STS D28M review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydig11

since no one could help me with a review when i was shopping for a engine i took a chance with the STS.28. Unboxing the engine i was very impressed. nothing fancy on the out side but the insides look top notch. As i do with all engines i ever run i took it apart for a inspection . nothing was flawed and it sealed up with no issues. once installed in my savage the carb was not returning to closed even with a return spring. I took off the carb and found it was binding a little. The bind was coming from a bur in the idle screw. I removed the bur and all was good.

Break-in went flawless. i used some 1 year old fuel i had laying around to get rid of and it fired up on the first push of the roto button. i heat cycled for 2 mins 3x. after that it was all down hill. after about 4 tanks and a glow plug later i leaned out little bye little till it was good to go.
I only have about 1/2 gallon on it but so far i rate this a 3 out of 5 only because of the sticky carb.

funny you ask for a vid. after breaking in the engine i broke down my savage to change diff oil and clean all the HPI green grease from the bones. i had it all back together yesterday with my wife with camcorder in hand to shoot some action shots. well i have to say that something must have happened to the con-rod. i was running at 350F. I'm not a noob. i was running rich blowing loads of smoke . it was so rich that it would not even shift. i leaned it a bit to get performance. once i did this it ran good till i temped it and it was 350F+. at one point the engine got stuck at TDC and stripped the roto gears. I let the engine cool so i could inspect the con rod. once apart everything inside look normal. i put it back together with a pull start and the same over heating wile blowing smoke. I think the con rod is junk and stretched a little bit making the piston go to high in the pinch zone of the sleeve causing it to over heat. ill be contacting nitrocountry.com monday to see what they will do for me. i am on my way to LHS to get a axial .32. the rating for the STS .28 is now a 1 out of 10 !! i hope they replace it for me and i get better luck with the next one.

ya purenitro here at the forum says he will never work on a sts engine ever again,he wont even mod one and he's a pro.. I was going to buy one myself till i heard that from him........sorry to hear about that buddy..

it happens:devil-smiley-007:

well I saw the date and thought this was a Aprils fool joke till your 2nd post... Sorry about the motor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back