Taller 2nd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahhorner

I have an older Savage 3.5 that I'm wanting to change the hearing in the transmission. I'm only looking to set up to a higher gear for second gear rather than changing the spur gear.

That is doable, but you also have 2 other choices that you may also consider, 2nd being changing your clutch bell and spur gear setup, 3rd is going from your 13/43t diff gearing to a 9/29 set up ,It will definitely make your diffs more Bullitt proof and open up I think way more options to consider.

That is doable, but you also have 2 other choices that you may also consider, 2nd being changing your clutch bell and spur gear setup, 3rd is going from your 13/43t diff gearing to a 9/29 set up ,It will definitely make your diffs more Bullitt proof and open up I think way more options to consider.
The goal is to maintain the torque that the first gear can deliver and gain just a little more top end. That's why I wanted to pick on the second gear rather than changing the spur and clutch bell gearing. I've found it pretty exhausting coming across parts for my Savage.

Yes, I understand, I'm just giving your more option that can give you more benefits, there is also a 3 speed trans option, but all is dependent on one budget. Just helping you out with different options, the diff option will give a big top end difference, then one can play around with spur and clutch bell combos, basically budget is a factor, my savage has a picco boost .28 with a 3 speed tranny, with a 13t clutch bell, 52 spur and 9/29 diffs, and I have insanely bottom end and speed is just over 30 mph I'm pretty confident. But I am setting up for more track style. Jumping to a 15 clutchbell puts truck at 38mph.

Yes, I understand, I'm just giving your more option that can give you more benefits, there is also a 3 speed trans option, but all is dependent on one budget. Just helping you out with different options, the diff option will give a big top end difference, then one can play around with spur and clutch bell combos, basically budget is a factor, my savage has a picco boost .28 with a 3 speed tranny, with a 13t clutch bell, 52 spur and 9/29 diffs, and I have insanely bottom end and speed is just over 30 mph I'm pretty confident. But I am setting up for more track style. Jumping to a 15 clutchbell puts truck at 38mph.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the info since Google is not helping me with actually finding gears. Do you know of individual gears or do they always sell them in sets?

Yes, Ebay has them all over, that's the only place I shop for parts, as for gearing part numbers , they should say whether a 1st or second gear upgrade. Search under, hpi savage trans gears. Hope it helps

Yes, Ebay has them all over, that's the only place I shop for parts, as for gearing part numbers , they should say whether a 1st or second gear upgrade. Search under, hpi savage trans gears. Hope it helps
I tend to stay away from eBay, just for the simple fact of the unkowns that come with quality, but it seems like that's the best option anyways. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back