Truckzilla questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up guys? New here to the forums but not new to the hobby. I've been in the hobby for about 15 years. An addiction i can't break. Anyway, I was given a savage about a couple of months ago and i'm just now starting to work on it. It has the truckzilla conversion on it. Well, unfortunately while i was disassembling it for cleaning, I noticed some jb weld on the block by the mount. After i removed the "patch job" from the motor, i noticed the mount was moving. Then one little tug and it came apart. It's a real shame because this thing has loads of compression still. Now I know that everyone hated the 46 that the kit came with, but i was sure hoping to keep it original. Anyway, my main question is: will any big block such as a novarossi .28 drop right in with the zilla kit? I'm pretty sure this is a helicopter motor and was unsure if the crank length and mounting position is the same as typical 1/8 motors. Thanks.

-Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well, the photo looks like a normal big block, but it could just be out of proportion. Could you take some measurements? On the engine mount itself, measure how far the holes are apart where the engine screws to it, front to rear and side to side. Also, measure from the rear mounting hole in the good flange on the engine to the front of the crank case and the rear mounting hole to the end of the crank.

I have a few big blocks laying around and with that info, could probably figure out if it's close to or the same as a typical .21-.32 big block.

Screw holes are either 17/18 mm center to center
Center front hole to front of case-4.5cm
Center of rear screw to end of crank-9cm
Overall length-10.5cm
Width left to right of mounting holes, roughly 4.5 cm center to center

I doubt brazing would be strong enough considering that is what holds the engine onto the mounting blocks, maybe if you knew someone who could tig weld it that may be a bit stronger and hold pretty well....

Screw holes are either 17/18 mm center to center
Center front hole to front of case-4.5cm
Center of rear screw to end of crank-9cm
Overall length-10.5cm
Width left to right of mounting holes, roughly 4.5 cm center to center
Well, I had an OS21RG in my savage way back in the day and it used the same engine mount as my current savage x which I've had an LRP28S3 and LRP30 currently in. Other than a few different shims for the crank, all 3 fit.

These are the dimensions of the OS21RG from the manual:
2018-1023-OS21RGDimensions.jpg

Hope that helps.

The standard Hpi big block engine mount is a direct fit onto the .46 truckzilla chassis
Just buy any Hpi nitro savage engine mount and bolt your replacement engine to it.

The standard Hpi big block engine mount is a direct fit onto the .46 truckzilla chassis
Just buy any Hpi nitro savage engine mount and bolt your replacement engine to it.

Awesome, thanks. I think that's what I'll do then. Probably just stick a dynamite 28 in it. people seem to like the f4.6 and i read somewhere that a guy disassembled both motors and said they were identical other than the color of the head. The hpi head even bolted right up to it. So, if the info isnt already out there on here. May be some good info for someone looking into motors. And for 110 bucks. i think i'm sold. Anyway, thanks again for the info guys. can't wait to get this thing running.

I take that back. just noticed the nova is available with a pull or roto start. Definitely Going to be getting a novarossi.

Latest posts

Members online

Back