trouble with starting....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewis18

Hi guys and girls,

New to the XL got it second hand.

I stripped it down as it had been sat for a while thick gunk in fuel tube, so with the manual all looked good and all their. O rings look good etc piston was still getting stuck at top so not at all worn in which was q bonus.
I have now rebuilt it and put it back to new settings fuel and air mix etc. The problem I'm having is it starts and runs but when I take the glow plug away it stalls.

Please advise!!
Cheers
Lewis

while you had that engine apart you should have sealed it. Your tuning will be much easier if you do. Check out the thread below for some good instructions.
http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?file=viewtopic&name=forums&t=54465

As others have mentioned, if it does not stay running you are likely in need of further tuning. Set everything to stock and start over. Then move the HSN in 1/8 turn increments to lean it up until it stays running. You may also have to play with the idle adjustment a little. When you look down the carb with the air filter assembly off you should see about 1-1.5mm gap in there.

Also, in case you are having issues knowing what needles are what on the carb, here is a picture. It should be similar to what you have.

latest

Latest posts

Members online

Back