Time to replace my HPI Savage 25 Replacement Engine??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byee

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get my Savage 25 started after letting it sit for 5 years.

I took the rotostart back plate off to clean the crude buildup.

I was able to start the engine....only to run for 20-30 seconds. However, I was unable to turn the engine over with my hand with no glow plug installed.

Can the engine be saved by replacing the piston and sleeve? Is this easy to do? ....or is it cheaper to replace the engine?

The HPI replacement piston and sleeve kit 1439 is no longer available but the full sleeve kit with the connecting rod is available HPI 1440 for $85USD.

I don't really want to spend too much money on the Savage. Its more for my grandnephew.

Suggestions on next steps.

If your looking for cheap, just pick up a f4.6 engine. There's one on eBay right now brand new complete for $140 shipped and has a new v2 start system so no more one ways, and you would have a spare parts engine. If you do want to go cheaper than a piston sleece is the way to go. Maybe some one here cam help you out with parts. Screenshot_20180221-202441.png

I have bought and used the .28 trackstar engine from ebay and has plenty of power and iirc I paid 80 bucks for it brand new to fix a friends savage.

I definitely like the $80 option for my grandnephew. Lots of great youtube videos available on the Trackstar engine.

Anyone else familiar with the .28 Trackstar engine from Hobbyking or eBay?

Thank you!

I can tell you that once it was broke in it was a wheelie monster.Other than it uses the turbo style glow plugs it is a great motor--usually always fired up on the first pull.

I can tell you that once it was broke in it was a wheelie monster.Other than it uses the turbo style glow plugs it is a great motor--usually always fired up on the first pull.
I definitely like the $80 option for my grandnephew. Lots of great youtube videos available on the Trackstar engine.

Anyone else familiar with the .28 Trackstar engine from Hobbyking or eBay?

Thank you!

The trackstar 28 nitro engine is just a rebranded GO 28 motor,
I've bought 2 at Christmas from hobbyking and have them in my savage twin,
Got them for £34 each on sale,
Just haven't got around to running them yet,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 5
^^^where did you get the mount to do the twin setup?

It’s not just a mount,
It’s a complete hot bodies big twin
Conversion kit
Comes with twin fuel tank that mounts under the engine plate
Hb big twin chassis
Hb big twin engine plate and motor mounts
Linkages, and some other small hardware
This kit is obsolete now
Very hard to get hold off
I got my New old stack chassis and engine plate from ryper hobbies in Australia
The fuel tank was ordered from France
And the other bits gathered thorough eBay

sounds like your bearings are gummed up. I would get WD-40 and fill a container up and take back plate off and head and put the engine in it for a couple of days. when you take it out spray the internals out with more WD-40 and see if that helps I've done it many times. Hope this helps.

Just tear it down to the bones and see what the heck is causing your problem. They are very simple engines so have at it, it’s the only way to do it right. No amount of soaking will remove all of the crud that can build up and it’s the only way to be sure you’ll have a good running reliable engine. If your not confident, look it up on YouTube, plenty of videos on this.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back