Trouble starting new novarossi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willvilla65

Hello I'm having a great deal of trouble getting my new Novarossi rex legend 28-8 to start. my new novarossi won't start. I made sure I had a idle gap all needles are at factory flush settings and I have new fuel 25% and checked glow plug and ignighter all seem to be fine. I just don't get it. I want to know will it just be smarter of me to just put the old hpi carb on the novarossi because the hpi has metal parts and came with the truck or keep fighting with this novarossi. Did I miss something on setup. please any info would help.

is it popping like it wants to start?? are you using a rotostart or pull start? you say the needles are flush? is that what the instructions say to have them set to? many factors can prevent it starting and you will have to go thru them one at a time to eliminate them from the problem list....

I have a roto start. One thing is that the instructions for the engine have the factory settings for three versions of the carb with no way to tell which one I have and different factor settings for all three for Low needle. Do you think there's any chance that the house one will work better? Since I have to flip the carb the idle needle is in a very hard to reach place.

Not sure I've ever broken an engine in at "flush" settings. Usually they need some level of leaning out to start and run consistently. This is going to be a feel kind of thing for each engine. You want to lean it out just enough to get it to start and run well. Usually like 1/2 turn leaned on the on the HSN and a small amount on the LSN.

It can be tricky to get a big block nitro to fire for the first time, useing a hair dryer or heat gun on the head and block makes is way easier and less stress on the starting mech and one way too.

Pre heat to about 185 f then let it sit for a bit, then pre heat again to 150-175 and it should start right up.

I pre heat even a broken in nitro if its cold out, saves allot of wear and tear

From this: http://www.novarossi.it/2012/images/files/manuali/Carburatore_21-25-28.pdf

It appears the HSN is the same for either at 3.5 turns from fully closed, stop as soon as you feel resistance or you risk damaging the needle or seat.

MSN at 1.5 turns from closed would apply if your engine has HSN, LSN, MSN and idle screw.

LSN varies for 3 carbs from 5, 6 or 6.5 from fully closed.
carbs
24066 - 6.5 turns, doesn't have a HSN only a LSN, MSN and idle screw, so if yours has a HSN, LSN, MSN and idle screw, yours is not this.
24067 - 6 turns, has HSN, LSN, MSN and idle screw.
? - 5 turns, has HSN, LSN, MSN and idle screw.

The ? is for the one in the long description, but they didn't list a part # for it. So, if you have a HSN, LSN, MSN and idle, yours would be either 5 or 6, so 5.5 should be good enough to get you in the ballpark.

Never messed with Nova motor. But, would like to get a modded one in the future. Anyways, back on topic, alot of members have givan alot of useful tips and suggestions. The only suggestion I see that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure you prime the engine before tryin to start it. Too much and it will flood causin it to be hard to start. Not enough and it will be hard to start.

Did it ever fire? Just got my 28-8 and factory carb settings were junk. Pulled on it for too long and trashed my pullstart.?

preheating engine to about 200 makes it way easier to get started, using a heat gun and temp gun. i just received a navarossi .28 7, and after christmas will be breaking it in,

? Double check your carbs...mine took over 2 turns lean on both HSN & LSN to get it to fire. Not sure why it came set soooooo rich, but it is what it is.

I have a 28 8 and love it. It is a must to preheat the Italian engines. And I totally agree with northernighmare. I preheat all my engine. When you do that even broken in it reduces wear on the sleeve and they normal idle right away. A little doggy while burning the afterrun oil out. I have a Picco with 2 gallons run through it and is still snug. I am liking the Nova and have about 1/2 a gallon through it and it is still tight. I also lean new motor from factory settings as I am at 5380 feet above sea level.

Latest posts

Members online

Back