Tamiya King Hauler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullThrottle

So, I bought my King Hauler the month they came on the market(July '93 IIRC) and I now have many many miles on it.
When I first assembled it I put in a full set of ball bearings and at one point I had made my own set of working lights, complete with blinkers.
The lights went up in smoke after overturning at 20+ mph in 3rd gear and sliding off the sidewalk, into a puddle where it was completely submerged..... while powered.... Ooops!!
It has a Trinity Monster Horsepower 25 turn single with a clip on finned aluminum heat sink, a Novak 610-HRV reversible ESC, Futaba Attack 4 channel, and a full set of oil filled shocks that were added on a few years back.
Being who I am, and loving engineering and building my own things, I made billet front & rear bumpers and grille from 3/8" thick aluminum. They are STOUT!!
I also built a dump body and a tow truck body for the back half of the chassis.
I started by moving the ESC and radio gear to the confines of the cab body in order to facilitate removal of the sleeper cab.
I then modified the cross members to make space for the drive gear for lifting the dump body or tow boom.
Then I needed a place for the batteries, so I removed the inside portion of the tanks to leave a void to zip tie the batteries(one on each side, one for truck power, one for dump/boom power) in place.
I used an old school 3 speed Tamiya mechanical speed controller and a servo on the fourth channel of the radio for boom/dump power supply.
My boom/dump is powered by the motor/gearbox/chuck assembly from an old cordless drill w/threaded rod secured in the chuck to provide movement.
The arms that actuate the dump/boom are connected to a nut that moves with the turning of the threaded rod.
Both bodies will lift approximately 25 pounds!!!!
When GoPro gets around to sending my warranty replacement camera, I will take some detail pics of all that I did to it.
The dump body and tow body are both made from 1/4" thick Lexan and a boat load of 3/4"x#4 screws.

Pics to come, but in the meantime, here's 2 crappy cell phone vids of it with the dump body on it.:

Sweet King hauler, I have thought about gettin one for years, HHHHHMMMMMMMM I already have a 4 channel radio in my totes, maybe i outta renew my want list a bit.....:)

Thanks guys!
Jam, it's a fun truck, it draws a crowd every time!!! Don't deny yourself!!!:lmao:

I forgot about when I had a R.A.M. diesel sound generator in it. THAT was cool!
Then about a month after that Tamiya introduced their light/sound unit for it....
The sound generator just stopped working out of the blue one day a few years later, so it got hauled out...

I ordered a new body and the interior parts for the King Hauler!
I'm starting to lean toward a dark metallic purple color for the new lid.

I also found a way to make license plates for it(and my crawlers).
I chose this plate for it:
king sht com.gif

Reactions: X
Thanks guys!
I haven't figured out a color yet.
Narrowed my choices down to a deep purple metallic, hunter green metallic, possibly an electric blue metallic, or a deep blue metallic.
I'm in no hurry, but I'll keep you posted!

Latest posts

Members online

Back