Using 2s LiPo, what pinion gear should I use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor

Hi what pinion gear can I upgrade to with just using 2s LiPo?

Welcome to the Forum! Pinion gear selection has to do with more than batteries. What tires are you running, is it a stock motor/esc, and what size spur gear? Also is this a stock weight truck or has it been upgraded with lots of aluminum or alloy parts? What do you mean by "upgrade"? Do you want more wheelie power or top speed?
That being said you can usually go a couple teeth either way and be okay. But you need to keep an eye on Temps any time you make a change.

Welcome to the Forum! Pinion gear selection has to do with more than batteries. What tires are you running, is it a stock motor/esc, and what size spur gear? Also is this a stock weight truck or has it been upgraded with lots of aluminum or alloy parts? What do you mean by "upgrade"? Do you want more wheelie power or top speed?
That being said you can usually go a couple teeth either way and be okay. But you need to keep an eye on Temps any time you make a change.
Hi I have a stock raptor and when I pull throttle it takes about 2 seconds to respond and does not have much power on pull away is there away to fix this

I'd start by checking your slipper clutch. Make sure your batteries are fully charged and check for binding in the drivetrain.

I'd start by checking your slipper clutch. Make sure your batteries are fully charged and check for binding in the drivetrain.
Hi it has been like this since I took it out the box so does it mean it was not set up correctly

Any RTR needs to be checked. But if you got it brand new and its that way, I'd start at the slipper. From a dead stop when you punch it, does it make a high pitched noise?

Any RTR needs to be checked. But if you got it brand new and its that way, I'd start at the slipper. From a dead stop when you punch it, does it make a high pitched noise?
No it's like it takes a second for my hand remote to use the car and it's not to fast on pull away

Yeah I'd tighten your slipper clutch. Make sure your gear mesh is good, and maybe even make sure the set screw in the pinion is there and tight.
Just remember that RTR just means you have everything. Not everyone has the same work ethic, and whoever assembled your model has off days as well. That's why you test drive a 1:1 car before you buy it.

Yeah I'd tighten your slipper clutch. Make sure your gear mesh is good, and maybe even make sure the set screw in the pinion is there and tight.
Just remember that RTR just means you have everything. Not everyone has the same work ethic, and whoever assembled your model has off days as well. That's why you test drive a 1:1 car before you buy it.
Ok cheers

The XS Flux has a fixed gear mesh that can't be adjusted. With the stock idler gear you can only go larger on the pinion gears. The stock gear is 28 teeth, and you can fit a 30, 32, or 34 tooth in there. That would make the truck faster but with less punch off the line.

If you buy the different idler gear (part number 105809) then you can fit a 24, 26, 28, or 30 tooth in there.

What brand of battery are you using? What is its capacity (mAh) and C rating? That might be affecting your launching power.

The XS Flux has a fixed gear mesh that can't be adjusted. With the stock idler gear you can only go larger on the pinion gears. The stock gear is 28 teeth, and you can fit a 30, 32, or 34 tooth in there. That would make the truck faster but with less punch off the line.

If you buy the different idler gear (part number 105809) then you can fit a 24, 26, 28, or 30 tooth in there.

What brand of battery are you using? What is its capacity (mAh) and C rating? That might be affecting your launching power.
Hi I am 1 LiPo nvision mah 3700 45c 7.4 battery and a LiPo Orion rocketsport mah 4200 25c 7.4 battery

Those seem like quality batteries, so I don't think that's your problem.

When you say that it takes 2 seconds to respond, do you mean that it sits there without doing anything at all for 2 seconds, or does it make noises?

If it's not making any noise while it's sitting there then the problem is likely in the motor or speed controller. If it makes a bunch of noise without going anywhere, then the problem could be the slipper clutch like Rooky said.

Those seem like quality batteries, so I don't think that's your problem.

When you say that it takes 2 seconds to respond, do you mean that it sits there without doing anything at all for 2 seconds, or does it make noises?

If it's not making any noise while it's sitting there then the problem is likely in the motor or speed controller. If it makes a bunch of noise without going anywhere, then the problem could be the slipper clutch like Rooky said.
Hi it makes the same noise as when you move the wheels back and forward by hand I have spoken to shop where I purchased the truck and they are willing to send some parts out for free so I'm taking it to my local hobby shop tomorrow to find out what's wrong

Hi it makes the same noise as when you move the wheels back and forward by hand I have spoken to shop where I purchased the truck and they are willing to send some parts out for free so I'm taking it to my local hobby shop tomorrow to find out what's wrong
Thanks you for the help

I don't think this is as likely to be your issue, but a problem I had with my XS when it was new is the tiny setscrew that holds the pinion gear onto the motor shaft came loose. Yours is almost guaranteed to come loose at some point if you don't pull it out and threadlock it.

I thought I mentioned that. I meant to.

Either way, it bears repeating, I've had that happen on quite a few occasions on different rigs.

Let us know what the issue is. I'm curious.
Hi just been told by my hobby store that i have dead spot in my speed controler on pull away so I called hpi and the bloke told me that on the new modle xs it has a new esc that does have a delay on start to stop it keep backfliping so now I no lets go bashing

I just looked at hpiracing.world and they sell a programming box. I bet you could tune it out.
Hi I also have the program box I'm just getting used to using it so far the truck still does the same on puller way but if some one does no how to change it I would like to no

So HPI isn't using a Castle Creations ESC any more? I got my XS only a couple of months ago and it definitely has the Castle electronics. I can program it using the Castle Link software on my computer with the USB adapter from Castle.

If you can program out that behavior, it would likely be a setting called "punch control," or if it's still a Castle unit, "Torque Control."

I tried Torque Control on my big Savage, and it made the truck behave kind of like you're describing. That could be your problem.

So HPI isn't using a Castle Creations ESC any more? I got my XS only a couple of months ago and it definitely has the Castle electronics. I can program it using the Castle Link software on my computer with the USB adapter from Castle.

If you can program out that behavior, it would likely be a setting called "punch control," or if it's still a Castle unit, "Torque Control."

I tried Torque Control on my big Savage, and it made the truck behave kind of like you're describing. That could be your problem.
Hi I have the flux reload v2 program box so not sure what to set it on

What is the exact model of your ESC? It should be printed on a sticker somewhere on the ESC.

Yeah, you have the Flux EMH-3S. I have the Vapor Pro. That's why I was confused.

Here is the instruction manual for your ESC:
http://hpiracing.world/assets/documents/instruction_manuals/112953-emh3s_esc-glb-m-v1.pdf

On page 10 there's a table that shows all of the different settings you can program with the Reload V2 programmer. The one that would change the way your truck launches is setting 4: Start Mode. The default setting is 5. If you want the truck to launch harder you can increase it, or if you want it to launch softer you can decrease it. I found a video where a guy shows you how to change the settings:

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back