Stalling Engine Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yz250roost

Hi Everyone,
I'm somewhat of a newbie here and I've got a question. I broke in my Savage X yesterday and everything went great. I ran a full 4 tanks through it before going anywhere near full throttle and the truck is running about 220 degrees.

When I go full throttle and then need to stop quickly, the engine dies. Typically if I hit the brakes it kills it, but sometimes if I just let off the gas it will kill the truck.

Now, I haven't touched the high speed mixture setting yet and I was wondering what I should do to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I adjusted the low speed mixture to get the engine temp down during break in and I adjusted the idle because it was idling too high. Other than that I haven't touched a thing. Thanks for your help!

it idleing too high, was prob about right. if at idle on your trans is set with trim, then when you apply the brakes it shuts the slide in the carb too much, causing the engine to die. if you take the shell off and without the truck running apply the brakes and you'll probably see the throttle closing too far. hope this helps

What is happening is you're carb is closing all the way preventing your engine from getting enough fuel. Not a problem though, You need to turn your idle needle(NOT YOUR LOW END!) clockwise 1/4 of a turn. If it still stalls turn it another 1/4 turn and so on. I would reset your low end needle to it's factory settings as well, it says the factory settings in the manual. Your low end should be flush and look like this (I). All the idle does is regulate how much fuel your engine gets when it is at neutral. Your truck is fine though have fun and tune your needles in small increments, like 1/4 or less.

OK great. The only thing is the idle seems too fast, if I tune the truck to idle without rolling forward, the truck will die after a high speed run. If I tune the truck to not die after a high speed run, it will roll forward when idling.

I hope I'm making sense, it gets kinda confusing when I'm trying to explain it.

So I take it that I need to adjust the high speed mixture, then adjust the idle?

OK great. The only thing is the idle seems too fast, if I tune the truck to idle without rolling forward, the truck will die after a high speed run. If I tune the truck to not die after a high speed run, it will roll forward when idling.

I hope I'm making sense, it gets kinda confusing when I'm trying to explain it.

So I take it that I need to adjust the high speed mixture, then adjust the idle?

For now reset your low end and adjust idle, the high end isn't the problem. make your low end flush like in this picture.
osmg2076.jpg

From there work on the idle make sure your throttle is at neutral, you can adjust it with the little nob on your radio. Just turn your idle in and out, little by little. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back