Transmission help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learningnitro

Hello in process of breaking down my second savage xl to rebuild. Already stuck it seems. Tryin to remove transmission as I am under the understanding that's the way to access brake piston as my first savage seems to have lost it. Ordered replacement and have removed top bar(handle) as well as break linkage. I did go ahead and pull both skid plate bumper combos off front and back and now can't figure out hot to get either dog bone out. I think that is what they are called. The little bar that goes from tranny to fron and real diffs. Any help?

Also took out all the crews into TVPs have the tranny loose just hooked into those still and don't want to bend anything

you will need to remove one side TVP, those transmissions key into the plates, save the headache and do it right.:eek:

:eek::woot::):)
Will the drive shafts not be an issue to unhook if remove TVP? Can I just change the brake piston with it in if I remove it without issue? Pretty sure I'll still have to take it out correct? I'm trying I'm sorry I'm new at all of this and don't want to mess it up or brake anything trying. Thank you either way for the advice again about removing TVP tho

in all honesty it is easier to take the transmission out to install the new brake parts, no the center bones will be easy to remove and install.... might be a bit fiddly but usually an easy repair...

in all honesty it is easier to take the transmission out to install the new brake parts, no the center bones will be easy to remove and install.... might be a bit fiddly but usually an easy repair...
Ok thank you going to remove TVP and then transmission I have it loose and think just not enough room to wiggle out bones from it with TVP on I just wanted to make sure wasn't certain trick to getting them out besides room to do so. Thank you and truly appreciate it!!

Don’t forget the two screws on underneath of g/box that screw into engine mount!
Once L/H TVP is completely removed with abit of fiddling about & even slightly bending other TVP g/box can be prised out & d/bones will follow, but remove L/H TVP as it’s the right side of s/gear for easier removal! 👍🏻

Got it out went thru it and got it all cleaned up and back together!! Noticed I was missing a few screws on opposite side TVP so once I got going on it took the whole truck apart and so far so good. Wish I would have gotten metal first gears prior to tearing into it but can always swap those later. Appreciate the advice and help along the way!

Sorry I also started a build thread and have most of my pics on there along the way. Didn't take any on inside gearbox but it was pretty much brand new as truck was never broken in.

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_213352.jpg
    IMG_20220718_213352.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 8
Yes she is and both are in about the same condition they were purchased in 2009-10 and they are for sure the older motors but they also seem to have some of the upgrades that were mentioned on first upgrades to do to a savage like fail safes and hump pack batteries not sure if those are on all of em and need to be switched out or it's already what was meant in such threads. They have sat in a few garages and gathered just that, muck. Been alot of fun finally having time and focus to put into them and respect them right haha. Kids are teenagers now and don't have much interest in joining dad with it but that's ok. Look forward to getting them clean and I doubt they will look like anything like you've got but who knows I sure got the patience and focus to get there when I put it in. Wife let me set up a good little working area in the living room with ac rather then garage so that's been a whole new world. Thanks for your help along the way and the encouragement to just get after it. I do feel like I won't get lost or ruin anything with y'all helping and here to ask my dumb questions and understand a lot more.

Mate I know you will get there with them, you sound like you have to drive to do it, Sounds like your lady is a good woman letting you have them in doors to work on. and AC as well wot a luxury that is. LOL. Me I have the luxury of being single so It's just me and my models. Savages everywhere, think if I had a wife still she would have divorced me by now. If I was made to choose, think she would have lost. LOL. Me bad or what.!!👍

Oh yes for sure I'm one of the lucky ones. Your rigs are so clean tho!😁 So I got the gearbox out and cleaned up looking almost brand new also took electronic box apart and cleaned inside and out and all components put some fresh thread lock where it was needed and got it all back together with the RTR stuff for now and going to charge it after work to test it out. The motor is staring me down and not excited about that part but was considering sand blasting the cooling head at least. Think that's a bad idea? I know it'll take the original markings off but it'll clean it up better then any other way I can think of especially deep inside fins. Going good tho and should have parts for breaks on my other one tomorrow finally. Although noticed I was missing one of the step screws so ordered two just incase I can't find it anywhere. It may have been gone since brakes went out on me. Oh well easy fix.

Would not recommend using a s/blaster on engine, I use my air compressor after I have been out with mine which gets all the crud out & just wipe down with WD40 & rag, works for me & helps bring the plastic back to new! 👍🏻

Oh yes for sure I'm one of the lucky ones. Your rigs are so clean tho!😁 So I got the gearbox out and cleaned up looking almost brand new also took electronic box apart and cleaned inside and out and all components put some fresh thread lock where it was needed and got it all back together with the RTR stuff for now and going to charge it after work to test it out. The motor is staring me down and not excited about that part but was considering sand blasting the cooling head at least. Think that's a bad idea? I know it'll take the original markings off but it'll clean it up better then any other way I can think of especially deep inside fins. Going good tho and should have parts for breaks on my other one tomorrow finally. Although noticed I was missing one of the step screws so ordered two just incase I can't find it anywhere. It may have been gone since brakes went out on me. Oh well easy fix.

Don't sandblast the head, if you want to remove burned on crud try denatured alcohol and a stiff small paintbrush with half the bristles cut off, it will get between the fins and make cleaning easier, I do this with my nitro stuff and it works well, I have an assortment of brushes I use for cleaning

Would not recommend using a s/blaster on engine, I use my air compressor after I have been out with mine which gets all the crud out & just wipe down with WD40 & rag, works for me & helps bring the plastic back to new! 👍🏻
Thank you sir! Will not sandblast. Got denatured alcohol for it to sit it then it'll be scrubbing with the good ol toothbrush. I can do that and so far it's working really well to get most of the crud off.

Latest posts

Members online

Back