Thinking of Savage X 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fornwith

Aloha from Hawaii,

I've been thinking of purchasing the savage x 4.6, but I just wanted to know accessible parts are. Every thread of multiple sites I've been searching is either parts rarely come a few 2-3 months or for misc parts on ebay. My first truck was a savage that my father bought me when I was around 12, got back into the RC hobby around 20 and had a Tmaxx 2.5, Stampede, rustler. I had bought some redcat caldera's that broke nearly every time I used them, the terremoto was actually decent as I only broke dog bones, but the stock shocks were terrible.
I know HPI got bought out a few years ago, but if parts are very scarce I'll just go to buying Traxxas products again. It sucks in Hawaii how every LHS only pushes and carries Traxxas products. There's literally no other competition for them besides Red Cat. So my prefference is savage x 4.6>Revo 3.3>Tmaxx 3.3.

For me, I hate hate hate traxxas engines. The 2.5 was just a joke in a MT and the 3.3 just wasn't enough engine for me in a revo, didn't exist when I had a t-maxx many years ago. Ran too hot, was far too fussy to tune, power output was abysmal. I tried upgrading to a ths high torque pipe, alloy shoes, losi 3.4 carb... still an overheating dud. Ended up getting an OS 21TM, which was too much for the trans, so I had to shell out another $100 on RRP steel gears and now it's fine. My other revo is a true big block with an old school new era big block mount in it with an LRP28S3, 1/8th clutch/bell/flywheel and THS big block pipe. It's way too much power, but fun. The 21TM is just about perfect, but it's a costly upgrade, especially with RRP gears, for a truck that should start with a .21 big block in it in the first place.

If I were contemplating another nitro rig, I'm not sure what I'd pick either. I have both the savage-x (with an LRP30 in it) and 2 nitro revos. The savage is hands down the better of the two as far as durability and versatility of terrain is concerned. Even with the stock big block, it has power to spare for any type of bashing you do. The revo's just need sooooooooo much upgraded to make them bashable that it's a bit comical... yet I have 2 of them and 1 brushless revo... so there's something I like about them... just not sure what! LOL

I agree with above,I have a mint in box mid 2004 savage still in original box and was bought recently with only 1 tank thru it.My basher savage has cf side plates and gobs of mods including an LRP .30 v4 motor and it is scary powerful but fun.I have another 5 that I purchased at unbelievable prices on ebay and am going to redo those to newer specs and parts.For me I have had good luck finding parts here in the US.As far as a weak link the only thing my LRP motored savage has broke are the front diffs-been thru 2 of them.

My friend has a Revo 3.3 that he bought used for 300 from a local guy on the island. Being his first Revo and not knowing anything about nitro in general he spent another 300 fixing it. On the plus side he now knows how to tear apart his truck if anything goes wrong. My gut says to buy a savage so I'll just grab one. I guess I'm added to the list of ebay snipers looking for parts now haha. Mahalo!

I may have one going up on ebay soon completely gone thru with a new .28 motor and new radio system.

Latest posts

Members online

Back