Uh-oh, or oh no!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinhydes1

Ok, the Savage has been sizzling across the lawn and back for a couple weeks now. Ran out of fuel and the guys at the hobby store sold me 30% helicopter fuel. I added it to what was left in the tank <about 1/3> and fired it up. I warm it up for my son because I know what will happen if I set him free with the machine cold. It warmed up fine, I ran it WO for a couple seconds to make sure there was a good trail of smoke <there was> and let off the gas to give the control to Andy. It stalled, has restarted many many times for a couple seconds but no matter what I do it won't run once the motor is under load ie-it runs fine when the wheels are off the ground but dies no more than 10 feet away when I put it down. I am a marine mechanic by trade, and when a jet ski acts this way the motor is hurt. Could that little bit more nitro have wounded this thing? I took the glow plug out and looked in, piston isn't scarred on top at least.:eek:

Oh GOOD!

They told me it has MORE lube. I called and asked about it when they opened and they said they would tune it for me. I got there with it and they asked me to leave it overnight. What do you bet that I get it back tommorow along with being told I need to break it in again? And a gallon of the proper fuel?:D

maybe it`s got the wrong lube.
heli-and aircraft engines run at lower rpms, high rpm engines normally require thinner oil than low rpm engines.
I just checked the os max site and a .32 heli engine revs at 21.000 rpm and
the f4.1 engine revs almost twice as high.
my guess is that the oil is too thick and doesn`t lubricate properly at over 35.000 rpm.

smokinhydes1 said:
They told me it has MORE lube. I called and asked about it when they opened and they said they would tune it for me. I got there with it and they asked me to leave it overnight. What do you bet that I get it back tommorow along with being told I need to break it in again? And a gallon of the proper fuel?:D

So did they give you a new gallon or get it tuned for you?

i have used heli fuel in the past. i had no problems with my engine using it. i retuned on the rich side. my engines didnt seem to like it, i only ran maby 1/3 gallon of it before i exchanged it for my usual fuel . i think your right the oil might be higher but i don't think its designed for truck engines that rev high, i think its a thicker oil. I'm an outboard mechanic too. its kind of like running a 200 merc on premix with the oil injection working too.except using chain saw 2 stroke oil. i would almost bet your clutch is failing, every time iv had a truck do what you are talking about it has always been the clutch. i would get the proper fuel and run it on truck /car fuel only, and do a tear down on your clutch to make sure its ok.

I had a clutch problem once, one of the clutch shoes was broken where it is mounted on the pin on the flywheel.
the shoe kept rubbing the clutch bell no matter how low my engine idled and on a certain moment it would stall when I put the wheels on the ground.
I bought an aluminium clutch shoe set and put in another glowplug ( r4 instead of r5 ) and now it idles very slow without the wheels turning.
I put in another glow plug because with the R5 the engine stalled when it was idling for more than 20 seconds.
with the R4 it idles a lot slower and it doesn`t stall anymore.

Dig it, thanks Storm

I'm also a Mercury/Mariner & Mercruiser master tech, so thanks for putting it in terms that register. I noticed that when I got close it was either rich or lean, back and forth-that fuel SUCKS for a truck, never seen something so hard to dial in. I need a new laser temp gage, mine you can't see the display any more but I'm sure I got her pretty hot yesterday.

Post Script

Storm I didn't re-read my original post, didn't realize I already pointed out my background. I didn't intend to blow my own horn, this R/C stuff is very different from our world and I appreciate your info!

yep they can be a pain sometimes. I'm also a certified merc mechanic. i have my own business building powerheads.iv been in the business for 15 yars. usally i start with the stock settings and go from there. it takesalittle patience but you will get it. rember these are like outboards but tune alot diffrently.[same principles] but they react diffrently. good luck....

no prob i didnt take it that way. I'm just glad to see another marine mechanic in the same business as me on here. go to the chat boxand we can talk in instantly.

Latest posts

Members online

Back