steering question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowpopracer

I have a savage with quite a few mods on it already. My question is does anyone have any idea on how to make the steering turn further than the stock set up allows? I have a jr8550 servo so power isnt a problem, I would just like to figure out a way to make the wheels turn at a greater angle. Thanks in advance for any ideas u all might have.

i think you can shave the turnbuckles or something..I don't know i read it on another forum but If i find it i will post it.

Dude what part of a stock turnbukle are you going to shave?

Don't listen to that make no sense at all.

You probably already aware tht you should center your steering servo first and get your wheels aligned the way You want it. If your running any aftermarket turnbuckle most all of them will have 2 set screws one on ea. side of the trunbuckle. This will allow You to make the adjustment for toeing in or toeing out. Good rule for the front end is to keep your toeing straight. The rears you want in at 1 to 2 degrees or a very slight toe in look as well as cambered in the same but that would be your A- amrs for cambering in.

HPI25 No you won't post a thread from another site to this site. Don't post back with WHY not.

Ok Hop I WON"T Sorry just thought I could help. Can I ask the person what he did then post it?

I have done the grinding mod to my older hubs. It does allow the knuckles to turn farther giving sharper turning. I will be doing this soon to my new hubs and knuckles and will take pics of the area needing ground.
If you just bash I'm not sure if this is needed. Most of the time the stock steering setup works fine if it is adjusted properly. Your alingment has to be correct for it to work properly.

When racing sometimes depending on the track a tighter turning radius has been helpful. in some areas. My unsavage right now works great except for tight turning. But it is using stock hubs. When it was just a mid tank conversion, I had the hubs ground and it made all the difference in tight turns. My savage is around 3 years old and I never broke a hub or knuckle. In fact I still have the stock arms. I only broke one dogbone.

Before making any changes though, Check your srevo saver, Steering servo strength. Caster and toe. All of these factors help when correcting a bad steering vehicle. I have been tuning all of my own trucks and cars fo over 30 years. Right now I have about 15 cars and trucks from mini to 1/4 scales. Each one needs adjusted differently due to weight and tires and track surface.
I hope some of this helps with you decision.

Hey thanks all for the input. I am definately going to race it and it will be on a track with some tighter turns. Below is a list of most if not all of the mods I have so far.

FastLaneMachine lcg extended chassis 1.5"
flm engine mount
flm servo mount
jr 8550 dig high speed servo for steering
integy adjustable front upper a arms
integy piggy back shocks
mid tank conversion

Any other mods you all would recommend or parts that should be upgraded?

Thanks

blowpopracer said:
Hey thanks all for the input. I am definately going to race it and it will be on a track with some tighter turns. Below is a list of most if not all of the mods I have so far.

FastLaneMachine lcg extended chassis 1.5"
flm engine mount
flm servo mount
jr 8550 dig high speed servo for steering
integy adjustable front upper a arms
integy piggy back shocks
mid tank conversion

Any other mods you all would recommend or parts that should be upgraded?

Thanks

if you want a smaller turning circle, check this:
www.rcfun.nl/product_info.php?cPath=234&products_id=12325
you got longer tvp`s so your turning circle will increase, make the wheelbase wider and your turning circle will decrease again.

When they say it is extended .5" is that .5" total or .5" both sides? If you don't know I will just contact Fast Lane and check with them. I really didnt wanna add any more alum. cause of weight, since I want it to be a racer, but if it makes it turn better it would be well worth it. Plus they look darn good anyways.:D

Latest posts

Members online

Back