Upgrade brakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIowner

No matter what i do it seems that i suffer alot form brake fade on my savage. I am using the stock .25 setup and while they will stop the truck it doesnt do it in a timely fashion. Would the HPI dual disk setup work well for me? I like to get it from my LHS and i know they carry the dual disc setup. What are your opinions? If not the HPI then what brand?

They will help. also you could upgrade the servo to if needed..some brand's of dual disk, the outher disk can rub the clutch bell if your running a low teeth number..

I put an airtronics (mid torque model)servo in there and it really didnt help much. I also have upgraded the linkage to the ofna mod one and it seemed to help but it still fades really bad.

I'm runniing a 15/49 combo so i should be ok

sav x stock combo rubs

sorry hop, but the stock set up on the x, the 49/15 rubs when u put the dual disk on. this is due to the lowered cg chassis set up. I cured this by double mounting the engine plate, shave the tabs of the front that go under the tranny, and it fits on top of the other plate, then mount the engine as normal. This lifts the cb about 2 mm from the cb, and due to height sends the motor about 1mm out nore. Added bonus of extra strength in engine plates too. also using a racing cb helps, as it isnt quite as proud at the front.

brake fade sux, its a savvage habit. i say its got nothing to do with the disk, and everything to do with the piston and the cam not being spring loaded to return to a zero point, and getting gummed up and staying open more and more and having to be adjusted until the actuating arm isnt vertical anymore, but almost laying flat before it engages the brake.

adam

I have a write up on how to cure some of brake fade due to it not returning rite. Its on another forum ill try and move it later works good on brake draggen probs

In the search link, try things like bakes, or brake faid andd see what pulls up. Link search in the top Nav bar.

Done that and it reveals little to no info. My brake arm is very slanted toward the front and has been getting worse. Just wondering what would help is all.

brake linkage. was asked about my set up.feel free to post here on any questions about mods or setups if you are useing T.T. TVPs.or others simmulare.
My lower brake linkage was made out of a clodzilla linkage. If your LHS sells air plane stuff they will have threaded rods. Take the stock rod, get an air plane linkage rod the same dia. or slightly bigger (but youll have to grind it a little to make it fit the hole). If you look you will notice that the upper brake rod is on top, not bottom like stock. the stock lower rod is to short. My lower rod is bent about a hale inch up fron bottom. the reason being the mounting hole sits at an angle. you want the lower rod to site strait up. (you get the best leverage like that). How to judge the bend. First find the mid point of the mounting hole in rod out of tranny(meening wich ever way you go is the same distance to aply brakes) when you find that make the bend so the rod sits strait up when it site in the mounting hole at mid point. make sure that the rod is long enuf that when you mount it, the upper rod sits level to the throttle rod. Adjusting, start with the trottle first then brakes. if you have the lower rod set like above and throttle set, the easyest way to set brakes is turn radio on, turn any brake adjustment to 0, hold the lower rod strait up, slide the back stop against linkage slider lock it. front stop push against spring slightly compressing it lock it. make any brake adjustments on radio, the reson for this.your brake will not bind as bad. my truck had a drag problem with brakes, this solved it. Its a good set up if you have everything rite. hope this helps you anymore questions just post. Sry I took these at nite there a little dark

brakes0018ok.jpg

slight bend and the throttle rod fits nicly past the roll bar
newpicsjune06082small1ri.jpg

notice how the brake lever is sitting almost strait up..not angled forward helps a good bit this way..
newpicsjune06072small1ax.jpg

hope this might help , it solved my brake hang up prob with dual disk and provides way better braking sence the lever is no longer angle way forward...

hi i am new to the forums and also to this hobby
this my first reply actually :)

mondragon i was wondering where did you get those throttle and brake linkages
i have an X and my cervo cannot move back to pull the break cause when the throttle is tottally of you cant pull it anymore...

to be able get some acceptalbe grip on the brakes i need to tighten them up so that they would break when i take my hand off the gas

thanks

those are ofna slide linkages they come in many colors to.think around 4 bucks. you can use the existing rods to do this mod. If you want to make your own rods, go to the air plane section of the hobbie shop and the sell rods. this is a way better set up than stock and really helps with the brakes and gas controle that is common in the savage. My set up, ofna slide linkage, air plane linkage rods, quik linkage conectors( also found in the air plane section ) ,and dynamite aluminum servo arm. you can use the stock servo arm and linkage. to use the stock servo arm take it apart and just use the bottom half that mounts to the servo. drill a hole by where the rod usally slides throw. then set up.. easy to do, worth the time, have any problems post... there are many good people here to help you.

thx a lot
i will try to set it up
but it looks like it is kinda hard to find OFNA products

i never had any luck wit the dule disk brake (it stripped out the tranny case were the screws bolt) its seemes like i was always taking the tranny out (we all know what a pain in the kester that is right) so i went back to the stock one works fine ...... but still have a problem when ever i crank it down it makes a clicking sound I shimmed my difs (heard that might be the problem) it kinda helped but when ever i break really hard it makes that clicking sound if anyone could help that would be awesome

hi
i have jujst got a new savage x found out tranny was faulty i have just got another but i notice the servo does not move back a long way because it is pushing on the throttle linkage but the throttle is shut so wont move anymore also the brake rod touches the roll over bar on the tvp anyone else come across this
:shtgn:
also i have had to adjust the brake linkage right up to get any brakes at all

when my diff was clicking found out the ring bear was bouncing off the pinion gear. i filled my diff with heave automotive diff oil and the diff case was filled with marine grease. haven't had a problem since.

Latest posts

Members online

Back