Steering servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokky

Hi, anyone using a JX 46kg servo in their Savage or other car? http://www.jx-servo.com/en/Product/FULL-METAL/fmcs/460.html

I'm actually looking to put it in the Xmaxx and if it doesnt feel right then donate to a Savage.

I'm aware their specs are exaggerated but have been using their lower spec servos without issues, however the Xmaxx is heavier and generally gets more abuse.

Maybe someone has used it an Arrma car as they seem popular?

I've only ran Hitec servos. The ones in my savvy now are 10+ yrs old and still kickin. I've heard good things about savox. That's the best I can help with.

I've been running a cheaper JX for over a year in my ERBEv2 with trencher 3.8's on it. The DC5821LV. After getting it and running it, I ordered a couple more to have as backup servos for other things. Then I switched my esc to one I could set the BEC to 7.2V and switched to a hobbystar servo in it and my outcast. But, I'm still running the DC5821LV from my erbev2 in my stampede 4x4 and it's still doing great.

I have a jx lo profile( i forget the model) as a throttle servo in my savvy for quite awhile. pretty great for the price.

as much abuse as steering servos tend to take tho, I've always stuck with savox. they've never let me down.

also keep in mind that thats 46kg @ 7.4v not 6.6v. so you won't get that unless you screw with the bec.

I was gonna run it at 7.4V in the Xmaxx and if performance was no better than stock servo put in a Savage at 6.6V.

There are videos of someone testing it using a strain gauge which indicates it puts out half the torque. You can pay twice as much to get double this torque but I prefer to spend the difference somewhere else. Apparently its a copy of a Holmes Hobbie servo.

The stock Xmaxx one has plastic gears and is larger than the standard servo size. Their metal geared version with 20% more torque is about 100GBP. I'm used to spending no more than 20GBP for a servo, so it is a big jump for me to go to 40GBP for the JX 46kg servo.

Only way to find out is to get one.

Just ordered a jx 46kg servo so will find out.

Last edited:
ahh, gotcha. well hey godspeed to ya! let us know how it works.

if its has more torque even at half the rating then the stock xmaxx servo I can't imagine it would be worse (y)

I used one in my Savage for steering duties. After 6 months it started to stutter when turning left. The power is one thing. Durable electronics and processors are things the chinese servos still lack...

I used one in my Savage for steering duties. After 6 months it started to stutter when turning left. The power is one thing. Durable electronics and processors are things the chinese servos still lack...
I had a similar experience with a savox 1210sg in my outcast. Lasted just under a year, then stopped turning one direction. Took it apart and found the one of the fets blown. I replaced the fet and it lasted a couple months, then died again. So either the fet I put in was lacking (highly possible), or something was causing more current than it could handle and was killing it.

Either way, $85 for a year of use was a bit annoying, which is why I went with a $39 hobbystar that had just as good (if not better) specs at 7.2V. So far, it's doing well. If it lasts 6 months, I'm still money ahead, which happens to be at the end of this month. I installed it on 04/28/2020.

2020-0428-Outcast-Hobbystar-HCS-4521wpServo.jpg

$50 currently on amazon, but rcjuice has sales on them which is when I bought mine.
https://www.amazon.com/HobbyStar-HCS-4521-High-Torque-Digital-Waterproof/dp/B081TM8JSW

Also $50 there at the moment:
https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-hcs-4521-high-torque-digital-waterproof-crawler-servo.html

Latest posts

Members online

Back