Tips for building a backyard track...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepguy

Good day all Savage owners. The weather is warm again, and it's time to break out the Savage(s) and bash, crash and all that crap. Anyway, I have a fairly good sized portion of wasted area behind my house. Lots of scrub brush, weeds and such, but it's a prime candidate for building an RC dirt track. Problem is, I'm not really sure how to "work" this area to build it out. I just want to be able to run my RC rally and Savy's with others in the neighborhood and not trespass on private property just to have some decent places to run. Yeah there's plenty of parking lots and playgrounds, but it seems that we always draw a crowd (not always a bad thing) and there's no real track to practice on. SO anyway, without a tractor, or backhoe available, how would I start to break ground on this project? Also, can I just use the native dirt? I know I don't want weeds and stuff growing in it afterwards so what does everyone do to prevent this? Are there other materials I'm gonna need? Any suggestions will be helpful. I plan on working on this in my spare time, so It's something that will take some time I know.
Thanks all.
Jeepguy

Well jeepguy this is somthing that I've pondered over at my father in laws place." must have mother in laws permission thou..lol. my thoughts are. It would have to start with just like a track oval orwhat ever.right. *** you drive over it over and over alot the weeds wont grow. But you must always drive on it. Unless dumping some kinda chemical? over the ground. then as time went on you would just add dirt mounds for jumps gravel and sand area's. But I guess my main point is draw out a track and use construction ground paint to lay it. Use a weed eater Rent one if needed. gas powered with metal blade CUT the weeds all the way down then just drive the hell out of your truck till your track starts forming. I hope this helps you get started Oh flat head shovels work killer for scraping trials in dirt.

Rock salt is a great natural groath inhibitor and is dirt cheap.(so to speak) You can get it right from bayland salt processing companies all over the world. This can even keep bramuda grass at bay if used correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock salt works ok, or if you so decide to spend a little extra, you can get something such as "Roundup® Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer," which will kill everything there and keep it gone for at least 4 months. Really depends on how much you want to spend on it. Even the original "Roundup®" will kill everything there, and depending on how much you run on it, you really shouldn't have a problem anyway. (Sorry...not intending to plug anything too specific, it's just from experience. I'm sure there are other products that will do the same thing).

Latest posts

Members online

Back