Suspention

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Williams

Hi there,

Ive recently nearly completed my Baja build but struggled building the suspention to a standard that the oil doesnt leak it was quite difficult but got them together but really want them to have oil in.

Thinking of buying ready built shocks i found some but it states no oil comes will it so my question is how easy is it to put oil in these shocks and what does the extra piggy back do thanks for any help.

s-l1600.jpg

Well they do look the part, nicely built by what I can tell. start with removing the spring retainers and taking off the springs, as for filling with oil it is pretty basic, remove the top cap, fill to about 90% full, stand them after putting thru a few strokes of the piston so the air bubbles all come to the top and pop. after they sit awhile add a few more drops until they are filled, put the tops back on and see how they feel in your hand as you cycle the piston again a few times, as for the add on chambers, I can't tell if they are just decoration or functionality , I final fill mine with the piston set in the middle of the stroke with the reservoir full and screw the top on while watching for the shaft to extend out as you tighten the top down, yes it can be messy but after you do one I think you will be comfortable doing the other 3, wash them all down with motor spray or denatured alcohol in a spray bottle then put the springs and retainers on and you are done.... a link to the actual shocks would help see if the reservoirs are actual or just decorations

Well they do look the part, nicely built by what I can tell. start with removing the spring retainers and taking off the springs, as for filling with oil it is pretty basic, remove the top cap, fill to about 90% full, stand them after putting thru a few strokes of the piston so the air bubbles all come to the top and pop. after they sit awhile add a few more drops until they are filled, put the tops back on and see how they feel in your hand as you cycle the piston again a few times, as for the add on chambers, I can't tell if they are just decoration or functionality , I final fill mine with the piston set in the middle of the stroke with the reservoir full and screw the top on while watching for the shaft to extend out as you tighten the top down, yes it can be messy but after you do one I think you will be comfortable doing the other 3, wash them all down with motor spray or denatured alcohol in a spray bottle then put the springs and retainers on and you are done.... a link to the actual shocks would help see if the reservoirs are actual or just decoration
Can I just ask what the reservoirs purpose is apart from extra oil as I'm looking to buy some so its for my research

Well they do look the part, nicely built by what I can tell. start with removing the spring retainers and taking off the springs, as for filling with oil it is pretty basic, remove the top cap, fill to about 90% full, stand them after putting thru a few strokes of the piston so the air bubbles all come to the top and pop. after they sit awhile add a few more drops until they are filled, put the tops back on and see how they feel in your hand as you cycle the piston again a few times, as for the add on chambers, I can't tell if they are just decoration or functionality , I final fill mine with the piston set in the middle of the stroke with the reservoir full and screw the top on while watching for the shaft to extend out as you tighten the top down, yes it can be messy but after you do one I think you will be comfortable doing the other 3, wash them all down with motor spray or denatured alcohol in a spray bottle then put the springs and retainers on and you are done.... a link to the actual shocks would help see if the reservoirs are actual or just decorations.
Thanks for your help Jam, here is the link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19569411...pid=5338746426&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Latest posts

Members online

Back