Still possible to own gas rc's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fstndt

Hi is it still affordable to have a gas rc car in Europe? Because, I'm thinking to buy a savage octane, but when i look on google for purchassble parts I can't find anything. Does this just mean that when I break a part, I won't be able to replace it?

This truck is discontinued by HPI and when they discontinue a model they stop producing spares for them aswell, so when the stock dries up that leaves secondhand parts. As far as the engines went they were woeful to say the least. There are many makes of Gas powered RC available, but most of these are 1/5 scale. I have had many gas powered models over the years. Monster trucks, Baja, Touring cars and sport trucks, all of mine were FG brand with the Zenoah engines. And yes still well worth having. 40-45 minute run time on a tank of fuel and the fact they start and run very well. Just like starting a lawnmower or Go-ped.
Here a few photo of the FGs I had.
1670352200286.jpeg1670352227929.jpeg1670352402825.jpeg1670352496342.jpeg1670352918093.jpeg
1670352592942.jpeg1670352669538.jpeg1670352710629.jpeg1670352790397.jpeg1670352835114.jpeg

Sadly the Octane did not make the cut, I always wanted one of these 1/5 style beasts, but storing them is a chore, room is at a premium in my cave...:rolleyes:
:cool::cool:

This truck is discontinued by HPI and when they discontinue a model they stop producing spares for them aswell, so when the stock dries up that leaves secondhand parts. As far as the engines went they were woeful to say the least. There are many makes of Gas powered RC available, but most of these are 1/5 scale. I have had many gas powered models over the years. Monster trucks, Baja, Touring cars and sport trucks, all of mine were FG brand with the Zenoah engines. And yes still well worth having. 40-45 minute run time on a tank of fuel and the fact they start and run very well. Just like starting a lawnmower or Go-ped.
Here a few photo of the FGs I had.
View attachment 10450View attachment 10451View attachment 10454View attachment 10456View attachment 10462
View attachment 10457View attachment 10458View attachment 10459View attachment 10460View attachment 10461
Wow that's really much! I am chilling with my traxxas maxx and savage 4.6, so I was just thinking of buying a new one. The reason why I wanted a octane is because it just looks sick and will definetely survive some offroad😂. What's the name of the car in your 3th or 4th pic? Is it also easy and not too expensive to buy upgrades or replace things in the car?

The 3rd pic is of the 2 beetles & the Mini, These were all fitted on to the FG Marder chassis but the green beetle had a custom made chassis which allowed the engine to be laid down. This was the one I used for track racing, used to race it in a league which called Outlaws over here. Basically road racing off-road 1/5th vehicles with no rules on specs, anything goes. the truck in the 4th,5th & 6th picture are FG Monster trucks. 32cc 2 stoke. These are still made today and are pretty bulletproof, They are available in 2 or 4 wheel drive now but both these 2 were rear wheel drive only. Not sure what they cost now but back 15 years ago when I had these they were about £1000 without radio gear or servos. The only thing that ever went wrong with mine was I ripped a diff casing open by getting a rock stuck in the rear bulkhead. You can get hydraulic or cable brakes which put a brake roto on all 4 wheels which gave it the same stopping power as a full size car.
They aren't cheap to buy but well cheap to maintain as nothing breaks. Engines go on for ever, and to get started just pump the primer bulb on the carb a couple of times, put the choke on and give it a couple of pulls Never go out of tune and just great fun.

Hello
I was going to buy a new old stock HPI Octane from RC4ME. But after reading all bad reviews I have decided not to. And trust me I really wanted one. I have several nitro and 1\5th gas 30cc. But the Octane engine had problems. That's why I'm holding off on buying one.

Hello
I was going to buy a new old stock HPI Octane from RC4ME. But after reading all bad reviews I have decided not to. And trust me I really wanted one. I have several nitro and 1\5th gas 30cc. But the Octane engine had problems. That's why I'm holding off on buying one.
That's is a very wise move my friend.👍

The 3rd pic is of the 2 beetles & the Mini, These were all fitted on to the FG Marder chassis but the green beetle had a custom made chassis which allowed the engine to be laid down. This was the one I used for track racing, used to race it in a league which called Outlaws over here. Basically road racing off-road 1/5th vehicles with no rules on specs, anything goes. the truck in the 4th,5th & 6th picture are FG Monster trucks. 32cc 2 stoke. These are still made today and are pretty bulletproof, They are available in 2 or 4 wheel drive now but both these 2 were rear wheel drive only. Not sure what they cost now but back 15 years ago when I had these they were about £1000 without radio gear or servos. The only thing that ever went wrong with mine was I ripped a diff casing open by getting a rock stuck in the rear bulkhead. You can get hydraulic or cable brakes which put a brake roto on all 4 wheels which gave it the same stopping power as a full size car.
They aren't cheap to buy but well cheap to maintain as nothing breaks. Engines go on for ever, and to get started just pump the primer bulb on the carb a couple of times, put the choke on and give it a couple of pulls Never go out of tune and just great fun.
Hi thanks, I bought a 2wd FG truck today! I drove it a bit on offroad and onroad. It's really different from a 4wd nitro savage, it likes to drift a lot on high speeds. I noticed it has a lot of power once it has reached more than 10mph. I am new to gasoline engines, so I've just some questions;
Is it normal that when I give throttle slowly, the engine revs up, but does not rotate stable? It just sounds strange while controlling it.
If this is a problem with tuning, what should I do? Is it like a nitro engine with a high and lowspeed needle, and does it have the same effects if you richen or lean it a bit?
Is it also normal that the air filter rotates so easy, especially when the engine is driving?
Is it also normal to take out the engine, put it out in pieces and oil it just like nitro?
20221211_193020.jpg

Last edited:
Well 1st good on you for buying an FG, well the air filter shouldn't rotate but be fixed to the carb just like a nitro truck, as for oiling the motor there is no need this is just like a 2 stroke chainsaw or mower, just leave it when finished using it. No need to for after run oil or any of that crap, no need to run the fuel dry before storing it, all though like all fuels it will go off in time.
As for your question about not rotating right at low revs, not sure what you mean.

Think in the new year when my bonus comes from work I will be getting myself another FG monster truck, I do miss mine alot. The whole reason I left Savages and went for the FG was for the ease of use & the run time on a tank of gas. The rear wheel drive version does handle abit like a drift car but you do get used to it fairly quickly. Only issue with rear wheel drive only is that if you do air and take off badly you will laid badly as no means of correcting the angle of the truck once it has left the ground.
What size engine does yours have, most of the early ones were 26cc.
What ever motor you have, it will piss all over an HPI Octane and be alot more reliable. The Zenoah engine these are nie on bulletproof.
Used to have a full chrome version of this engine back in the day.
1670798575437.jpeg1670798606005.jpeg1670798641040.jpeg

Think in the new year when my bonus comes from work I will be getting myself another FG monster truck, I do miss mine alot. The whole reason I left Savages and went for the FG was for the ease of use & the run time on a tank of gas. The rear wheel drive version does handle abit like a drift car but you do get used to it fairly quickly. Only issue with rear wheel drive only is that if you do air and take off badly you will laid badly as no means of correcting the angle of the truck once it has left the ground.
What size engine does yours have, most of the early ones were 26cc.
What ever motor you have, it will piss all over an HPI Octane and be alot more reliable. The Zenoah engine these are nie on bulletproof.
Used to have a full chrome version of this engine back in the day.
View attachment 10477View attachment 10478View attachment 10479
Nice! I am actually not the first owner of my FG. I guess I am even the third owner😂 I bought it from someone who likes to buy used, not working gasoline rc cars and repairs them. So my FG is actually just like the stock one. I use a 26cc, and I really enjoy driving it. I agree with you about rwd, I hope I'll get used to it soon... bit is there maybe a way to make the suspension less hard/stiff? It is so hard that it just does not work on asphalt or even offroad. I mostly just drive with it, I do'nt jump

Never had a problem with the suspension on mine, maybe reducing the shock oil viscosity will help. both of mine ran the oil that they came with from FG. They do bounce around more than the 1/8 scale monster truck but to be honest i didn't find mine that much different. Yes they do drift alot more due to being rear wheel drive only. But this you will get used to in time. they are a totally different beast to a nitro 1/8 scale. See the YouTube video of me and a few mates with our FGs attached.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back