Suspention.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Williams

Hi there, i haven't used my car since i broke the diff shaft and dog bones. Yes it was a bad time but Gazzman helped advise me it could have been down to too much travel on the suspension so i fitted spacers inside the shock. The question is: what happens if you drive your car without the oil in even if i just want to test it out? And whats the strongest dog bones/ diff shafts for my truck? If someone could give me a code or part number for the diff shaft super heavy duty for savage xl flux v2. Thanks. :)

This is my car, cant find the right part for it or will the normal ones be allright?Screenshot 2022-12-16 000243.png

Just been reading and it seems my truck is fitted with super heavy duty diff shafts as standard so no use upgrading as that's what i used to repair with anyway.

You don't need better dog bones (trust me), just put the o-rings on the output diff shaft to reduce the slack. You can test it without the shocks being completely filled with oil, but it needs to have enough to lubricate the pistons and avoid damage by friction, but there is no point in that, in my opinion, just fill it up with at least 500 cst oil, and you're good to go, I'm using 1200 cst on mine, with the stock pistons, and i also have spacers on them.

Hey Gazzman, i was just about to show what i did to my diff axel and dog bone to show what i did! IMG_3046.JPGIMG_3047.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3049.JPG

No worries Paul, but like mvtepixels said, make sure you have the O rings in the diff cups to remove to much end float in the dogs.
Those dog bones are beast and if anything is going to break on them it will be the pins. The damage to your cups looks like was caused as the dogs came out of them, they are pretty weak at the open end and will splay out like yours have if the ball-end runs to close to that end. Hence the O ring.👍

No worries Paul, but like mvtepixels said, make sure you have the O rings in the diff cups to remove to much end float in the dogs.
Those dog bones are beast and if anything is going to break on them it will be the pins. The damage to your cups looks like was caused as the dogs came out of them, they are pretty weak at the open end and will splay out like yours have if the ball-end runs to close to that end. Hence the O ring.👍
I reckon i`l probably get them they look decent :)

Yes they are Paul, and Robert@Innovative-RC is a decent bloke to, well helpful and makes all his parts himself. Have bought quite alot of his stuff and if his site is show nil stock of an item he will usually make what ever you want from scratch. Made me & Guinnessdublin a set of 1" extend rear, 6mm extend front LCG TVPs as one offs, guinnessdublin even got him to do his black anodized. He can be abit slow at replying to emails but does get back to you eventually.

Looks like he's showing 4 pairs in stock at the moment and if you but 2 pairs the second set is 25% off so works out at £39.50 for 4 dogs. plus they are nickel plated which gives a nice look to.

Bending dog bones it's a way of preventing diff shafts from breaking when the suspension arms flex a lot, on crashes or bad landings, sometimes the dog bone pops off, but when it doesn't, the diff shaft will have to deal with all the forces. I did bend dog bones a few times, but only broke two diff shafts, and it's way better to hammer a dog bone to get it straight again, than having to open a diff to put a new shaft...
But hey... just an opinion... below is a picture for better understanding:
20230106_193508.jpg20230106_190228.jpg

Yes they are Paul, and Robert@Innovative-RC is a decent bloke to, well helpful and makes all his parts himself. Have bought quite alot of his stuff and if his site is show nil stock of an item he will usually make what ever you want from scratch. Made me & Guinnessdublin a set of 1" extend rear, 6mm extend front LCG TVPs as one offs, guinnessdublin even got him to do his black anodized. He can be abit slow at replying to emails but does get back to you eventually.
Yeah sounds really good, thanks for that. Very helpful. :) Cheers Gazz.

Yes as Gazzman says Innovative RC products are top class & like he says email him if a item out of stock & he will do his hardest to get them made for you.
Not forgetting the no quibble life time warranty on many of his products, which speaks volumes about his products in my mind!👍🏻

Thanks for the link :) :cool:

Yes as Gazzman says Innovative RC products are top class & like he says email him if a item out of stock & he will do his hardest to get them made for you.
Not forgetting the no quibble life time warranty on many of his products, which speaks volumes about his products in my mind!👍🏻
Hello Mate, Yes forgot about the Life time warranty on his products & like my old mate says, Speaks volumes about the quality of his products.👍

What o ring? Is there a part number?

What o ring? Is there a part number?
The O rings that go in the diff cups between the dog bone ball-end and the inside of the diff cup.
If you have standard Savage dogs with the 9mm ball-ends the part No. is HPI #6811 6x9.5x1.9mm and if you have the Flux or XL heavy duty dogs with the 11mm balls then the part No. is HPI #75080 7x11x2mm.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/925/
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/15081/
I know your in the states and these are from a UK site but listed just for reference. 👍

Last edited:
The O rings that go in the diff cups between the dog bone ball-end and the inside of the diff cup.
If you have standard Savage dogs with the 9mm ball-ends the part No. is HPI #6811 6x9.5x1.9mm and if you have the Flux or XL heavy duty dogs then the part No. is HPI #75080 7x11x2mm.
I know your in the states and these are from a UK site but listed just for reference. 👍
Interesting but these O rings aren't shown in the exploded view of the truck in the X4.6 GT-6 or the XL5.9 GT-6 manual but are still in the parts list, they are shown in the original X4.6 & XL 5.9 manuals tho.

If you have standard Savage dogs with the 9mm ball-ends the part No. is HPI #6811 6x9.5x1.9mm and if you have the Flux or XL heavy duty dogs with the 11mm balls then the part No. is HPI #75080 7x11x2mm.
Awesome thank you for the help. I have the old HPI Savage XL. I will definitely get these.

Awesome thank you for the help. I have the old HPI Savage XL. I will definitely get these.
No worries mate, Always glad to help a fellow Savage user.
Alot of peps don't realise that these are in the diff cups and when working on their trucks they have a tendency to fall out. As a short term fix you can use small pieces of fuel line but this don't last to long.

No worries mate, Always glad to help a fellow Savage user.
Alot of peps don't realise that these are in the diff cups and when working on their trucks they have a tendency to fall out. As a short term fix you can use small pieces of fuel line but this don't last to long.
Can you use superglue to keep them in is it a good idea?

Latest posts

Members online

Back