Tekin RX8 Support Q&A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekinTeamMgr

Team Tekin USA
Manufacturer
Hey Guys,

Randy Pike here from Tekin. I've had a savage since they first came out. I've raced it, bashed and modded it for over 5 years.

If you've got questions about our Tekin products, please feel free to ask.

hey Randy,

glad to have you on the forum.

We hear a lot about Tekin Systems & there's been a lot of interest around our shoutbox and Northeastern Track.

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about a new case for the RX8. Can you tell us a bit about it? what changes/improvements has Tekin made?

What battery power do you use or plan to use? This alters my motor suggestion greatly.

The new Rx8 case prevents vibration issues with solder joint fatigue. It's easy to identify as there are now only 3 mounting screw holes on the bottom.

Can I upgrade my Rx8 to the new case? I built my own Losi E-Lst XXL and have an Rx8/2250 in it running 4s. Thanks and welcome to the forum. We have lots of interest in your system here.

Thanks for the large welcome guys. I look forward to working with everyone.

On 4s I'd suggest either the 2000kv or 2250kv. If you plan to dabble in 5s take a look at the 1700.

If you're looking to get just one to try first go 2000 since it can run on 5s but is VERY VERY fast. Gearing will need to be very conservative to start out on 5s though.

Hello there Randy. I spoke with you on the phone yesterday about the "settings out of parameters" message with my hotwire. I reverted back to 1.98 and it seems to still come up. I am trying to figure out why this system seems to pull soo much more power than the mamba did in the same truck. I had a mamba 2200 system and now am running the rx8/2250 combo. Gearing was 25/59 in a Losi e-lst. When I switched to the tekin and took it to the track fir the first time it Puffed up my smc 8000 28c batteries up like crazy. They went back down and smc said to try it again. I tried it again and they started to puff a little after like 5 minutes so I stopped. I was then told to go with a smaller pinion so I am running a 21t now. I can run the truck around for a little longer than 5 minutes now but have the settings tamed down and it will strill puff the batteries if I run it hard. Yesterday I was bashing around and I puffed up another set of polyquest 5000 30c hardpacks. I tried running the voltage limiter as well as a concave throttle curve but the batteries still heat up. I tried default timeing advance and even dropped it down to like 5%. The motor and esc temps stay down around 100-110. It seems to be heating up the batteries. I did not temp it the first time at the track when the major puffing occured. Just looking for some ideas. I have one new in package smc 8000 28c but am timid about buing another only to get puffed. Let me know what you thing cause would really like to race this truck in the local monster truck class.

Tom try a 17 tooth pinion or you may want to drop to the 1700 kv motor.

I hear ya there but where I am at now I am only running about 33mph using a gearing calculator. I know speed is not everything but I wouldn't think 33mph is too much to ask for. Hopefully I will get it worked out soon. Thanks for the response Alex.

Have you considered going up to 5or 6 s. Drop the gear a bit. Give you better speed. And less draw on each cell

Yeah I actually can get a decent deal on a new 5s pack to try but have read the 2250 motor is designed for 4s. I would have to get a different motor. This might ultimately be my best choice if I want to keep the Tekin in the E-lst. Just seems odd the system would draw that much ore than the mamba 2200kv.

Turn drag break down all the way. Make sure your break curve and power is set as low as you can for your driving style and track. Try to make sure you use as little breaks as possible. Roll into turns and power out. All that minimizes the heavy draw on the batts that breaking creates

From the sounds of it you're batteries are not up to the current draw you're asking of them. 28c is pushing it in my book regardless of application. If the motor isn't hot you're not working US hard, just the packs. If you were running a 29 with the CC system I'd start there with ours as well. Sounds like you need some better rated packs.

Hi Randy,

I have a RS Pro/17.5 in my Blitz. We have been talking about set ups at the track and I was told by a carpet guy that has the same in his blitz to go with 12* timing on end bell 33 on the hot wire and to put the last 5 into the turbo. this all just sounds way over timed to me but yet he claims good temps.

I have looked at your team driver set ups also have threads in other places. My real question is will running all this extra timing 27-7 shorten my life on this system ?

Also out of the box my end bell appears to have more then 12 degrees on it already. Am I reading the bell right ?

The motors are set to 12 from the factory or near to it anyhow.

The setups are both mild for 17.5. I personally don't like turbo in offroad unless the straight is over 120ft.

Try my "standard 13.5 setup" posted on the website. You'll like it, it works great in SCT.

Ok I guess I will try a set of 40 -50c packs and see what it does with fresh packs. the 28t I had was way too much and even the 25t was crazy with anything but truggy tires. I think the 21t that smc recommended is a good gearing as long as I can keep everything happy. Thanks.

The motors are set to 12 from the factory or near to it anyhow.

The setups are both mild for 17.5. I personally don't like turbo in offroad unless the straight is over 120ft.

Try my "standard 13.5 setup" posted on the website. You'll like it, it works great in SCT.

Will do Randy. Ive been hearing to use it allot now lol.

Hello Randy I'm thinking about running the RX8 setup with 2000kv motor in my flux build (stock length) with 4-5s batteries

I was wondering if there is a motor mount that i can use with a Tekin motor in a savage or will it fit in to the stock motor mounts. Also will 2000kv motor give me the power i need for running back flips =) ?

It fits the stock mounts just fine. 5s 2000kv is about the fastest I'd strap up with that motor. But it does work just fine. Gearing is key to start off slow.

Running back flip?! I've never tried that lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back