tuning issues with savage 25 rtr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radkins

hello everyone, I bought my savage 25 rtr about a year ago. i broke the engine in according to the factory guidelines but not to soon after i started school again and had it sitting in my closet for the last 10 months. Well, i've taken it out the closet and i'm having a great deal of trouble tuning it. As far a i know, the factor settings for the HSN is 4.5 turns from closed and the LSN is 3 turns from closed. I've tried it on those setting but it runs like crap. I've tweeked the setting for the HSN to about 3 turns from closed and the LSN to about 2.5 turns from closed but when i'm not on the gas it keeps reving and making a popping noise. I've looked at the idle screw and tried to adjust it but i'm not sure the factory settings. Can some one tell me how i should start fresh with some type like a flow chart for tuning. Thanks Ryan.
also the heat is about 104 here and the humidity is 30-35 %. very hot and sticky. Oh yeah, i'm using brand new gas too.

what worked for me on setting the idle is look down the carb throat and adjust the idle screw so the slide in there is about 1mm open then use tiny adjustments to fine tune,good luck

Hi Radkins, try using a colder glow plug, richen the lsn up to about 4 turns out to start especially in the weather you are having being so hot and richen the hsn to about 5 turns out so it starts and ticks over. Then when it idles for about 30 secs without stalling adjust the hsn gradually first so that it just changes up into second gear but with still some smoke coming out of the exhaust, once you have it changing gear then alter the lsn if needed in 1/8th increments...that popping sound you had before sounded like it was a little lean and could be down to the hot weather too....always better to run it slightly richer anyway for engine longevity. Good luck.:)

bTW...keep an eye on the engine temp if you have a temp gun until you have it running well.

I don't know what the carb throat is and how do you messure 1mm. Do you have to have some sort of special tool. Thanks

i don't know if this site has it but the traxxas site has a very good how to section on carbs and tuning with pics you might want to look at it

I think i know why i was having so many problems tuning my engine after all.
The problems started when i noticed that i was having trouble getting my truck to shift gears, so i started adjusting the HSN and LSN and the idle. Well I also started adjusting the transmission hex screw turning it counter clockwise trying to get it to shift earlier. What I think might have happened is it was hitting 2nd gear so fast or never came out of second gear and I was trying to tune my truck to start out in second gear the whole time. I know this b/c the truck transmission hex screw that controls the shift speed fell out as i was turning it counter clockwise. Do you think my assumption is correct?

Latest posts

Members online

Back