TheFixxer's Rigor Mortis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFixxer

100% Addict..There is no hope
New truck in the stable. Just bought it this morning and came to work right away so no pictures just yet. Don't even really know a whole bunch about the truck but thought I would get the project build thread in place. I'll get some pictures up later today or tomorrow for it to start with.

Paid $150 for an 1/8 scale complete Losi Aftershock LE. Came with an Axial .28 engine and what looks to be upgraded servos and electronics. I am not convinced the previous owner took all that good care of it. Surely did not do after run care. Fuel tank is half full, there is fuel in the lines, and it is dirty.

As with any new used purchase, tear down, and clean is forthcoming. Not sure why I am calling it Rigor Mortis...don't ask. Name might change yet.

Took a once over during lunch to get acquainted with the rig. Here is was I can tell so far that doesn't come stock.

Integy front bumper support - bent (go figure)
Integy bottom frame and rear bumper support.
Axial .28 engine with a bad owb but does run
JR Racing Z270 throttle servo
Spektrum Z590 steering servos (dual)
STRC bellcranks
JR Racing XRi2 Tx - Blah
JR Racing R125 Rx - Blah
Team Losi Sport HT pipe.

Everything else appears stock but I won't know for sure until tear down. I can already see some things (from above short list) that I will be changing. The truck seems to be in relatively solid shape despite being beat on. Same guy I bought this from posted an incomplete parts truck for $50 right after I bout this so I might pick it up for parts....seeing as how most of my parts boxes are Losi light and HPI/Traxxas heavy. Soon as I get home I will get a couple starting pics to share. Just gotta remember my photobucket info...yeah yeah, been awhile since The Fixxer was around. Sorry about that.

So here are some pics. This is what my $150 got me. Still Trying to decide if it was worth it.

Yeah, I think it was a good price on the outside. I noticed though last night when I took pics, that the pipe is dripping a chocolate milk sludge. I'm thinking once I start tearing this down I'm gonna find a hornets nest of issues.

Need to pick a lid out for this rig and a theme/scheme. Any ideas? I am not settled on the name so open to suggestions there as well.

Did a little work on Rigor Mortis (still not stuck on the name) today. Got to looking over the truck and its really not that dirty so I am considering just fixing a few things and leave it go. I ordered a couple Losi LST2 parts lots on eBay, those came today so I have a few of the more common breakables and replaceable parts.

Didn't get a new front skid in the parts lots so I elected to modify the Integy part for now so I could put a stock plastic bumper on. IMHO that area needs some give. As you can see in the pics above that skid/bumper is bent pretty bad. I cut off the front bumper part of the Integy part and notched it to fit a stock bumper back on. It will work for now but 1st chance I get I will pick up a stock aluminum part.

Next I replaced all the 1.5 hex screws with 2.5. And I am glad I did. When I took the center cross member off I uncovered an engine mount broke into 3 pieces. Parts lots came with two so that got replaced for sure. I used red thread locker putting all that back together where a fastener went into metal.

Charged up the 1600mAH NiMH flat pack that runs the electronics and tested them out. Decently snappy for what they are so I will leave em in place for now. Throttle servo opens up quick but it has been reversed on the Tx....not a big deal to flip, but I am not leaving the AM radio in this truck. Pulled the FlySky stuff out of Ground Pounder (cuz that truck is not running......again) to install tomorrow.

Noticed in the parts lots diff housings and they are plastic. What is on the truck is grey in front blue in the rear and both aluminium. Contacted the previous owner and he did upgrade them to bullet proof so I will leave them be. The gears I can see..slipper and clutch bell, are clean and in like new shape and gear mesh was spot on. Transmission sounds good and no driveline binding that I can tell.

Tomorrow I will do some cleaning and I think get the truck in the dirt and see what it can do. I am not feeling the need to tear this truck down like my other trucks...I hope than feeling to come back to haunt me. I guess it depends on the cleaning if I starts finding bent hinge pins and stuff like that it's coming apart.

Spent my day off (the morning anyway) finishing up the walk through and assessment. Some light cleaning and changed the oil in the shocks. Really impressed on the cleanliness despite being a used truck. All the hubs looked great and nothing is bent. Found a body I had buried that was for an extended Stampede project years ago. Not proud of the paint so I'll strip and repaint.

The LST2 is one truck I've always wanted to play around with but still haven't had a chance to. Nice looking rig.

Thanks @WoodiE . It seems like a pretty stout well built machine. Still like my Savvy SS better though. Nothing beats a Savvy but this truck is a close second for sure.

The white chevy body is in stripper as we speak. Hoping to get some paint on it next couple days. Unfortunately this body was from my early days and I am findin it difficult to get all the paint off. Not sure wth kind of paint I used but it is stubborn. Going with a transparent green flake on black.

My youngest son has an LST, one of the first ones to come out, despite having many many mods to the truck, rpm arms and XXL chassis and plates his truck is always broken from even the slightest hits or jumps... I have gone over and over that thing and cannot seem to find out why it seems to break so easily, we have made the transmission into one like the aftershock has omitting the hi low setup because that never did work at all..... all in all I have not been sold on the LST platform as yet....

Good luck with yours Fixxer, I hope it is more of a runner than his is.......

I bought my LST and I believe the serial mumber is 147 I got it used off a member of this forum years ago before I dropped off the hobby. I ran it some and really enjoyed it before I shelved it, I recently went through it because I lost one of the drive axles. I was surprised at the number of things that where broken and off but it was still running. Going to rebuild because I am not sure if they where problems from when I got it or if they where problems being created by my driving. I think you will enjoy the LST once it gets running good it still not as nice as the savage is but both trucks have there own features to appeal to me.

Actually my serial number was 168

Last edited:
I too LOVE how the LST looks, it is a sweet running rig when it does run right, my kid has spent a lot on his truck and it does show well... just seems to break cvd's quite a lot and other things about it break frequently....

as you can see he has hundreds into this rig, he is a sucker for the shiney bits and pieces, like I say it runs like a scalded dog when it chooses to run right... :D

Hmmm.. starting to wonder if that is why it was cleaner than I expected from a used rig. Maybe a lot of parts got replaced. I guess we will see. From what I can tell Rigor Mortis is an AfterShock LE. This, LST, and LST2 are all 3 basically the same truck with improvements made through version history. I guess only one way to tell is get it in the dirt and squeeze the throttle.

Naked as a Jay bird.

The black stripes were a pain in the....yeah, you know. Not sure what kind of paint that was but I got it off. Gonna slap a coat of liquid mask quick to the outside as overspray protection and the windows inside. Let it dry overnight and get to painting. Lost all the decals on the outside from the stripping process so won't be much detail but it'll be better than the bad white and black stripes is was before.

Ok so...laid down waaaaaay to much Lame Flake (yes...lame flake, not a typo, that is what it is labeled as) Turned out far to flake for my tastes. Backed with basic black so it looks like a ton of flake. Ah well. Beater body anyway. I like this particular flake because it is color changing...purple, gold, silver, green, red, blue...depends on how the light catches it. Just sprayed too much. Totally blanked out masking the windows and was too late before I realized that. Found some left over decals from other trucks (moslty from the Assassin Savvy build) and slapped em on. Guess I will officially call this truck Grave Robber now seein how I used the grave robber decal across the tailgate.

Not bad Fixxer, a bit too flakey for me too, but after all is just a beater anyway and if the rig does well you can always get it a nice body and do it over again, this time masking the windows first I hope :D

Ran 3 tanks of fuel through this Monster today. Not a single issue. Had a little trouble getting it tuned but it was humid and hot here today but once I had it tuned it was unstoppable. Took a lot of video and in the process of mixing it with some music. Posting it up soon. Jumps, donuts, flips, speed runs and a few wipe outs.

Also ran The Assassin through 4 tanks and raced a little against the losi. It was pretty even..you'll see it all in a cool montage vid. Both trucks had their shining moments. Ground Pounder (my revo) made an appearance but only as a spectator. Could get it to tune in. Junk...I hate that thing.

Members online

Back