Used a DX3S.....Crashed my car...Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purenitro

Owner of Extreme RC Mods
So I have been using a hi-tech agressor for a few years now and wanted something better. My buddy has a couple DX3.0's that have been great for him, I'm talking all you can see is a dust trail far in the distance his range is so good.

Ever since I picked up this DX3S I have had my doubt's, although the telemetry is not hooked up it would flash on the screen if I got over 50 ft but it would still control just fine. The other day I was just warming up a strung out .18 TZ in my RS4 SS, I had put the new radio into the car because it was "new". Well just as I'm ready to pull some wot passes the car just goes WOT accross the lot and into a curb!!! Then it sat there and screamed it's little lungs out as I ran for it's life lol.

I'm not very happy with this radio, I also believe that it was the cause for the wot with my savage. I previously thought it was my fault due to a linkage issue, but it did the exact same thing.

I was standing at the cone in front of the car, it lost control where I am standing in the pic and then hit the curb behind me in the distance..... That's pretty bad range for a radio like this I would think?

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03121.jpg

DSC03118.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

And the video where I believe the radio lost signal.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=MOV03017.flv

#1 thats a fast little sucker

#2 the radio is junk, send it off for refund imo...

DO NOT INSTALL ON YOUR BAJA!

countless reports of runaways with spektrum radios, HpiBajaForum has many horror stories.

Seems most switch to the Futaba 3pm FAAST system or even bigger the 4pk, some even switched to Nomadio React System.

Sorry to hear buddy!

Not to be the master of the obvious, but to loose signal at that range is unacceptable, sorry about that carnage.

I ran my savage ( 4pk ) so far out it was hard to see all without a glitch. Like I keep saying you can get one from Tower with 3 easy payments. Good luck with the re-build.

JR used to make some of the best stuff. I don't know where they went wrong with this. My 2.0 3.0 and DX3R are flawless. Only lost sig on my 3.0 once near the hi-way. I figured it was a ham raido operater. Sucks bud that's for sure. Fail safe ftw.. Looks like boycott the 3s.

Any other 3s owners have issues ? I know there a few on here. Chime in and give us ammo against horizon hobby.

I have a DX2.0 and a DX3.0 and I haven't had any real issues. A time or to the truck servos would act funny but it ended up being the Rx was glitching. I replaced it and it's all good again.

Man that sucks Pure. Good luck on the rebuild.

+2 Futaba 2.4Ghz 3PM FASST FTW. I run 2 and love them.

I have the DX3S and have had no issues with it. I live in the center of a 20 acre field and can run my truck to either end of it without a problem. Sorry to hear that this happened Robin.

For some reason I think its the 3s that gives most problems. I have never had an issue with my DX2 since I have had it (over a year). I have ran it in a revo, savage, xxx-t, wheely king, and a few others without any problems.

just took another look. that dogbone really tells the speed-story here. what is that machine hooked up to the car battery? your bump-starter?

sorry to hear robin that is some cool damage tho on the plus side. lol. i run a DX3S and love it. easy to use with great options. so far so good, knock on wood.:duh:

Yes frddyj that is my bump, boat and airplane starter, it works for what I need it for lol.

I put up this thread so people can test their gear or make a better decision when getting a radio. I realy like the radio itself, easy to use, feels nice and it's small. It's just too bad that it has issues :( Maybe it has something to do with running only 4 AA's compaired to the standard 8?? who knows!

robin do a range test with the car just turned on have a buddy take the truck to a certain distance see if you still got control. the dx 3.0s had the problem of limited range right out of the box i just turned it in and got a new one and never have issues with mine

There are 2 parts to the spektrum setup and honestly their quality control is not the best. My DX3.0 came with 2 dud receivers and so did my mates (so it very much looked like a transmitter problem but was not). My mates baja with his dx3r has range issues yet his other cars don't even with different receivers (problem has something to go with the other electronics). My baja seems to work well with my 3r but I haven't had a chance to test to extreme ranges. Also make sure to rebind the receiver after setting up the model. The failsafe points are set at binding and I have seen and made the mistake myself. The other thing to check is the receiver and transmitter pack voltage.

But the best thing to do is methodically test, isolate the problem and get it fixed. Send the radio back to horizon with a detailed concise description of the problem and what you did to test it. Chances are it is the radio but you have to be careful. I had an issue the other day with a mates JR radio. We swore it was the radio but after swapping it for an identical radio and receiver, we discovered the identical radio has the same issue. Turned out it was a combination of a broken join in the receiver pack and a weird issue with the receiver and having two of a specific servo and the receiver pack plugged into the receiver batt port. So if the battery was plugged into anything but the batt port everything worked fine. Or if I swapped one of the two identical servos the problem would disappear, talk about strange. With the combination of two issues I could not work out what was going on.

last june i lost singal on my dx3 with the baja and it went into a concrete pole 400 dollars worth of gamage.i sold the spektrum and got the futaba 3pm fasst.i have no problems at all.i must add that the spektrum was also on my revo and my first rc ofna on road car.well one day it went wild into curb as well.i got lucky only about 20 bucks damage.welll that is just what happened to me.some guys like bank(justin) has no problems at all

I been using my DX3S for around 6 months now and have had no problems with the range/signal loss...

It has been back to Horizon once for a new screen, the old screen had lots of black marks runing across it every time I turned it on...other than that I love the thing :eek:)

i had a dx2 did all the binding and lost two cars in one afternoon,now i use a jr xs pro 3 for the last 2-3 yrs never one issue.I really liked the spectrum but when it goes wrong it hauls gluts.

last june i lost singal on my dx3 with the baja and it went into a concrete pole 400 dollars worth of gamage.i sold the spektrum and got the futaba 3pm fasst.i have no problems at all.i must add that the spektrum was also on my revo and my first rc ofna on road car.well one day it went wild into curb as well.i got lucky only about 20 bucks damage.welll that is just what happened to me.some guys like bank(justin) has no problems at all

he forgets he told me his batt was dead too ...

yeah,,i said it might have been,,what about the revo and gtp both lost singal.i did not forget what i said,

Well, I have the DX3S and I can say that on my last run with my Savage I lost signal right in front of me (arround 20 feet). The short story... running at WOT, lost signal (couldn't brake) hit a 90 degree curve at WOT, Whammm... parts everywhere. Never happened before this time.

I checked the linkages, servos, receiver and nothing wrong. Then I started checking my programming on the radio and the scroller snapped to the inside (go figure!). Right now it's been in Horizon for more than a month.

Let's see how it behaves when it come back (hopefully anytime this year)

JR used to make some of the best stuff. I don't know where they went wrong with this. My 2.0 3.0 and DX3R are flawless. Only lost sig on my 3.0 once near the hi-way. I figured it was a ham raido operater. Sucks bud that's for sure. Fail safe ftw.. Looks like boycott the 3s.

Any other 3s owners have issues ? I know there a few on here. Chime in and give us ammo against horizon hobby.

Add me to the *against* DX3S group.

I've lost signal at 6ft before...but I read in the manual that *inside* of 5-6ft it may not bind. WTH?

Also, when I installed the DX3S Rx into my new Savage it's been real twitchy from day one. I sure as hell don't need this thing getting twitchy or losing signal with my brushless 8ight-T that can make some insane speeds.

Not inspiring confidence AT ALL with this system. I gave up a perfect (modded) DX3.0 for this Poop.

I don't need a $400 4pk...what are my options with the FASST system?

Add me to the *against* DX3S group.

I've lost signal at 6ft before...but I read in the manual that *inside* of 5-6ft it may not bind. WTH?

Also, when I installed the DX3S Rx into my new Savage it's been real twitchy from day one. I sure as hell don't need this thing getting twitchy or losing signal with my brushless 8ight-T that can make some insane speeds.

Not inspiring confidence AT ALL with this system. I gave up a perfect (modded) DX3.0 for this Poop.

I don't need a $400 4pk...what are my options with the FASST system?

get the 3pm fasst,its 179.99

Latest posts

Members online

Back