Trimming a body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Just wondering what everyone uses to cut the body out .... I use a pair of these . and a dremal to smooth the edges out
snips.gif

are you useing these to trim the body on your honda or savage? I use a pair of scissors, Adremel and some curved scissors for lexan bodies. Also have a couple reamers for makin holes.. Those tin snips be like bringing a Bazooka to a water ballon fight.LOL

Thats pretty funny SAMI..lol.

But have you ever tried them?...

I haven't yet, but you never know... They might work killer.

One think I can say... If you bring a Bazooka to a baloon fight,.. The Bazooka WINS!.lol.

HEY!...It could happen.lol

I'll have to give that a try SJ. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I tried scissors .. maybe they were cheap. but it was a pain to cut w/

Thats pretty funny SAMI..lol.

But have you ever tried them?...

I haven't yet, but you never know... They might work killer.

Just a thought

Oh I'm sure they work great as thier designed to cut sheetmetal. Only givin SJ a hard time. Is that not allowed here? yes Sj most scissors bust your knuckles triing to cut them out. a good quality pair is worth its weight in gold.

yea I didn't want to spend 30 bucks on a nice pair of them tho. 30 bucks or more...

these were only 3 bucks at ace ... and I don't paint as many bodies as you. Yea I can take a ribbing .. go ahead and give it to me .. (that didn't soound good) ... lol

Oh I'm sure they work great as thier designed to cut sheetmetal. Only givin SJ a hard time. Is that not allowed here? yes Sj most scissors bust your knuckles triing to cut them out. a good quality pair is worth its weight in gold.
Hey... No worries Sami.lol
I'm just ribbin back, ok? Now gimmie Fifty, Soldier!..lol

Well you is always pickin on me and being so mean makes a guy feel like like Oh I give up leave me alone or I'm gonna tell your mommy on you. Nobody likes a bully yaknow.

Well you is always pickin on me and being so mean makes a guy feel like like Oh I give up leave me alone or I'm gonna tell your mommy on you. Nobody likes a bully yaknow.

Just like a bugger .. allways picked on LOL !!!:hardlaugh:

Yea... I use the same, FX
The straight and curved set. I also like to use valve oil thats used in lubricating the valves on brass instruments.
This stuff works killer for getting off the adhiesive build up from decal cutting.

Dubro scissors, dremel, body reamer curved razor. I cut everything out before painting, from the body post to any window that will be cut out. That way if I scratch up the body while trimming the paint will hide the scratch, unless it is the chrome paint. Then you have to be extremely careful!

I bought the Dubro curved Lexan scissors/reamer set, but it doesn't seem to me like it works very well. When I went to cut out the additional pieces on the body to make room for the engine guard, it left some pretty bad edges. Also, the reamer doesn't seem to work well at all. It won't even put a clean hole in the plastic box it came in. Maybe it'd actually work better on a stiffer material like Lexan?

Anyways, do I just need to suck it up and buy a Dremel if I want smooth edges? I'm probably going to buy one anyways, and I don't think I'll even be doing a new body for a few months, just curious. Thanks!

I bought the Dubro curved Lexan scissors/reamer set, but it doesn't seem to me like it works very well. When I went to cut out the additional pieces on the body to make room for the engine guard, it left some pretty bad edges. Also, the reamer doesn't seem to work well at all. It won't even put a clean hole in the plastic box it came in. Maybe it'd actually work better on a stiffer material like Lexan?

Anyways, do I just need to suck it up and buy a Dremel if I want smooth edges? I'm probably going to buy one anyways, and I don't think I'll even be doing a new body for a few months, just curious. Thanks!
I have exactly what you have Jeff. The reamer actually stripped out of the handle. As far as the scissors go I like them.

I have the same set, I also bought Associated's brand, I have only cut one body so far the dubro's sissors were tough for me to use (I have severe arthritis in my hands so I bought the Associated brand to try, luckly they seem to work quite a bit better. the reamer worked fine for me.

I still have a hard time with the sissors because of my hands, what I ended up doing on the body I am working on now I use a dremmel with the disk cutter on it, running at high rpm"s to cut as close to the mark as possiable, then I use a cylinder attachment with the sand paper around it to of the extra plastic and smooth it down. that seems to be the best for me. I only use the sissors for tight spots where the dremmel cant get. You have to use a pretty high speed setting and take your time with it and It works fine.

Oh, hat reminds me, I saw these "sissors" (???) at least they say they are sissors, look more like wire cutters to me (the same brand does make wire cutters too, that ook a lot like these) I am wondering if anyone has tried these, they look like they are made for cutting pretty tough stuff

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKZ29&P=ML

Wister - Check this out (directly from Xuron site) " The answer to modelers' and crafters' needs for an ultra precise scissor. Cuts fine or delicate items, including materials such as silk embroidery floss or thin mylars and delicate photoetched parts with a clean, square edge exactly where the scissor is positioned. Ideal for cutting wood reed used in caning and basketry. Cushion grip, Xuro-Rubber™ handles and our Light Touch™ return spring replace conventional finger loops, for increased comfort and precision. This innovative design is especially advantageous for users with arthritic hands. Rated for cutting soft metals up to 0.005"."

Sounds to me like they might be great for some things but that cutting that tough 0.060" Lexan might be too much for them.

you guys are funny. i was going to buy a new body and was wondering what to cut it with well sj you answered my question already. that looks like the tool to use. thanks bud.

I got the Dubro combo and the dang reamer stripped on me too. The scissors are alright. I actualy started off with the Dremel all the way, that body looked like hell! I have since then gotten better and didn't buy the combo till I got my Savy. Yeah Yeah, a Dremel is a good investment to make for numerous reasons in my book, beautiful edges on the body is just the begining!

Latest posts

Members online

Back