Total newb, hpi engine 3.5

Tiddy

I am a newb, I've ordered a new 3.5 hpi engine along with 3 pin flywheel and clutch kit and bell, how do I install these please?
Also I've noticed carb is set half open on low speed needle (I think) do I need to adjust it or leave all needles alone? And adjust my arm on servo?

ManMgn

the hsn and lsn should be flush. the idle gap which is the opening when the carb is fully closed should be 0.5 - 1mm wide.
flywheel + shoe assembly

Attachments

• rc-carb-basics.jpg
    rc-carb-basics.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tiddy

I'm now breaking my first ever engine in, I've started it but wheels spin at high speed, what do I do,? Please help

Tiddy

When I remove glow starter it stalls, and now won't start at all it is nor flooded

Tiddy

I'm feeling really annoyed I thought new engine would work but I've spent 3 hours trying to get it running to break in engine but the wheels were going full tilt so stopped it, tried adjusting idle but made no difference at all, I can do with some serious helpless asap

ManMgn

I'm feeling really annoyed I thought new engine would work but I've spent 3 hours trying to get it running to break in engine but the wheels were going full tilt so stopped it, tried adjusting idle but made no difference at all, I can do with some serious helpless asap
If its stalling when igniter is removed that indicates the needles are too rich, thus the fuel is outing the plug. lean out the needles 1/8 of a turn at a time until it starts. increase the idle gap slightly and lean out the lsn till it starts. do 1/16 of a turn at a time clockwise.

ManMgn

I'm now breaking my first ever engine in, I've started it but wheels spin at high speed, what do I do,? Please help
rule of thumb with new motor is to preheat it during break-in. use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat it to 180 - 220 Fahrenheit. if the wheels are spinning it means ur idle gap is too wide. reduce it and the rpms should drop

Tiddy

I tried changing idle but it won't turn any more clockwise and it made no difference

ManMgn

It's a brand new engine I'm breaking it in, can I adjust the needles on break in?
if its stalling when the igniter is removed it most likely means the needles are too rich. factory setting are a baseline however flushing needles is vague, therefore it could be 3/8 of a turn richer than actual flush

Tiddy

This is turned off and throttle moves to this position

Attachments

• 20210612_210821.jpg
    20210612_210821.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210612_210807.jpg
    20210612_210807.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 3

ManMgn

This is turned off and throttle moves to this position
u need to readjust the linkage. the carb should be completely closed when neutral and the gap should be the size of the idle gap set via the idle screw

Latest posts

Members online