Tire Sizes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmuff

I have the savage 25 limited edition, and i still use the stock tires on it.
and ive also bought some tires that are the same size, and they work too.
but is there a tire that you can get that is like... massive?
is there a way to get bigger tires? what do i need to do?

How big do you want? Jumbo Kongs are 8 inches tall and use a 14mm hex rim...

Savage X should have come with 14mm hexes and axle nuts. Just a matter of pulling the hex off and replacing with the 14mm hex.

The X comes with 17mm stock. But you could buy the 14mm at you LHS and yoyu just pull off the stock ones and slide the new ones on

all of the eBay chop shops sell both the 14's and the 17's from the Sav-X kits, so I would guess they include both...

Is there a gearing thing goin on with the hexs or am I trippin does it matter in that way? or is it just the different stuff that we have to buy....lol

to go from 17mm to 14, yes, I believe all you have to do is change the hex hub...

Any Savage (pre-"X") had 14mm hex stock so that is what should be on yours unless you changed them to something else.

Is there a gearing thing goin on with the hexs or am I trippin does it matter in that way? or is it just the different stuff that we have to buy....lol

different size hexes don't change the gearing at all. the hex is only providing a point of contact for the wheel and axle.

the axle drives the wheel directly, so changing hex size wont affect any part of gearing

take a look at my avitar !

The only thing you really need is a set of 40 size or series rims and buy tires accordingly. Be careful not to go too big. you will see a drop of in performance as well. I currently fun a set of 40 series rims on my savage and the balance of torque and power seems to be perfect.

sorry for the long post

I say go as big as you dare to.

There will always be people who are too afraid to run the jumbo kongs etc, as they have been known to put extra stress on diffs, bearings etc. But if they were totally unusable Imex would not make them.

If jumbo kongs do seem too big, look at the Jumbo Maxxx sets, there alot wider than any other tyre, but not quite the large diameter of a Jumbo Kong.

JT is correct about the X having 14mm and 17mm. The 14mm hex's come in a little package with pins and wheel nuts.

i have the jumbo kongs on my truck they use stock hex my chassis is 5 inches longer its a monster get ready to change some clutches & slippers the tires weigh 10 pounds with rims they realy are awsome

different size hexes don't change the gearing at all. the hex is only providing a point of contact for the wheel and axle.

the axle drives the wheel directly, so changing hex size wont affect any part of gearing
That is correct...Tire diameter is what effects the gear ratio. It's reffered to as tire roll-out. Calculating roll-out is the last equation needed in determining the current gear ratio of any given tranny set up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back