UNIT DOWN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepjunk94

Well the Savage Octane broke today on the start of my sixth tank of fuel. I had just started getting into the throttle a little bit getting it to shift into second gear when BRAP!! The exhaust got very loud, the header pipe broke at the flange that bolts to the engine. I call HPI and report the problem so they can send me a new header pipe and gasket but the customer service rep could not find the part listed on his computer. We both confirm the part # in the book but he could not pull it up. He said it could be a typo on the part #. The service tech's had all already left for the day so he told me to call back tomorrow when there there and talk to them. 3 day's old, not even 6 tanks of gas and over $900 bucks and it's broken. I am very upset, they can't even find the part I need. Did I mention that on the 9th of last month I bought a new Savage 4.6 and the trans or clutch or something went out on it in less than a month and I sent it back to HPI for repair. Not got it back yet. So far the HPI Savage line of trucks has not been so great for me.

I'm sorry that you've had such issues already. Just like any hobby, there are always going to be a few bad apples.

Please try not to be to down on HPI or savages in general. I can assure you that most people really enjoy their savages and have minimal issues ( other than the problems created by the driver).

Please let us know if we can be of any help to you on any of this.

Well seeing as it is a brand new powerplant and many things had to be redesigned I am sure there is gonna be issues at first.... Hang in there and see what HPI has to say, they have been good in the past when my kid destroyed a diff they sent 2 sets complete just so there would not be a repeat of problems....
Good Luck and Post up some pics of the damage so we all may see and learn with you......

photo67.jpg

Sorry it took a couple tries to get photo. The damage is not from an accident it's from just running in an open yard. The only thing that holds the exhaust is the flange to the head and a spring type mount to the frame, I think it's stress from vibration and will happen again.

It looks like a bit of the header/ flange is missing? Was it so brittle that bits were just falling off?

Looks kind of like the material is very thin there where the flange and header meet up.... hope HPI makes it right for you....

Thanks for the info I will check it out. That's the number HPI gave me today and said it was on back-order till October!

:whoo:OCTOBER Geez !!!!! seems kinda bad, their design and failure will take that long to get parts out to a paying customer...... the truck costs enough as it is I would think they would want customers to be happy with their new purchase.....
Please keep us informed on your progress with it......

Got one on the way from eBay, yeah there on back-order so what does that tell ya? There must be a problem with the design I say. It needs more support, the weight of the entire exhaust rests on that thin metal flange and a spring type support on the end of the pipe. So all the engine vibration is focused on that point, it will stress, work harden and crack. That's just how metal behaves, So I spent money with a free one on the way, well I want to run my truck so at least this way there will be a spare when the next one fails.

I would remove the spring mount on the pipe and mount it solid so it has less chance of cracking at the flange again, i am not sure why they would have put a spring mount on such a heavy item like the pipe... Good Luck with it and hope it was a fluke break at this time....

Got my new pipe today. Decided to try running the truck more than just 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. It just dies!! Shifts to 2nd gear and dies. I have spent the entire afternoon trying to tune this engine but no luck. I cleaned the plug and plan to buy a new one but still no change. Starts up easy, idles and runs at low speeds fine but hit the throttle and dead. I have read the book again and again, went to the website and there are updated carb settings. 1 turn out for high and 1 and 7/12ths for low. Hate to sound dumb here but just how much of a turn is 7/12ths? I set the low at 1 and 1/2 plus a little and it runs ok on the low side. No matter what I do with the high side it either won't rev up because it's rich or it dies when I turn it in. Cannot find the sweet spot. I also plan to try a different brand 2 cycle oil. Currently I am running Klotz Super but plan to try Blendzall. So far for the money I am not happy at all.

Well 6/12s is 1/2 so just a tad over 1/2 turn.

Are you positive your rich and not lean? You might try to richen it up instead of leaning it out. .. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info and reply. I kinda thought that but wasn't sure. So 12 could be like a clock and turn the needle to 7 o'clock. So my 1 and 1/2 plus a little had me close. OK get this folks, I just dumped the gas out of the truck and what was left in my gallon can into my weed whacker gas can. Took a bottle of Stihl chain saw oil 5.2 oz bottle that makes 2 gal of saw mix and used the whole bottle in 1 gal. Truck runs 10 times better, doesn't die at WOT now. It's not running perfect yet but much much better. I need to adjust the shift points to get it to hit 2nd sooner but at least it stay's running.

Latest posts

Members online

Back