Things to upgrade on older Savages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tert

Made an attempt (might be a poor one but still an attempt) to show you what upgrades I have done to my old Savage and what things you might contemplate upgrading when installing a bigger engine in an older Savage. I hope this atleast helps someone out there.

Mine started as a stock savage X. It wasn't long before I installed the super HD dogbones, BP diffs and large cup axles to fit the bones. Then a steel spur so it'd quit melting them with an LRP28 in it for a while, but it got fussy and then put in a 30, which was also fussy. Put on a 125cc buggy tank and now it's like tangling with a bear. t-bonez rear skid/wheelie bar was pretty much a necessity or I'd chew a body up within a tank due to wheelies. Mine came with plastic big bores and I really like those over the old 8 shock setup from previous savage's I've had.

My next upgrade might be the 4 big bore shocks. They do seem nice.......
With the hellfire white springs and a little thicker oil, then can take 6+ foot drops all day long and handle pretty good otherwise.

I won a LST2 shock install kit a while back, but haven't used it yet. I have spare second full set of big bores in my spare parts... so could be a while before I try out LST shocks. A buddy of mine had them on his savage and it would land like it was landing on a cloud.

I won a LST2 shock install kit a while back, but haven't used it yet. I have spare second full set of big bores in my spare parts... so could be a while before I try out LST shocks. A buddy of mine had them on his savage and it would land like it was landing on a cloud.

I can attest to that. :D The LST setup works great for bashing.

LST Shock install kit?. I just put them on. The only problem I have had is breaking shafts on the front if you hit something just right that gets between the front tire and the bumper. Then they snap off at the threads inside the lower end.

That is a lot of parts. I really don't see what they do. I simply relocated the bottom of the shocks to the side of the a arms to clear the steering links. I had already eliminated the rear ones. The stock savage shock towers work fine. The shocks are angled over a bit but I haven't found that to be a problem.
IMG_6100.jpg

I think he was talking about savage big bore shocks anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back