Traxxas TRX-4 Crawler Project - silver Defender

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SantaClaw

Righto.. So I am bored atm, decided to go splurge on a new RC... figured between the savage XS flux I have and my tiny 1/28 scale WLToys K989 project, I need 1 more to throw money at... so I ended up with an RTR version of the Traxxas TRX-4 LandRover Defender - In gray/silver.

So. It's on it's way in the mail.. lol... I ordered a battery+ charger at the same time, though I could use the packs for the savage, I figured I'd keep it all traxxas for this thing.

I've found a ton of upgrades already, I've got the following parts on order:

Motor: Hobbywing Quicrun Fusion Crawler 1800kv Motor With Built In ESC on order, for some extra umph and well, fun... lol I don't want a brushed motor in a crawler, this newone has some epic features, it will keep the speed you choose, and increase power to keep it, it also holds the truck so it won't roll backwards, you can set all this.

Servo: eTronix ET2072 Digital Metal Geared Waterproof Servo - 30.3Kg - 0.09S - I think that will work good, as I understand the stock one is somewhat weak.

A snow plow :D

A front bumper mount/servo mount out of brass, I figured getting it beefed up with the plow and all would be a good idea. More brass parts for increased low down weight to come later.

Metal front/rear bumpers, front bumper with winch mount. I mean, I got's to have that

Traxxas LED power supply, for various LED lights

Metal roof rack, with 6 hella round spotlights

Winch, with remote and controller

Net for the roofrack

Spare tire cover

headlight/taillight kit from Traxxas

metal roof ladder

Stainless screw set for the truck, complete.

Stainless steering bar kit.

I've got a bunch of parts I've saved for later though, I think I've got a good start. I already have several sets of tires/rims I can test out.. I'm exited for it anyway, can't wait to get going. Pictures to follow :D

Edit, I decided to wait with the stricken out parts :)

Edit2 - Ordered more parts :D

Plugs for the Traxxas system

52e1d46b717814d937379db3a0d4ae5c.jpg

Hitch & Ball

af2310d5211ffeeab4727975d1885a44.jpg

Set of three micro servo savers for the difflockers and the hi/low range

dff1070f2f042ca9264758ed84a575e8.jpg

High Voltage BEC for the new steering servo, I wanted the kit, to keep it clean.

f8617642460aecbe2572574a11c412a3.jpg

New alloy servo arm for the new metal servo

9eab56939e9594a67da1487231429bdf.jpg

Now, I do realize that the new motor has a built in high voltage ESC, 6v or 7.4V , but the new steering servo wants 7.4v and the difflock servos and the high/low one is being stretched at 6v, so the trazxxas BEC will come in handy, also looks alot neater with it all in the same box.

I also know the lighting system won't be plug and play anymore, I'll have to solder onto the main connector to the battery, to supply power to the new BEC and the lights, winches etc that may come later.. Therefore I also ordered a few new battery connectors.

Last edited:
I'm discharging the LiPo of my defender... Interesting how the ESC and Motor are the only parts that really heats up.. The motor is about 30c and the ESC is 34c... It's running with cc set to the lowest it will go...

Attachments

• 20210228-135236.jpg
    20210228-135236.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210228-135247.jpg
    20210228-135247.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210228-135254.jpg
    20210228-135254.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
Righto, I decided I need lights on the back as well, so...

Square Lights

642887c6e6efe0e57e9275d36183fc02.jpg

I ordered the square lights, I'll put one at the rear top corners.

I also orderd the Traxxass light kit for the thing, aka proper working head/tail lights.

ea2a7f53ba31a66ff3f12f4e8dd82dc5.png

Found them on a local store MUCH cheaper than ebay...

Traxxas LED kit

IMG_20210310_161908.jpgIMG_20210310_161835.jpg

Right, some of the parts are in, what I got was the lights, just missing the two rear top ones, they should be along any day now. The metal baggage rack was a pain to fit, as I suspect it's not intended for this body, but I got it on there. I got the brass front servo mount, and the two metal bumpers, now missing the winch... I also got the metal servo arm, and the high power BEC kit, It's been fitted, but I'm missing the new servo, so I'll wait until it arrives before sealing it properly.

Rear bumper mounts, I had to grind a bit to get them to fit in the bumper, I sent a pic to the seller, so I'll wait to see what comes of it... So far, I'm happy with how it looks, it'll look much better when the real/new winch gets put on there, for sure.

Injora, the seller of the bumper kits, have sent me a new replacement rear bumper for free, aka Customer Service, they also said they'd test to make sure the parts fit together before shipping.

IMG_20210506_191248.jpg

Well, It's mostly complete now, lights all around, and a few upgrades in place. Just waiting for some aluminum axles with a set of sealed bearings, I plan on sealing the axles with silicone..

I'm also waiting for some some parts for the winch, and a set of rear lights for the metal roofrack.

I have a ball hitch, and I am Planning to get a dual axle trailer to haul my savage XS around :D

The Hobbywing Brushless motor is amazing for this thing.. wheelies in high, and crawls as slow as you like in low speed.

The new steering servo is super fast, and strong as heck, so that was a very good match.

Overall, I'm super happy with it.

Various small parts on the way, as always :D

Righto.. So I am bored atm, decided to go splurge on a new RC... figured between the savage XS flux I have and my tiny 1/28 scale WLToys K989 project, I need 1 more to throw money at... so I ended up with an RTR version of the Traxxas TRX-4 LandRover Defender - In gray/silver.

So. It's on it's way in the mail.. lol... I ordered a battery+ charger at the same time, though I could use the packs for the savage, I figured I'd keep it all traxxas for this thing.

I've found a ton of upgrades already, I've got the following parts on order:

Motor: Hobbywing Quicrun Fusion Crawler 1800kv Motor With Built In ESC on order, for some extra umph and well, fun... lol I don't want a brushed motor in a crawler, this newone has some epic features, it will keep the speed you choose, and increase power to keep it, it also holds the truck so it won't roll backwards, you can set all this.

Servo: eTronix ET2072 Digital Metal Geared Waterproof Servo - 30.3Kg - 0.09S - I think that will work good, as I understand the stock one is somewhat weak.

A snow plow :D

A front bumper mount/servo mount out of brass, I figured getting it beefed up with the plow and all would be a good idea. More brass parts for increased low down weight to come later.

Metal front/rear bumpers, front bumper with winch mount. I mean, I got's to have that

Traxxas LED power supply, for various LED lights

Metal roof rack, with 6 hella round spotlights

Winch, with remote and controller

Net for the roofrack

Spare tire cover

headlight/taillight kit from Traxxas

metal roof ladder

Stainless screw set for the truck, complete.

Stainless steering bar kit.

I've got a bunch of parts I've saved for later though, I think I've got a good start. I already have several sets of tires/rims I can test out.. I'm exited for it anyway, can't wait to get going. Pictures to follow :D

Edit, I decided to wait with the stricken out parts :)

Edit2 - Ordered more parts :D

Plugs for the Traxxas system

52e1d46b717814d937379db3a0d4ae5c.jpg

Hitch & Ball

af2310d5211ffeeab4727975d1885a44.jpg

Set of three micro servo savers for the difflockers and the hi/low range

dff1070f2f042ca9264758ed84a575e8.jpg

High Voltage BEC for the new steering servo, I wanted the kit, to keep it clean.

f8617642460aecbe2572574a11c412a3.jpg

New alloy servo arm for the new metal servo

9eab56939e9594a67da1487231429bdf.jpg

Now, I do realize that the new motor has a built in high voltage ESC, 6v or 7.4V , but the new steering servo wants 7.4v and the difflock servos and the high/low one is being stretched at 6v, so the trazxxas BEC will come in handy, also looks alot neater with it all in the same box. If you want to draw pictures with Ai, the AI Mirror APK Premium Unlocked application on the getmodnow website is safe and completely free.

I also know the lighting system won't be plug and play anymore, I'll have to solder onto the main connector to the battery, to supply power to the new BEC and the lights, winches etc that may come later.. Therefore I also ordered a few new battery connectors.
After reading your post, I feel like you are really planning ahead and have saved the extra parts for future upgrades. It's always fun to explore different tire and rim combinations to find the best setup for your needs.

Latest posts

Members online

Back