STS .28 or Axizl .28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

I'm ready to buy a new engine for my Savage and can't make a final decision. I'm down to these two and would like some input from people that have run these engines. I used to have a K4.6, anyone know how they compare to it?

Thanks

axial all the way. sts has alot of problems according to alot of other people and the axial has so many good reviews. get a new k4.6 or an axial imo.

If I would have to choose between those 2 mills I would pick the axial hands down!!!!! But can I make another sug ........ look at the surefire .32 One of the most powerful engines out there right now I should know Iam running one.. Also u can find them on the net for like 175 dollars spend a few more dollars and get more power its well woth it in the long run my friend, but ether way the axiel is still a good mill heaes the link to racersedge web site, don't freak out by the price there allot cheper around the web along with spare parts Keep us posted on what u get ok http://www.racers-edge.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm I would have to say the STS 28 because it is a super powerful motor. The only people that really have problems with them are the people that don't know how to break-in an engine or who rush break-in. So yeah STS all the way. I have had no problems yet and I can't wait till the first gallon is over so I can tune it to perfection!!!

-Josh-

Last edited by a moderator:
both the axial and the k4.6 will outrun the sts easy. no comparision in my opinion

I have an axial .28, and it is by far the best engine I have owned in 20 years of r\cing in terms of raw power, easy tuning, and smooth powerband. The axial is an awesome engine. don't settle for less. There is also the Axial .32, but from what I have heard so far, it will decintigrate your drivetrain lol. Way too much torque.

I think I'm going to give the axial .28 a try. From past experience I have learned that most .32 mills have tons of torque but not as much on the top end. I liked the power of the k4.6 (k4.6 pulling 2nd gear wheelie in avatar) and from what I have read the axial .28 is just as good or better.

Thanks for the input guys!

Look at what showed up today!

axial28zu1.jpg

I started the break in but ran out of time, I'll finish up tomorrow.

i've been looking at that mill myself...please keep us up to date on your thoughts...any quirks, etc...

Nice choice you made,i know because i own the Axial.32,and like Rebel-rc said,easy tuning,they hold a tune very good,start awesome even when warm,so far i have around 20 tanks through mine of.....40% sidewinder..and i run a cooler plug...wow is all i can say,power on demand,just don't get in a rush,break it in properly,keep your temp in check and you will have no problems what so ever.

-Joe

I finished the break in and ran a couple of tanks after....It's a beast! I can't wait to see what it's like after it's fully broke in.

What up fellas..I haven't been on in a while but I have been running the Savage.

I re geared 17/47 and ran about another quart through it. It wheelies on command, shifting into second....it's a handful when your hard on the throttle and the head has some scars to prove it LOL. I just about destroyed my body so I bought a wheelie bar and the roll bar/engine protector from an X and installed it, hopefully this will limit the damage.

If anyone is shopping for a cheap powerhouse I would strongly suggest the Axial .28!

well i owned the hpi 4.1 broke it in a week after a bad landing. now own the sts .28 after the initial everythign goes wrong for logs' truck BS the sts .28 is awsome. bought a k4.6 off ebay the otehr day so i can build a second truck but yeah its gotta wait :) found an old bmx track today for the next best bash vid ever ;) !

Nice choice you made,i know because i own the Axial.32,and like Rebel-rc said,easy tuning,they hold a tune very good,start awesome even when warm,so far i have around 20 tanks through mine of.....40% sidewinder..and i run a cooler plug...wow is all i can say,power on demand,just don't get in a rush,break it in properly,keep your temp in check and you will have no problems what so ever.

-Joe

The axial and the surefire are allmost the same engine and If the axial is anything like the surefire Your right about the axial.. I hardly ever touched the carb and allways held a tune temps were allways 220 to 240 at the tops and awesome power and comster servise is top notch any choise would be a great one !!!!!!!!!!!!!1 oohh by the way I have right at 5 gallons on the rebuild and still is like brand new

The axial and the surefire are allmost the same engine and If the axial is anything like the surefire Your right about the axial.. I hardly ever touched the carb and allways held a tune temps were allways 220 to 240 at the tops and awesome power and comster servise is top notch any choise would be a great one !!!!!!!!!!!!!1 oohh by the way I have right at 5 gallons on the rebuild and still is like brand new

Thats what people said about the axial .28 and the K 4.6, and I can tell you they are very different. I want to see a surefire and axial apart side by side before I believe it. Never judge by the crankcase, those are usually generic. The Axial .28 has way better porting than the K 4.6, me and Phil verified that first hand when we got a blown axial and rebuilt it. we compared the sleeve to the HPI sleeve we had from an old toasted K 4.6. Two very different motors.

Just to clarify, not trying to start a war.....

my brother is running the axial .28 its really fast n performs really well...but it is a pain in the a$$ to actually have it running...it takes a while for it to warm up....he really likes it....except that he was to wait a good like 5-7 mins for it to warm up or sometimes even longer

hpi sounds like your bro don't have it tuned right maybe he should try leaning out the hs needle a tiny bit

wind yea that sounds about right..ill let him no...but other than that the axial is a great engine it deff burns me (k4.6) but again we haven't really raced on a track..but ive driven his and it rips me a new A hole...and i sounds great too

my brother is running the axial .28 its really fast n performs really well...but it is a pain in the a$$ to actually have it running...it takes a while for it to warm up....he really likes it....except that he was to wait a good like 5-7 mins for it to warm up or sometimes even longer

Ours warm up very fast, (we have 3) he definatly needs to lean out a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Back