Truck upgrade as ESC died, Advice wanted. (used Savage Flux XL)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyWalker

Hey guys, as you've already read my ESC has died causing me to do some upgrades I've wanting to do for a while. I think the Tork motor is okay so I've been looking at the Hobbywing MAX6 but here's where the upgrades come in, I'm going to be getting the:
  • ALZA kit
  • 5mm XL TVP's
  • Center Differential Kit
  • Skidplate XL
  • Servo Plate
  • XL ESC Plate
This makes me wonder if I will need more power to shift the extra weight around and get a 1600 - 2000kv motor as well.

Does anyone have any educated suggestions? I'm really scratching my head on this and have even contemplated the new MMX sensored combo but that only goes down to 2200kv and its only going to be used for bashing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

My truck is appx 15lbs and I am running the 5mm extended tvp's with the Alza center diff and the 2200 tork motor. I am running the Hobbywing max8 esc with 2, 5300 30c 3s and have NO problems

2200kv is very in efficient on 6s.. 1600kv would be lots better.

I ran a 1580 KV in my ALZA flux, it's not really much heavier than a stock flux. Decide on 4s or 6s running combo, and gear motor with a temp gun,,, not with internet information.

Thanks for the info Timritchieblue, I've ended up ordering the max 8 combo with the 2200kv motor as it was only a little bit more than the Max6 ESC on its own. At first I will be running on 4s and I think an 11T pinion should keep it close to the original mesh and I don't have a temp gun I might get a motor fan just in case it gets too hot by touch. I'll post pics when it all arrives

I've just finished the build (so far) and aside from not using the programming card to fine tune the ESC I think I've gotten over all the little trials and problems that came along the way. I programmed the throttle and the MAX8 ESC registers that it's running on 4s so I think I'm okay but I'll keep an eye on the motor temps on the first few runs and may fit a fan in case.

I bought this truck used a couple of months ago and while I was swapping the front diff oil over to 50k I noticed that the front RPM arms are heavily rashed up and one has cracked plus a small section of the bottom bulkhead has broken off but isn't an immediate worry, definitely next in line to get swapped out though.

I put 50k F - 500k M - 30k R diff oil in as my researching has lead me to believe this is a safe starting point.

I'll post up some pics when I can.

Would like to see some video of it running on 4S. If I convert my X to brushless, I'll more than likely run dual 2S packs that I use with my brushless revo.

Okay Olds, I'll take a video for you when I take it out.

Here are some build pics, would have taken more but got stuck into it and forgot haha :)

1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Yea, I agree with NightFlier. It's hard to get the power down as it is on 4s and much safer for the trucks components. I took the truck out for a little run last night and the CD has made a huge difference to the way it puts its power down. I'll get a video up if I can get someone to film

I know the stampede 4x4 is a much smaller rig, but I tried a CD in it and didn't care for it. Ran one pack through it before going back to a slipper setup. Guessing the diffing out and durability of it changes a bit when your running 1/8th scale and 4S. :)

I run on 4s too, I agree 6s is just way too much, things are going to break a lot easier lol

I am running the castle MM2 with the 2200kv motor. I have a video of it in the snow but it's not letting me upload from my phone.

I agree on 4s being the drivable and sustainable voltage to run. I just got a max8 combo for my flux HP, should be enough for me. I had a surpass 4068 in it previously and it was good for my kids but was not quite enough.

The center diff helps make it easier to drive, even the short Flux HP. I run 6S in mine now. I still have the X, listed for sale as I don't really drive it anymore.

I had to gear it down quite a bit to run the mmx/2200kv system on 6S though. It would run, but it was stupid fast and the esc would overheat pretty quick. I like to find a setup/gearing that lets me run however I want/where I want without overheating throughout at least a set of packs.

Latest posts

Members online

Back