urgent help is needed!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4

I went to start my engine,as normal i primed it etc. started to pull the pullstart and it would not start. i took the glow plug out to check the battery they were fine. so i primed it a bit more and gave it another go.it still did not work.the top of the piston and glow plug were dry and fuel was squirting out all over the place. the engine mount is now soaked but the piston is still dry.
there is lots of fuel coming out of the exhaust and unbelievably the odd flame which is definitely not normal. what is wrong, why won't it start? is it telling me i need a new engine? any help would be gratfully received.
thanks
4x4

had the engine just been run before you tried to start it? or was it cold and unrun for a period?

flaming from the exhaust can happen, nothing too major from what ive heard.

best bet is to check if the engine is flooded. if not, make sure the piston isnt stuck at tdc, take off the air filter and re-prime, with the throttle open so you can see when the fuel reaches the carb. then pop the filter back on and try again.

Fuel squirting? Either bad fuel line, or maybe we have yet another cracked crankcase. Has the motor taken a hit on the cooling head recently?

thanks the engine had not been run for some time.
thanks for the help
4x4

Fuel squirting? Either bad fuel line, or maybe we have yet another cracked crankcase. Has the motor taken a hit on the cooling head recently?

not that i can remember i rapped it round a gate post but it has been going since then.
4x4

if it still wont start take the engine out and check it for initial signs of damage.

if nothing obvious comes up check it for air leaks.

it could just be something like a broken exhaust gasket

Youre going to have to pull the motor, that is a fact. I am betting it is likely something simple, as it usually works out that way, but your best bet is to pop off the backplate, and look on the inside for cracks. Look at it very closely. Then I would check that your needle valve seat is tightened down, as well as your carb. Check that the head bolts have not come loose, and look for any place there could be crankcase damage. Often times it can be where the mounting tabs are. Good luck Dude, these things can be a PITA to find sometimes.

i wouldnt take anything off the engine until youve checked done an air leak test, chances are youll create a leak when you put it back together and create more problems.

works from the outside of the motor in

keep us posted on what you find

sorry and carb ill check that

i tried to start it again but again it would not start and was kicking out just as much fuel as it was at the start. ive checked all the things you have said except inside the engine and cracks on the outside. (i will check those now)
do you have any other ideas of what to do?

thanks for all your help guys it is very much appreciated.
4x4

with the glow plug removed, is the piston moving when you turn it over? If the piston and cylinder is remaining dry, as you say, then it sounds, as mentioned earlier, like your piston may be stuck at TDC, in which case you may be looking at a broken crank, or con rod...

nope, if fuel is pumping out of the carb its not even getting to the carb.

sound like youve found the problem. could be a broken seal, o-ring or summit

he's mentioned fuel coming out the exhaust, carb, and flywheel...so it's entering the case, but I guess if the piston were stuck, there'd be no real pressure to pump the fuel...

I'm stumped...maybe something blocking the fuel pathways in the crankcase? although if it's coming out the exhaust, it should be passing thru the compression area, and getting the piston/plug wet...

it could be but there is still a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust and flywheel. the piston is moving up and down it is not stuck. my dad had a go with it and he could not find what was wrong with it eather. ive drained all the fuel out of the engine and tried again but it still did the same thing as i said in the first post. it seems like the fuels missing the piston and just going straight out the exhaust.(in liquid form)
are there any more ideas or have you exhausted all of them already.or does any one know what my options are eg. new engine,strip engine and carb?
thanks for all the help
4x4

have you got the fuel pipe and pressure feed the right way round.
if yes strip the engine completely and check the parts

i find it hard to believe the fuel is getting out the ex as it has to pass through the chamber.

yea u have a major airleake (if u didn't allready know that) keep us posted ... try to put some fule right on the piston c if it will fire at all!!!!!

yea u have a major airleake (if u didn't allready know that) keep us posted ... try to put some fule right on the piston c if it will fire at all!!!!!

ive tried that and it doesn't fire and yes the pressure feed is the right way round.
thanks for the help
4x4

Last edited by a moderator:
ive found the problem my engine has no pressure in it at all because if you put your fingers over the carb exhaust outlet and glow plug hole and pull the pull start you carnt feel any pressure. i still don't know why the fuels coming out of the exhaust. how would i fix the pressure problem.
thanks 4x4

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like u don't have any backpressure mmmmm not really sure check your pipe to c if its leaking or something

ive checked both of those still no pressure.
thanks for the help
4x4

i was thinking as well turn the engine over slow with a spanner on the owb, should be able to hear if it's getting compression above the piston and if not where it's leaking from....??

Latest posts

Members online

Back