thinking of getting a Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

I'm looking to get a nitro MT and I'm leaning towards the savage xl, i had a nitro savage x 4.6 rtr but turned it into a brushless savage so basically a flux. i love it love the sound love the ease of use, love that i can drive it for 30 min and just blow off the dust, were it took me almost an hour to clean my nitro, (I'm picky didn't really like to store it away dirty, lol). but you know for the 4 months or so i did like the nitro side, i like the uniquness of the nitro nothing brings attection like a screaming RC MT going down the road or at a park. i have a BL now i would like to have a nitro once again and like i said I'm leaning towards the XL it wont be something i will drive alot of though just once in awhile like a special occation tip of thing, but i have heard and read on this forum that the K5.9 engine is well a piece of S$#@. i know i have heard and read about the others that have had no trouble with there k5.9, but me I'm not that lucky lol. so should i just sale the motor on ebay right off the bat, and get an LRP .30 (heard they complimented the XL nicly) or run the k5.9 into the ground then buy a new engine? and what would be some good upgrades to start with that would save me some hassle later on? like i said i did have a nitro before so i do still have the nitro stuff like the ignitor and fuel and the bottle that i have. do they make a center skid plate for the xl yet? thanks for any advise kind of want this to go as smoothly as i can. i know there are probley other MT out there but well I'm a SAVAGE FAN and i think i always will be .

I got my k5.9 running good now, and it's been pretty good to me. I don't see a need to sell it right off the bat unless you have the money and don't care. The k5.9 can be a good motor, it's just not a picco or LRP but then again not too many are from what I hear, LOL. I love my XL and if your not going to run it that much I say give the k5.9 a chance and throw that money at a Futaba 3PM or a Spektrum 2.4Ghz radio setup instead. There are skid plates out there for it, FLM makes an aluminum one and PRC makes a CF one. I say the best first upgrade is a good radio for sure. I had a runaway with my stock radio equipment and quite a few things on the truck were broken as a result. HPI made good on it though, and not long after I got the truck back I bought a Futaba 3PM and couldn't be happier.

yeah i know, lol

but well maybe since i won't run it very often then i may just stick with the k5.9 never thought about it like that thanks. is the k5.9 pretty easy to tune, cause iv only tuned like 2 engines since i started this hobby back in january, and I'm even sure i tuned them right, lol. yeah iv been looking at a 2.4ghz would be nice since my stock savage x radio system had the range cut for some reason one day it was going pretty far the next cant go more than 3 or 4 yards sucks. but thanks for the advise it will be some time before i get one but i will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some issues when tuning mine but I think they were mostly my own fault. I did the break-in according to the manual and then tried tuning the motor. I don't think the motor was broken in enough yet. I have read a lot of people say that some motors take like a gallon before they are ready for performance tuning and the manual for the XL has you running like 3 or 4 tanks and then tuning. I just don't think it was enough to break-in the k5.9. Take your time on break-in and then only lean it out a little bit once every few tanks. I think I was just tuning too soon which led to my problems, but now that it is broken in well, it is very easy to tune, holds the tune well, starts easy, and runs strong and fast even though it saw 300+ degrees a couple times when I was having issues.

You could sell the motor for almost enough to buy the lrp but I would say get the .28 not the .30. Buy it for sure and run it while you are waiting for those batts to recharge. I bet you end up driving it more than the BL because the BL takes an hour to recharge nitro just refuel and go.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back