet conditions a lot, wet grass, snow, so water always ends up in the tires. Without holes in them, the water stays in there, destroys the foam and makes it way out of balance. Whenever I bash in an area that was wet, I'll find a long dry spot, then spool the truck up to WOT a few times and it sprays almost all the water out of the tires. DO NOT DO IT when holding the truck up in your hand... unless you want a gross tire water shower. I've done it... it is not pleasant.

I use a 1/8" drill bit in my dremel at a relatively high speed with very light pressure. Then it more burns/melts a hole in the tire and doesn't leave any jagged edges. It also helps avoid you snagging the foam.

I know some say that sealing the wheel holes and gluing properly without any holes anywhere is best.. but any time I run my trucks, there always ends up gaps at the bead where the glue lets go and I'm not going to sit there after every 5 minutes and check that my tires glue is holding 100%. Putting holes in the tires works for me.

I don't run in dirt/sand hardly ever though. 75% grass/25% skate parks. So I don't have to contend with dirt/sand really getting in the tires.
Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, the more research I do, the more people I find vent their tires and swear by the practice.
I’m going to give it a try, just have to find a drill bit that won’t leave any tears or rips in the tire.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back