steel spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devoejl

what are the downsides of putting a steel spur gear i am eating through the plastic ones like they are candy and eveything seems tight?

its not a new spur gear u need. u have to set ur gear mesh properly. do a quick search on here theres plenty hints and tips to setting the mesh. (iv never had to do it yet so i cant tell u how its done, sorry)

i have tried aligning it and the mesh seems right but to get it that way i have my engine max adjusted to one side so i don't have any more room to adjust ?

by chance could you take a pic of that area and let us take a look, might help

thxs

will do thanks for the help this is a new hobbie for me

While I do agree that steel spur gears tend to "cover up" other problems and if all is well a plastic spur should hold up to even the strongest engines in the heaviest trucks, there are times when a steel spur is the better choice, and maybe devoejl is nearing that point. What I mean is, after checking and rechecking the mesh and threadlock and alignment and everything else, the owner will be very frustrated. They can keep searching and testing and destroying plastic spurs on a daily basis while trying to figure out the problem, or they could switch to a steel spur.

The steel spur doesn't fix the actual problem, but most likely it will cover it up sufficiently such that the owner can stop fighting the truck and start driving and enjoying the truck.

I burned through two plastic spurs during the first three years of owning my Savage, but then I started blowing them left and right, couldn't even get one tank through before the spur was destroyed! After about the fifth plastic spur was gone, I though to myself, "I could keep chasing this problem down, put a new plastic spur in every five minutes, and get frustrated and probably stop driving my truck for a while, or I could bolt in a steel spur and stop thinking about it and just have fun." So I did. I don't regret it.

Sure, whatever the problem was that caused the failure of the plastic spurs probably still exists, but the steel spur can handle whatever the problem is, and I'm enjoying my Savage again.

To answer the question from earlier, there really isn't much of a downside to a steel spur gear other than you must run a hardened clutch bell (no big deal) and there's a little bit more rotating mass your engine has to move. All else being equal, your truck will accelerate marginally slower, but I doubt you'd even notice a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am just worried about breaking something expensive right now spur gears are a cheap break point if something is wrong the steel gear wont strip so what else is getting stressed. i am still working on the pics. thanks for all the responces.

Never Ever Ever Ever Buy A Gpm Gear They Are C@!p.

Try running a different spur gear and clutch combo if u have no more rumm for adjustment also I would stick with the plactic one (U have to get that mesh right keep trying

hi all, i've had my SAVAGE X for about three months. you should check out HPIs' site they have a video on how to check gear mesh, worked for me. The only problem i have is it doesn't stay were i set it, i think i need to use stronger thread lock. other than that i'm still using the original spur gear, changed the stock 15tooth clutch bell for a 18tooth. (original is still in mint condition, i wanted less wheelies.) Peace.:nutshot:

Latest posts

Members online

Back