Venom Fail-Safe and Smart-Temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker

About 2 weeks ago I ordered a Venom Failsafe & Smart Temp, it finally made it's way to Japan and onto my Savage. Here's a quick write up =)

I found the failsafe on eBay and got it for 29.99 shipped. I know thats a bit more than other failsafes on the eBay but for what it does I figured it was worth it.

According to www.RCHopups.co.uk, is

"The All-in-One On-Board Computer R/C enthusiasts have been waiting for! The Venom Smart Temp includes a Temperature Monitor with peak temp memory, Traditional Radio Fail Safe, Digital Voltmeter and the industry’s first Overheat Fail Safe™ with programmable Throttle Limiter. F°/C°.

The Venom Overheat Fail Safe™ is the best way to protect your nitro engine from serious damage that can occur when a nitro engine overheats. Once the overheat temp is set, the VST will constantly monitor engine temperature. In the event the temperature exceeds the set temp, the VST will engage the overheat Fail Safe and limit the percentage of throttle available until the engine temperature drops 5° C (9° F) or more below the set point. After the temp drops below the set point, the Overheat Fail Safe™ Mode will automatically disengage and return the model to its full operating potential."

Installation is easy, just pick a place out of the way of any moving parts (servo head, spur gear, linkage etc) and secure it with your preference of securing devices (Velcro, 2 sided tape, adhesive etc), plug your throttle servo into the failsafe unit, and plug the failsafe into your receiver where the throttle servo would normally plug in. From there, USE THE INSTRUCTIONS to help you tune your Failsafe. It's very easy to do and takes about 5 minutes.

After getting it installed on my Savage, I tested it out comparing the temp displayed on the built-in screen to those on my duratrax temp gun, the temps matched perfectly at room temperature (74 degrees). After running the truck for a few minutes I checked the failsafe against my temp gun again, the failsafe read 253 and my temp gun read 247.8 which is understandable due to the temp sensor for the failsafe being a bit closer to the heat source.

Overall I'm impressed with the failsafe, it works as a normal failsafe activating the brakes should it lose radio signal, monitors temperature and helping to prevent you from destroying your engine should it overheat, and monitors volts activating the brakes should it drop below your desired volt settings.

parker,have you had the fail safe kick in yet due to temps or low volts?

Yes I have, I set the engage temp to 250F (a lower temp than normal to force it to engage), once my truck hit 250F it limited the throttle to 40% until it went down to 240F, once it went down it disengaged and allowed normal use to resume. You can set the throttle limiter to 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, and 80%.

You can set it to whatever voltage you would like the failsafe to kick in at, mine is set to 4.2V and used the test function to test it. When the power drops below your set limit it activates the breaks automatically. It also acts as a normal failsafe, if it loses signal it hits the brakes. I tested that out by turning off my radio while driving towards a wall, the truck stopped right away.

I just used Velcro to attach it to the top of the radio box but I'll get some pics up when i get back =)

That thing sounds like a great investment especially on high dollar engines. I might just pick one up. Nice work....post some pics.

It also acts as a normal failsafe, if it loses signal it hits the brakes. I tested that out by turning off my radio while driving towards a wall, the truck stopped right away.

You show faith by doing that! Sounds like a great product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back