TCS 5mm Flux TVP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ascender

Well, after a few months of beating these up, I'm ready for a review!

This is the set I ordered: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-5mm-Chassis-for-HPI-Savage-Flux-Red-p-17758.html

Shipping was incredibly fast, TCS sent me an email confirming my order within minutes, and another when the order shipped the next morning, and the package was in my hands inside of 3 business days.
When I opened the package, I found two beautifully machined and red anodized TVPs.

DSC00623-X2.jpg

These TVPs look and feel very soild, and the attention to detail in the design is obvious. The finish is perfect, and the anodizing makes the red color deep and liquid-looking.

Some features to note: All of the hardware locations are counter-bored by 2.5mm, which allows you to re-use the stock screws from the Flux. This also includes two grooves allowing free access to the right-hand motor-mount screws that sit so close to the stock TVP. The area where the roll-bar attaches withthe screws to the trans is machined down to allow it to fit, as well.

Also, on the HPI TVPs, the bar above the motor cut-out is thin and pierced by two holes that aren't used for anything. That bar bends and cracks at the holes, andis the weakest area on the stock TVPs. Not only does the TCS TVP omit the two little holes, but TCS has added material to that section, completely eliminating any weakness.

Installation is the exact same as the stock TVPs, and took me about an hour, doing one side at a time. I didn't even have to reset the mesh on the spur and pinion. The pin/stud on the bulkhead was a little tight, but when the joint-post screw was tight, everything fit together snugly.

Installed pictures(on otherwise dirty truck):
596102760_cTXPu-L.jpg

596103565_3jHFE-L.jpg

596104461_vzCW5-L.jpg

Long term:
After inspecting the truck today, the only damage I can find to the TVPs after months of abuse is some light scratches in the anodizing on the bottom edge where the truck hits bottom on landings. I honestly think the truck would split in half through the plastics before you bent or broke these TVPs. The extra weight is almost un-noticeable and doesn't appear to have any effect on the truck at all.

Scores:
Appearance: 10/10
Design: 10/10
Installation: 10/10
Durability/Strength: 10/10
Price: Off the scale.

The ext version is out now, but only in bare aluminum. He had to use a different shop to machine them, and I guess the new shop can't do the anodizing in-house, and he also reduced the thickness on the ext to 4.6mm, but I don't think that will hurt the strength any. He should have anodized versions out in a month or so, just in time for Xmas!
I couldn't wait, though, so I ordered the bare aluminum ones. They require the 142mm dogbone from the XL, and they also have screw locations for an optional ESC plate that brings the ESC down between the TVPs behind the motor. The ESC mount sits on two HPI engine mount braces.
All in for ext TVP, dogbone, ESC mount and braces: $72.46

I think that puts it roughly equal to the cost of the FLM ext TVPs, and a servo plate for the ESC-forward conversion.

Nicely Done Review Ascender.
Do these come with any type of warranty?
Other than the color, what is the benefit over the stock Tvps?
Do they come in extended chassis version?

Why are they so cheap?

awsome review!!! so there just for the flux right?
Yep, Flux only, and TCS says no plans for nitro, sorry.

Nicely Done Review Ascender.
Do these come with any type of warranty?
Other than the color, what is the benefit over the stock Tvps?
Do they come in extended chassis version?

Why are they so cheap?

From the TCS page: "No questions asked replacement if you send in an unusable chassis (bent, broken, etc.) Lifetime warranty."
I think that right there sums up the advantage over stock. They are MASSIVELY stronger than the stock HPI parts. If HPI offered the same guarantee, even just on the TVPs, they'd go broke.

As an example, here's how they TESTED them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5vILOPVX54

And yes, they just came out with the ext TVPs, in bare aluminum only for the moment, but with color-anodized versions on the way.

I couldn't tell you why they're that cheap, other than being made in Hong Kong.

Do you know the weight on these?

0.8lb for the standard length, 0.99lb for the extended ones. HPI stock are 0.52lb.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back