Total newb, hpi engine 3.5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiddy

I am a newb, I've ordered a new 3.5 hpi engine along with 3 pin flywheel and clutch kit and bell, how do I install these please?
Also I've noticed carb is set half open on low speed needle (I think) do I need to adjust it or leave all needles alone? And adjust my arm on servo?

the hsn and lsn should be flush. the idle gap which is the opening when the carb is fully closed should be 0.5 - 1mm wide.
flywheel + shoe assembly

Attachments

• rc-carb-basics.jpg
    rc-carb-basics.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm now breaking my first ever engine in, I've started it but wheels spin at high speed, what do I do,? Please help

When I remove glow starter it stalls, and now won't start at all it is nor flooded

I'm feeling really annoyed I thought new engine would work but I've spent 3 hours trying to get it running to break in engine but the wheels were going full tilt so stopped it, tried adjusting idle but made no difference at all, I can do with some serious helpless asap

I'm feeling really annoyed I thought new engine would work but I've spent 3 hours trying to get it running to break in engine but the wheels were going full tilt so stopped it, tried adjusting idle but made no difference at all, I can do with some serious helpless asap
If its stalling when igniter is removed that indicates the needles are too rich, thus the fuel is outing the plug. lean out the needles 1/8 of a turn at a time until it starts. increase the idle gap slightly and lean out the lsn till it starts. do 1/16 of a turn at a time clockwise.

It's a brand new engine I'm breaking it in, can I adjust the needles on break in?

I'm now breaking my first ever engine in, I've started it but wheels spin at high speed, what do I do,? Please help
rule of thumb with new motor is to preheat it during break-in. use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat it to 180 - 220 Fahrenheit. if the wheels are spinning it means ur idle gap is too wide. reduce it and the rpms should drop

I tried changing idle but it won't turn any more clockwise and it made no difference

It's a brand new engine I'm breaking it in, can I adjust the needles on break in?
if its stalling when the igniter is removed it most likely means the needles are too rich. factory setting are a baseline however flushing needles is vague, therefore it could be 3/8 of a turn richer than actual flush

I tried changing idle but it won't turn any more clockwise and it made no difference
then it could be ur throttle linkage. it would be helpful if u could take pictures or videos so its easier to diagnose

This is turned off and throttle moves to this position

Attachments

• 20210612_210821.jpg
    20210612_210821.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210612_210807.jpg
    20210612_210807.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 6
This is turned off and throttle moves to this position
u need to readjust the linkage. the carb should be completely closed when neutral and the gap should be the size of the idle gap set via the idle screw

It's a hailboxing Tigershark apparently
Can someone explain in lamend terms for me to understand

Tiddy, your just running around in circles and getting nowhere. Your engine break-in settings should have been pre-set and left alone, and you had linkage issues and you messed with the screws and the settings now are all out of sync. You need to stop and get back on track. First step is get your throttle and brake linkage properly adjusted. Watch this vid :

Savage XL - Stock throttle linkage setup for max throttle range - YouTube

Next step is to put the carb settings back to factory :

HSN = 4.5 turns out from seated

LSN = 3 turns out from seated

Idle gap = .040"

Heres a short video

Why does my video not upload
Tiddy, your just running around in circles and getting nowhere. Your engine break-in settings should have been pre-set and left alone, and you had linkage issues and you messed with the screws and the settings now are all out of sync. You need to stop and get back on track. First step is get your throttle and brake linkage properly adjusted. Watch this vid :

Savage XL - Stock throttle linkage setup for max throttle range - YouTube

Next step is to put the carb settings back to factory :

HSN = 4.5 turns out from seated

LSN = 3 turns out from seated

Idle gap = .040"
I'm now trying this, I know I sound stupid but only learn via asking my new engine turned up with carb half open, question is do I push it shut and attach the throttle arm, I'm confused. My video won't upload

Could I cut this bar out 15mm as I can't get screw into engine mount, would it mess up structural strength

Attachments

• 20210614_110953.jpg
    20210614_110953.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 6
Why does my video not upload

I'm now trying this, I know I sound stupid but only learn via asking my new engine turned up with carb half open, question is do I push it shut and attach the throttle arm, I'm confused. My video won't upload
yes u should push the carb shut then attach the linkage

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back